Not so ghetto gun light

sortafast

Enlightened
I really dont know why, but I kinda have a thing for makin gun lights. the first one was a total hodge podge that worked till i put the batteries in backerds and fried the board. Now fast forward a year, and I think I finally am getting things down a bit more. So here you go:

glight1an5.jpg

An ugly side shot. Maybe when I make my tens of hundreds of dollars selling bike lights I will buy a better digicam.

glight2uf5.jpg

As for the build we have:

HF Lathe made light housing (should be water tight once I get around to sealing the cable hole)

Edison KLC8 3w emitter

Khatod narrow 20mm optic with holder painted with GITD paint (not very tac, but fun)

1050mA board from DX which I think I forgot to jumper it so its only runnin at 750mA. I think, its all glued in and works just fine so I aint gonna mess with it.

2400mAh 18650 protected cell powering it.

And a UTG vertical foregrip with a Judco clickly slightly recessed into the side of the grip. The grip also houses the "converter", the battery, and I put a 2.5mm charging jack in it that is accessed by removing the bottom screw thingy on the grip. I had to do a lot of mods to get the grip to function right and do what I want it to

So far this thing seems to do the job pretty well. I am not so fond of the yellow ring that the edisons have around the hotspot, but hey its what I had on hand and it seems to work good otherwise. The switch is a little tricky to get to with my big ol monkey hands, just a little, but it still works and has a momentary function too. Only problem is that the barrel kinda gets in the way of the beam a little and throws a slight shadow. My solution (as approved by the wife :twothumbs) SBR the SOB. I need to go out into the woods at night and see how far it throws. So far it seems to get out to 20-30yds/paces no problem and with a fair amount of light. Next project is to make a tri cree Q5 gun light powered by 123 primaries. probably use the same grip mods, but use a pressure or tape switch instead of the clicky. Might also mess around with mounting a [dr.evil] "laser" [/dr.evil] to it too just for the hell of it. All in all it was a fun project, just took waaaaaaaay longer than I had anticipated. Only thing to do know is take it to the range for some live fire and see how she holds up. But with 223 it shouldnt be a problem.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as it works and works good, excellent mod !
Don't mind the rings... Think of it as an extra part
outside of the center beam that can/will also blind
any opponent... :)

sortafast

Enlightened
nope. It goes boom for real. Built that myself too (not like its that hard to do tho). Dont own any airsoft guns.

-dave

sortafast

Enlightened
Funny how I can afford to build a light for it from scratch, yet I cant afford to shoot the dang thing:duh2:. Oh well, good somewhat clean fun either way.