Wiseled Tactical Review - Old & New models comparison, with Beamshots

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

as some of you may remember, some time ago I posted a review of the Wiseled Tactical flashlight.

I phoned Wiseled recently and got GREAT news:

The Wiseled Tactical will soon come with Seoul P4 LED's! :thumbsup:

It is not on the market yet, and I am one of the first in the world to test it for Wiseled! I was allowed to let the cat out of the sack sort of speak.

The predecessor had Luxeon K2 emitters. On Full Boost, I tested it to have a run time of slightly under 1 hour. Due to heat after 8 minutes the flashlight would dim one step down, giving 70 % of its full light capacity. After some further minutes, you could boost up the flashlight to FULL capacity once again.

This review will be a COMPARISON BETWEEN THE "OLD" AND THE NEW WISELED TACTICAL.

Now for the Seoul P4 Tactical:

This flashlight has an effect of 30 W, giving MUCH less heat from the LED's and resulting an much longer run times. The LED's are assembled in series with a total of 930 mA. I have tested the run time to be about 1 hour 50 minutes! And the flashlight does not get quite as warm as its predecessor, resulting in a "drop" in light after 20 minutes and not 8 as before. There are still no official lumens counts, but I would say it lights with about 1400 lumens + :thumbsup:

Now for some comparative beam shots (scenes taken at night in a park, always FIRST K2 then P4 of the SAME scene(s)):

K2 (down a small road, 50 metres distance to sign):
PICT0258.jpg

P4 (same road. Note how the P4 gets much more light to the sides and more throw):
PICT0259.jpg

K2 (again a tree top, here at about 50 metres distance):
PICT0261.jpg

P4 (same tree top and distance):
PICT0260.jpg

K2 (a tree, approx. 50 metres distance):
PICT0263.jpg

P4 (same tree top, same distance! Wow, look at that difference!):
PICT0264.jpg

K2 (twin trees, at 25 metres distance):
PICT0267.jpg

P4 (same twin trees and distance. WOAH!:
PICT0266.jpg

K2 (directly into a shrubbery from 1,5 metres distance):
PICT0269.jpg

P4:
PICT0268.jpg

K2 (up into the three tops, approx. 15 metres distance):
PICT0271.jpg

P4 (same tree top. Note how much detail the P4 shows!):
PICT0270.jpg

K2 (lighting at a sign that is 70 metres away):
PICT0273.jpg

P4 (same sign, same distance):
PICT0272.jpg

BTW: The front piece and end piece of the flashlight can be unscrewed and exchanged if it is damaged by a fall. Note also that the Wiseled flashlights in fact are serial numbered! :
PICT0275.jpg

PICT0280.jpg

(Note: The "P4" label is only to identify which flashlight is which when I tested them, since on the outside they are identical, the look of the LED's, too:)
PICT0284.jpg

There has been much criticism about the fact that the socket at the end of the flashlight is OPEN and that the electrical wires would corrode in salt water:
PICT0281.jpg

What Wiseled has forgotten to tell is that there is an ENDCAP availible for their flashlights. The endcap has an O-ring that protects the wires from getting in contact with water. Here it is:
PICT0282.jpg

And here it is mounted on the end of the flashlight:
PICT0283.jpg

I must conclude that the new Wiseled Tactical with P4 emitters REALLY makes a difference! Both in overall light output. You get MUCH more light, MORE throw and last but not least much more WHITE light :thumbsup::thumbsup:

IMHO, it is simply the BEST LED flashlight out there. You cannot get much better in terms of QUALITY! :twothumbs

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Wiseled Tactical! NEW REVIEW! Beamshots inside!

I had read in an earlier review of Weis lights that they contain a circuitry that self-discharges because it maintains the last level of light used when the light is again activated. Does this newest Tactical have that circuitry? Also, can you attach the new Seoul head to the old Tactical body?

bill lafferty

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened

I had read in an earlier review of Weis lights that they contain a circuitry that self-discharges because it maintains the last level of light used when the light is again activated. Does this newest Tactical have that circuitry? Also, can you attach the new Seoul head to the old Tactical body?

bill lafferty

1) As far as I know, the new Tactical has the same circuitry. It is advisable to leave on constantly in the charger. Charging time is about 2 hours btw. If you'd leave the flashlight out of the charger, in about 14 days it would have selfdischarged. I really don't think this is a problem.

2) No, customers cannot attach the new Seoul head to the "old" body. Or you MIGHT be able to do that, but you'd void the guarantee by doing this selfmade mod. I put "body" in quotes, since in fact the "old" and "new" Tactical have the EXACT SAME body. I couldn't even tell one from the other, so I put a label with "P4" on the new one to tell them apart. But when you light each of them and hold their lights against an object? BOY, do I then tell the difference :eek:oo:

Last edited:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

i have been in touch with wiseled,and yes you can upgrade.the old with the new.however at cost around $290:awman: but the new ones will retail at around $780,what to do:thinking::ohgeez:

Mash

Enlightened

those look like Polymer Optic lenses!
How are the leds attached to the lenses?
Are they glued, or they just fit on top and held by the bezel?

