Remodel : Removed popcorn ceiling and want to spray orange peel

Arkayne

Enlightened
I just removed the popcorn and would like to apply texture to the ceiling. Has anyone sprayed their own orange peel? Is this something I can do myself with minimum hardware investment or should I hire a professional?

I can rebuild Honda engines, weld pipes, and modify flashlights so I figure I can do home improvement. :)

mchlwise

Enlightened
I'm sure you have the skill. The equipment is the problem.

They sell aerosol cans of the stuff at Home Depot, but they don't cover all that much, and it gets expensive pretty quick.

If you have an air compressor, you might be able to rent the gun from a local tool rental type place.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy a cheapie gun at Harbor Freight that will work very well. Mine has seen probably 20 sacks of texture, both plain and acoustic, with no problems. It's adjustable for different texture compositions.

Your problem might be a compressor. The hopper guns don't require a lot of pressure, but they do require a lot of volume (cfm).

Don't be afraid to experiment. Worst thing that can happen is that you scrape it off (easy when it's wet) and do it over.

lildave

Newly Enlightened
you use a hopper, but I perfer exp/ celing to rent a full machine from home depot 40$ save your arms. use white tip.

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
I think the pressure is supposed to be set real low for the orange peel texture. Like 20 psi or something. I'll ask my dad tomorrow, he is remodeling his whole house right now.