Rear clickies on larger lights?

JRTJRT

Newly Enlightened
Advice needed on which light I should buy...

3C rear clicky (SLPP3C) vs 3C head twisty

Do the benefits of a rear clickie disappear on the larger lights such as the Streamlight Propolymer 3C? At least with the big Maglites you could switch overhanded with a thumb or underhanded with a finger, using only one hand and not having to switch grips all the time.

How does the rear clickie work efficiently on such a long light? Do you still use an overhand grip to thumb click or momentary flash, then go to an underhand grip to carry the light while walking around?

I thought a rear clickie would be much easier than a head twistie, but now it seems like the size makes them both about the same since both need two hands to switch? (comparing a 3C rear clicky to a 3C head twisty)

Is the Streamlight Propolymer 3C really a 2 handed flashlight when operating the switch?

Do rear clickies lose their appeal on larger lights?

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that you don't see tail clickies on larger lights is because the light's center of mass is too far away from the hand. I know Pelican makes a 3C light with a clickie right behind the head, but the biggest stock light with a tail clickie I've seen is the Pelican 7060.

scottaw

Enlightened
Think how you're more likely to hold your light, hold the very back few inches of a 3c light? Nope. I'm not a huge fan of tail clickies to begin with, not being a "tactical" kind of guy, but on large lights, it's just akward.

JRTJRT

Newly Enlightened
I think you guys are right. I've never heard of this being an issue... maybe I'm just picky....

Well I think I'll pass on the SLPP3C because of the rear clicky. If it was located where the Maglite clicky is I'd get it....

The SLPP4AA seems more reasonable for the rear clicky action. Guess I'll get one of those. :thumbsup: