Anyone know a light brighter than the Legend LX around the same size as the LX?

beam_me_up

Enlightened
The Scorpion is not as bright so that is out...I want something brighter that is still at this pocketable size....any recommendations?

beam_me_up

Enlightened
Is the e2e brighter ? I thought I read somewhere that it was not...I need something about the same size as the LX... how about that lambda....is that brighter? I think the legend LX puts out 5.7 watts and i heard the lambda is 5 watt so I would guess no...

beam_me_up

Enlightened
Now if you can just tell me what a P61 LA is I'll be all set
smile.gif

yclo

Flashaholic*
P61 is a lamp assembly made by Surefire. It can be used in various Surefire line lights (such as 6P, D2, G2, C2, M2).

Here is a link to the Surefire website about it.

Hope it helps.

YC

ToddM

Enlightened
That's a good one, in that size frame I'd think you'd either have to go with surefires 3 cell counterparts (D3/C3) with the 200 lumen p91 bulb.

If your not impressed with the scorpion then I'd say a 2 cell surefire with a p61 bulb is out. My scorpion in the center on its tightest focus almost as bright as my 9p with the standard 110 lumen bulb, so I don't think the p61 bulb at 120 lumens would be a big upgrade either unless it was coupled with a turbohead. Where the p91 200 lumen bulb in my 9p really shows the scorpion up.

Runtime can be a issue, not sure how long the LX runs but any of those higher surefire bulbs only run 20 minutes on 3 batteries, so that could add to expense as well.

It kind of depends on if you want brightness and a tight beam or the most overall light. The surefires throw a ton of light but without the turbo head don't have a real tight long throw beam like some of the narrow spot lights do. If you just want the brightest small spot of light surefires without the turbo head are really not the way to go. The provide more of a nice round smooth beam, brighter in the center but not a small super bright spot.

I'd say in the same general size your best bet would be a surefire D3/C3 with a 200 lumen p91 bulb. Both of them run about $100 and a p91 bulb is probably $20. 20 minutes of runtime on 3 lithiums but a ton of light in a small package. The M3 is a little bigger but gets a 225 lumen bulb on 3 lithiums but again price jumps up to $200 or so.

If your looking for something with a very narrow tight bright beam.....

I've heard ASP lithium light has a very narrow bright beam. Also the UK SL6 is one of the brighter narrow beams I know of (but it's a 6 c cell two rows of 3 so it's larger and heavier). You can put a turbo head on the surefires but that adds about $75 to the price and makes the head of the flashlight about 2.5" in dia. so not really nice to toss in a pocket.

Once you start looking at other lights in the same brightness it's amazing how good of a deal those lx lights are for $20.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kogatana:
I hate to sound flippant but several of the 6 volt Surefire products with a P61 LA are definitely brighter than the Legend LX in stock form. Congruently, one may modify the LX by simply removing the reflector,lamp, and base and installing a P61 LA.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is it that simple? No grinding, cutting or other hacking activities are needed, just a simple drop and replace? If so I think I might try replacing the stock bulb with a P61. The lens of the LX appears to be quite delicate though. I think it might melt quite easily.