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

That metal end cap.should come as standard IMHO.for the sake of what $16+.I mean the light cost retail $599 for the old tactical.but you get no end cap thats sad.

Patriot

Flashaholic

That metal end cap.should come as standard IMHO.for the sake of what $16+.I mean the light cost retail $599 for the old tactical.but you get no end cap thats sad.

Yes, it's pretty sad that WISELED doesn't include the cap and both chargers. I was fortunate to get a large discount off of the retail price, but the WISELED marketing team really need to reconsider and offer good value within their product line. Go ahead and charge $600 for the light but include some useful accessories.

My other problem with the WISLED is that is doesn't have a user replaceable battery, and it does self discharge after about 30 days. I don't enjoy that at all.

I do love everything else about the Tactical though. It has a beautiful beam and I greatly prefer it over my M6. The strobe feature is absolutely shocking to somebody not expecting it and the user interface is pretty good now too. It's my favorite flashlight and I'm happy to see that it's going to be available with P4s

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was thinking,next wiseled tactical 7 rebel led's since these are the new boys in town.wow what would that be like.

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened

I was thinking,next wiseled tactical 7 rebel led's since these are the new boys in town.wow what would that be like.

IMHO, that would be a poor "rebellion" :crackup:

Since the P4 are the toughest boys in town at the moment :thumbsup:

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened

which way you cut it ,upgrade or new,yes wallets are doomed:poof:

Well, that depends on how you are looking at things. In the long run, a Wiseled Tactical is in fact cheaper than ANY light in its class, IF you can find a "lamp in its class" at ALL.

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened

those look like Polymer Optic lenses!
How are the leds attached to the lenses?
Are they glued, or they just fit on top and held by the bezel?

The lense is glued and has an O-ring inside, too. The light is really a diver's lamp and guaranteed waterproof (NOT just "dunkable") to a staggering 300 ft.! The front bezel does NOT play any role whatsoever in terms of waterproofness.

As stated, the top and bottom bezel can be taken off, if you want to exchange it by a fresh one. Furthermore, you can buy a large lanyard ring to fit between the lamp itself and the detachable front bezel. In that way, you can attach a lanyard between the small, standard lanyard ring at the back and the larger lanyard ring at the front to thus being able to carry the lamp around in a "briefcase" manner, if you'd like.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, that depends on how you are looking at things. In the long run, a Wiseled Tactical is in fact cheaper than ANY light in its class, IF you can find a "lamp in its class" at ALL.

No offense, but this statement depends also how you are looking at things:rolleyes:

Due to the non-user replaceable battery it could be very expensive to get a new one by sending the light to the factory, beside the time-frame.
Also the reliability of the electronics could be complicate things, in the long run.

It's only me, but I prefer the simple/reliable construction of the Barbolight U-15 although the overall output is less.
Carrying spare cells as much I need/want and easy replaceable by good sources like "AW".

Best regards

____
Tom

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened

A fresh battery would be around US 100 but will last for at least 6 years or even more.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast

........ but will last for at least 6 years or even more.

In the case of a LiIon I doubt this.
Specially if the light is constant plugged to the charger.

The statements of Wiseled about the liferate of their batts. is simply not true:

"The batteries have a 10 year shelf lifetime and can do a minimum of 1000 FULL charges. Since the batteries and the charging is controlled by our intelligent inbuilt charging circuitry the lifetime IS maximized. With a daily use of 2-3 hours the batteries will last for more than 5 years."

In this 3 sentences is the antithesis itself.
5years= 1825 days = 1825 charging cycles beside that 1000 cycles are overvalued.

I don't want to bash this light, but reports should be objective.

Best regards

____
Tom

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened

In the case of a LiIon I doubt this.
Specially if the light is constant plugged to the charger.

The statements of Wiseled about the liferate of their batts. is simply not true:

"The batteries have a 10 year shelf lifetime and can do a minimum of 1000 FULL charges. Since the batteries and the charging is controlled by our intelligent inbuilt charging circuitry the lifetime IS maximized. With a daily use of 2-3 hours the batteries will last for more than 5 years."

In this 3 sentences is the antithesis itself.
5years= 1825 days = 1825 charging cycles beside that 1000 cycles are overvalued.

I don't want to bash this light, but reports should be objective.

Best regards

____
Tom

Note that I wrote 6 years for the same reason.

And it does not harm the battery to leave the flashlight in the charger.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is it correct to say leaving it on charge is just to maintain max charge,therefore it is not going through a complete recharge cycle.thus prolonging the batt life.:thinking: