Used my PT Blast a couple nights ago. Times have changed.

paulr

Flashaholic
The Blast is a cute little side by side 2AAA incandescent light with an integral pocket/hat clip. It was one of my favorite lights a few years ago (my review). I still have one in my belt pack, mainly as a spare AAA cell carrier for my Fenix L0D CE and my Sandisk M260 mp3 player that I listen to at work. The light itself (shell and lamp assembly) weighs almost nothing and a flashaholic can never have too many lights on hand.

Around the time I bought the Blast (2003 or so), I also got a couple of Arc LSL-P factory seconds. I better mention that was the heyday of the Luxeon Lottery, so a factory second means the led was lousy even by the standards of that era. My Arc leds in particular had a nasty purple cast. But my observation at that time was that the Blast and the Arcs were roughly equal in brightness, so aside from reliability advantages, it seemed to me that Luxeon lights were basically techno-gadgets. The Arc was 6x as expensive as the Blast, plus needed relatively exotic batteries, for about the same total output. I bought a bunch of extra Blasts for my brother, my mom, and my general flashlight pile.

So the other night I was working late and needed a light to find the restroom with. I reached into the belt pack for my L0D CE and my hand landed on the Blast and I figured I hadn't used that light in a while, might as well give it some love. Went to the restroom with it and came back, a bit amused by the lumpy yellow beam that I hadn't dealt with in a while. The Blast was perfectly functional, of course. But I'd gotten used to using the Fenix and more recently the Spy 005/Seoul, with their beautiful white beams (especially the Spy).

I decided to do an impromptu indoor comparison between the Blast and the Fenix L0D CE lighting up some photos that were on the wall 15 feet away or so. Result: the Blast (with two Titanium 900 mAH AAA NiMH cells) was about equal to the Fenix on "medium". The Blast (per my test of a couple years ago) maintains that brightness for about 90 min on two AAA's. The Fenix (per Chevrofreak) runs for close to 3 hours on medium on ONE cell (AAA NiMH) before reaching 50%. Or nearly an hour on its high mode which is about 2x as bright. I'll mention for fairness that the Blast with new alkalines (it's sold with a pair of them) is a bit brighter than with NiMH, though it doesn't stay that way for very long. However, for cost and environmental reasons I use rechargeables for just about all my AA/AAA devices.

Back when I got the Blast, my main EDC was an Arc AAA, and I said something like 5mm led lights were now (then) completely superior to tiny incans like the M*g Solitaire, but incans were still about equal once power got higher (Luxeon vs Blast). Now though, it seems to me that incans are just completely crushed at that medium power level too. Serious hotwires still beat leds, and mid-power incans still have a color rendition advantage outdoors, but otherwise Blast-like lights are near obsolete.

I still think maybe I'll drop my Tekna Splashlite (1x123, K222 screwbase incan bulb) into my pocket to use at work for the next few days, just so it won't get too lonely (I do occasionally use it at home for about the same reason).

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny you brought this up. I had semi retired my Blast but I picked up some Lithium AAAs a while back and stuck a pair into the Blast recently and was pleasantly surprised.

It and it's 4xAAA big brother are still in my travel kits. They're pretty tough lights and seriously waterproof. I'd like a Cree/SSC version that put out the light and was this rugged but I guess heat would kill it.

-LT

paulr

Flashaholic
I think lithium AAA's will blow the Blast's bulb pretty fast. But if they used a Cree at 75 mA or so, it would probably put out comparable light to the xenon bulb while running cool and getting tremendous runtime. The Tektite Splashlite LS amounts to something like this but with a Luxeon.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still carry a Blast (and a UK 2L) in my work jacket every night to work. I have to pass through a metal detector going into work (UPS) and need non-metallic lights, as well as something cheap and durable. The Blast definitely fits the bill, and if/when I gove it to a manager during a power outage I won't be heartbroken if I don't get it back. I have a couple more as spares. For the money and size it is hard to beat the Blast.

paulr

Flashaholic
I agree the Blast still has its uses, however I wouldn't give them out in power failures. That's what Fauxtons are for ;)

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree the Blast still has its uses, however I wouldn't give them out in power failures. That's what Fauxtons are for ;)
Not too sure a fauxton would cut it where I work. The building I work in is more than 6 acres inside (over 250,000 square feet) and I work at night, so no daylight streaming in. We've only had two power outages in the seven years I've worked there though, so my Blast should be pretty safe.:)

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
I haven't used my Blast much but will never relegate it to the trash heap. As long as it works it's still useful. I decided to get it at the time (along with a handful of other Princeton Tec lights) because of its size, brightness and ruggedness while standing at the REI flashlight section. It was before all the recent LED advancements.

I just put in the spare bulb that I bought with the purchase of the light a few years ago. This thing is just so convenient to pack along that it can ride most anywhere and be there when you need it.
:thumbsup:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I modded one with an SMJLED back when they came out. On direct drive on Alks its brighter than a ARCAAA. Better beam too. On Li its even better. Never tried it with NiMh though.

The Rage used to be called the "poor man's E2e" back in the days when there were only 300 CPF members.

21e9h75.jpg

Last edited:

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rage used to be called the "poor man's E2e" back in the days when there were only 300 CPF members.
You sure about that? I thought it was sometimes called the "poor man's E1e"? Much closer to the E1e insize and output than the E2e, even with the LOLA.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
I modded one with an SMJLED back when they came out. On direct drive on Alks its brighter than a ARCAAA. Better beam too. On Li its even better. Never tried it with NiMh though.

Hey Dave,

can you describe how you did the mod? How is the runtime on alks?

I wouldn't mind picking one up for a mod, just not sure it's worth it.

Wouldn't mind one of these tough little lights...

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Dave,

can you describe how you did the mod? How is the runtime on alks?

I wouldn't mind picking one up for a mod, just not sure it's worth it.

Wouldn't mind one of these tough little lights...
I doubt its worth the mod. The problem is that PT produced two versions of this light. The early version used a shallow reflector with a removable bulb and no clip. I did have to remove a bit of material around the LED and widen the hole a bit, but basically it dropped right in. The later reflectors were deeper and the whole assembly is replaced. I think the bulb is soldered in.

The ecoflare is a blast body with a cone head it also uses a removable bulb/Red LED combo and can be modded the same way. Actually I think the picture is from that.

I also modded a blast with an Opalec back when they came out. That was a real pain and wasn't brighter than the MJLED on Alks, but back then it was pretty cool. The runtime was terrible, about 2.5 hrs. (I was hoping for 5) although it did work on NiMh.

Ahh, brings back some good memories from my early years on CPF when mods were cheap and done with your bare hands and basic tools. :)
Not like the fancy schist you see on CPF today.

fishx65

Enlightened
Years ago the Blast was my favorite fishing torch. Always liked how you could use it as a handheld or clip it to a ball cap. I still have 4 of them but they don't get used much. I also have a couple of Rages that still get a little use. The Rage is a bright little sucker!!! Would be cool if PT Creed these two!!