Advice Please AAA Single Mode Light

fluke

Enlightened
Here is what I need for a few friends.

AAA light L0P/L0DCE/B3 size.
L0DCE On High, brightness and runtime.

Possibly LukeA Ultrafire B3 Rebel Conversion ?
Derek (datiLED) is doing me an L0P Seoul Mod, but I don't think that will be as bright as an L0DCE on high.

Any advice gratefully excepted.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
If these are for non-flashaholics then either include a pair of AAA eneloops and a charger with each light, or go for a lower powered light like the Arc AAA or Peak Matterhorn. If you don't include nimh cells and a charging system, they will put in alkaline AAA cells, and the high power lights you're talking about really don't perform well on alkalines because of their lower current capability.

fluke

Enlightened
Thanks guy's, they are non flashaholics, they are cab drivers and want keychain lights, most of them are tight, IE: don't like spending, they are impressed with the L0DCE but don't fancy the multi stages.

They want a bright small (keychain) light, some have Solitaire's but, they are £9.99 ($20+) here so a $10 light will see em OK, couple of them have those coast keychain clickies that take the watch cells, but they think they are dim, so Arc's are not an option, most will not appreciate the engineering or extended runtimes.

Looks like the Ultrafire B3 in standard form will fit the bill, unless I can get em to part with more cash.

They are really impressed with the modded Coast Hocus Focus, but will never pay for it, $86 ish with the re mailing, £43 odd that is way too much for them to part with.

Last edited:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hiya Fluke,
Wow, £43 for a modded Coast Hocus Focus is very good. My friend got a standard one in London and it cost him £50 !!

As for the AAA small light, you may want to hang on a few weeks, I feel sure someone will make a AAA rebel LED product soon.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
LumaPower was supposed to have an AAA light coming out this month. But, after the shakeup at the factory in China, it will probably be at least another month before we see their AAA offering.

I have an unconfirmed source that tells me the LumaPower AAA light will be using the 100lm Rebel LED. That is all that I know at this point. :confused:

If past history holds true, it will not be the smallest AAA light out there. LP is fond of making chunky lights.

bp044

Enlightened
Here is what I need for a few friends.

AAA light L0P/L0DCE/B3 size.
L0DCE On High, brightness and runtime.

Possibly LukeA Ultrafire B3 Rebel Conversion ?
Derek (datiLED) is doing me an L0P Seoul Mod, but I don't think that will be as bright as an L0DCE on high.

Any advice gratefully excepted.
Light weight ,small size and NiMH AAA use only are my first priorities.Suggestions wlcome

fluke

Enlightened
Hiya Fluke,
Wow, £43 for a modded Coast Hocus Focus is very good. My friend got a standard one in London and it cost him £50 !!

As for the AAA small light, you may want to hang on a few weeks, I feel sure someone will make a AAA rebel LED product soon.

Yep Jay (FlashCrazy) supplying and modding for $69 (£35 odd) is superb, just look at a 2D LED Mag £49.99 in Argos ($100 odd), that is just crazy what we have to pay for flashlights over here.
And don't get me started about 1 Duracell CR123A for £5 ($10) in Woolworths :faint: :faint:

Edit: That £43 ($86) includes Tom (Unforgiven) remailing charge which was £8.50 odd ($17) which is outstanding value.

Last edited:

cv3po

Banned
LOD-CE on 10440 li-ions. If you only use the medium (primary) level, which is the first level you get when you twist it on, it is at least as bright as an LOD on high with an alk or ni-mh batt. This makes it almost a single stage light as the first setting is all you should need. If that is too bright simply drop to the next setting (low). If you avoid the last high setting, by most accounts the 10440's are safe to use in this light. Cheers!

barkingmad

Enlightened
LOD-CE on 10440 li-ions. If you only use the medium (primary) level, which is the first level you get when you twist it on, it is at least as bright as an LOD on high with an alk or ni-mh batt. This makes it almost a single stage light as the first setting is all you should need. If that is too bright simply drop to the next setting (low). If you avoid the last high setting, by most accounts the 10440's are safe to use in this light. Cheers!

Not sure I could really recommend Li-ion cells to people who may not exactly know what they are (the risks of overcharge / overdischarge etc.).

The Fenix L0D-CE with 10440's is a great light but think I would run it on Ni-Mh Eneloops instead.

barkingmad

Enlightened
Yep Jay (FlashCrazy) supplying and modding for $69 (£35 odd) is superb, just look at a 2D LED Mag £49.99 in Argos ($100 odd), that is just crazy what we have to pay for flashlights over here.
And don't get me started about 1 Duracell CR123A for £5 ($10) in Woolworths :faint: :faint:

Edit: That £43 ($86) includes Tom (Unforgiven) remailing charge which was £8.50 odd ($17) which is outstanding value.

2D LED Mag in Argos for just shy of £50/$100 is crazy when you can get a 2D Mag for about £12-15/$25-30 and get a Terralux drop-in for about £13/$25.

But if you did want the 'official' Maglite LED (2D) you can get it in the UK for about £30 if you look around... :whistle:

fluke

Enlightened
2D LED Mag in Argos for just shy of £50/$100 is crazy when you can get a 2D Mag for about £12-15/$25-30 and get a Terralux drop-in for about £13/$25.

But if you did want the 'official' Maglite LED (2D) you can get it in the UK for about £30 if you look around... :whistle:

But....
You could get it from the US and delivered for half that :twothumbs

cv3po

Banned
Not sure I could really recommend Li-ion cells to people who may not exactly know what they are (the risks of overcharge / overdischarge etc.).

The Fenix L0D-CE with 10440's is a great light but think I would run it on Ni-Mh Eneloops instead.

Very good point! To us, it seems simple to follow the two rules: 1; when it starts to visibly dim, recharge it. 2; never charge an unprotected li-ion unattended. However, it is hard to change several decades of alkaline behavior with cells that have only become popular in lights within the last couple of years! Here's hoping they manage a protected 10440 soon :thumbsup:

Until then, can a Fenix E1 be modded with a cree and would it be brighter or have longer runtime?

CJ

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until then, can a Fenix E1 be modded with a cree and would it be brighter or have longer runtime?

CJ
Right now, one can mod an UltraFire B3 with a Rebel and get 100 lumens for 30-40min.

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fluke, if you decide to go the modded B3 route, it will cost 9.50£ total to ship 1 light or 10. That ends up being 29.50£ shipped for 1 light or 20.95£ each for 10.

If you want your friends to think about getting upgraded B3s, have them look at the last pic in the thread in the link in my sig. :poke:

Last edited:

barkingmad

Enlightened
But....
You could get it from the US and delivered for half that :twothumbs

If it was not for the International delivery charges and risk of import duty, VAT (sales tax) and clearance fees if it was over £18/$36... :mad:

fluke

Enlightened
Fluke, if you decide to go the modded B3 route, it will cost 9.50£ total to ship 1 light or 10. That ends up being 29.50£ shipped for 1 light or 20.95£ each for 10.

If you want your friends to think about getting upgraded B3s, have them look at the last pic in the thread in the link in my sig. :poke:

£9.50 :faint: :faint:
Wow :eek: :eek: