SureFire L2 upgrade path?

Disciple

Enlightened
I tried to search on this and didn't find much, but I have a feeling that is only because I am not searching right.

I have a SureFire L2 I bought a few years ago. It is a good light, but I am always looking for more. I see now that lights like the Fenix P3D eclipse the L2 at a fraction of the cost.

What upgrades can be made to the L2 to match or exceed the output of these new (Cree?) lights?

PS. I would like some kind of a guard on the L2 button. I have seen mods like this here. What is the least expensive way to do this?

Last edited:

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I am getting my L2 modded by a member named milkyspit, he replaces the lux V led with a seoul led giving you about 180+ lumens of light. The P3D-CE is really liked around here but a surefire is still top of the line.

Max Brightness

Enlightened
I am getting my L2 modded by a member named milkyspit, he replaces the lux V led with a seoul led giving you about 180+ lumens of light. The P3D-CE is really liked around here but a surefire is still top of the line.

jbosman1013,what kind of runtime on high?how many lumens for the low mode?thanks

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had numerous Surefire L2's.

I've had my old L2 Upgraded with a SOB 1000 Driver and a SSC P4 USVOH.

It was a very good improvement as, No DOUGHNOUT HOLE, Improved throw, spill, and overall brightness.

It Doesn't get nearly as warm as the Lux V In the L2 or L4.

I agree there is nothing like having a Luxeon V, they're great and very bright.
But, you can't go wrong with a modded L2-Seoul. :D

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I think he said 2+ hours on high and a real long time on low. my reason for this mod is 1 brightness and 2 gitting rid of the DOUGHNUT HOLE
Christo_pull_hair.gif

carrot

Flashaholic
For the tailcap ring, I would contact Oregonshooter. He has a website too, where he has pictures and information on the delrin tailcap rings that he sells.

I believe MilkySpit might be able to help you upgrade the L2 to a Cree or Seoul if you are so inclined.

thanos

Newly Enlightened
What about water resistance, seals, overall toughnes etc. when modded? How does the l2 hold up (emphasis on longterm). I got an l2d-ce and surefire l2, but I only trust the l2 when I'm on walkabout... still those those runtimes with 180+ lumens dont sound too bad..........

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I too like that wide beams that the the KL1, L2 and L5 offer. My KL5 is fortunately cool running and bright. I also like the Seoul and Cree leds and would love to have a wide beamed single led Cree or Seoul light that would project like a L2 or KL4.

Bill

Disciple

Enlightened
For the tailcap ring, I would contact Oregonshooter. He has a website too, where he has pictures and information on the delrin tailcap rings that he sells.

That is exactly what I need at a very good price. Of course that means it is out of stock. :p

4557f0bcb353c_13682n.jpg

Seeing the beamshots, the ML2 looks very nice, in fact what I have wished the L2 was in the first place, but I am not sure it is worth the upgrade cost and voiding the warranty. There is a new Luxeon now I believe, is it even brighter?

Last edited:

Latest posts