What's your perfect UI?

x2x3x2

Banned
Wondering what kinda UI sequence do you guys like?
I dont mean like the NovaTac P kind, but the more common 5 modes kind.

Heres mine:
Low>Medium>High>SOS>Beacon with memory feature.

paulr

Flashaholic
Don't we already have a bunch of threads like this?

Spy 005 = greatest UI evah.

onthebeam

Enlightened
I think we can do better. Many of the current designs are CLUNKY and not much fun to use.

My choice would be:

1) Control switching by lightly pressing a clicky.

2) Default mode with two levels, low (lower than most on market now and no more than about 7 lumens) and 100%.

3) Rotate the head to go to a setting with three modes,

4) Choose from three user defined modes, such as low, medium and high, ideally programmable.

5) Let the user choose which stage would come on first. For me, that's low.

6) Forget the silly strobe, SOS modes, etc. For that, a "boyscout" light in khaki green is the answer, not for most typical EDC users.

Last edited:

x2x3x2

Banned
paulr, i know there have been threads like these before. Just wanted to know what the current views are now that people have tried the current common UI's available :)

Someone might have plans on producing a new light in the future and hopefully these feedback may be of use ;)

o0o

Enlightened
U2 is my favorite.

One button to turn it on... and then a dial to select the settings.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends.

For uber-multi function something that is completely user adjustable... like the Liteflux 2. Even better is something that I can adjust via PC (preferably with linux support) via a mini USB cable)

For standard 5-mode if you're looking for a sequence I think for me... Hi, Strobe, Low, SOS, Beacon (I'm not a fan of medium)

I like the Interface Fenix has with the turbo on demand bezel twist.

For general use though I like simple Hi and Lo. My Surefire L2 is one of the most practical lights I own.

And I like momentary on capability via forward clickie. (the one fault of the Fenix IMO).

KingGlamis

Banned
I think every light should have a single on/off switch, like a Mag switch, where you can slightly depress it for instant light with no click, or press it all the way for continuous on. Then one click and it is off. The different modes should be controlled by a totally separate switch/control, and I don't really care where it is located. That way if you use one mode most often, leave it on that mode and you only have to click once. To change to another mode, a quick adjustment of the mode switch and you still only have to click once to turn it on.

Kind of like a stereo. Put it on one station and when you turn it off and then turn it back on again it is on the same station. Would you like it if you had to scroll through 2-5 stations to get to your favorite one every time you turned your stereo on?

Vickers

Enlightened
Kind of like a stereo. Put it on one station and when you turn it off and then turn it back on again it is on the same station. Would you like it if you had to scroll through 2-5 stations to get to your favorite one every time you turned your stereo on?

*Ding!* *Ding!*

greenLED

Flashaholic
Press button= on
Press button again= off

Cycle as needed. Temporary on as in a forward clicky is a plus.

For multi-level lights, nothing beats the U2 in simplicity.

bspofford

Enlightened
Wondering what kinda UI sequence do you guys like?
I dont mean like the NovaTac P kind, but the more common 5 modes kind.

Heres mine:
Low>Medium>High>SOS>Beacon with memory feature.

I agree that SOS and Beacon are useful, and I can't imagine why so many 5-mode lights have Strobe. I hate Strobe. My preferred sequence would be Hi>Med>Lo>SOS>Beacon with memory, but I'd also buy Mev's UI if someone made it. I would like Hi first because I might need it for an emergency. I would also favor Hi=100%, Med=25%, Lo=5%.

bguy

Newly Enlightened
Press button= on
Press button again= off

Cycle as needed. Temporary on as in a forward clicky is a plus.

+1 clicky, not twisty.

And I don't have a U2, but I understand it uses a twisty for level, and clicky for on/off, which would be good.

GreySave

Enlightened
U2 or Kroma for their ability to be activated in any mode of the user's choice, followed closely by the A2. Flexibility counts with me.

Robban

Enlightened
I hate click-click-click-lights (except for the EDC which I love), I want a tactical switch to turn it off or on and a twist of the head selects brightness. Sorta like the U2 but without the ring.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Multi Level Lights: Clearly U2

2 Level Light: Nothing beats the SF L1. All of those clumsy click click click lights cant compete.