Visually identifying an XRE Q4 (mounted on a star)

HumanLumen

Newly Enlightened
Is there any way of visually inspecting a Q4 XRE to ascertain that it is a Q4 (as opposed to a Q2)? I received one recently from Cutter and the order was slightly wrong in as much as they delivered a Star instead of the emitter, so I am wondering if the flux bin is incorrect as well. Note that I do not have a second emmiter to test it against.

Cheers

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
No way to inspect it, the best you can do is compare it's output against another XR-E, and even then it's not a sure way as LEDs vary. I supsect that it's very likely the bin you ordered though.

HumanLumen

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply.
I think it is the wrong bin as the tint is also immediately wrong at most drive levels is (purple), whereas I ordered a 'Soft white' WH tint - the only purple tint is P4 WM bin, so what I guess I am asking is does the the new 4 wire dice apply to P4 as well as the Q bins? I will put a photoradiometer on the LED today to verify the CCT

Cheers

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read that the later production P4s have 4 bond wires like the Q series.

Illum

Flashaholic
its like trying to visually identify the difference between a YA tint luxeon and an X0 tin luxeon....you really have to light it up and compare the color:huh:

HumanLumen

Newly Enlightened
Oh yes, the item is well heatsinked - the colour is noticable immediately at all drive levels, and does not alter with time (if the heatsink was not effective, the LED would take a number of seconds to go blue). The mounted part only dropped 2% of light output after being driven at 917mA for 2 mins 47 seconds - for reference, the P1D changes the same 2% on high in only 1 min and 5 seconds.
I checked the colour co-ordintes xy is .3086, .3127 - they put it firmly in the WC bin. Running at 220mA made negligable difference. The actual lumens seem to be correct though, assuming that the P1D runs at 700mA on high and is a P4 bin at about 84Lm at 350mA.
I thought that CREEs could only be bought in set combination of colour temp bins according to their order codes - is this true??

Cheers,

MJR

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I clarify here - WC is blue or purple tint, WG is green tint, while WD is the closest to white? I'd like to get a better idea of how these tints match up with the bin chart on page 6 of the XR-E binning and labelling datasheet PDF.

Edit - never mind, just saw https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2107196&postcount=2 which I think is just what I wanted to know.

Last edited: