Stenlite... out of business?

coors

Enlightened
Hello, first post here. I'm trying to find a Stenlite to purchase, but am having zero luck doing so. The people that were selling on eBay are not listing these anymore and the Stenlite website no longer works. Did I miss out on getting one of these headlamps? Are they all gone now? Can someone point me to a source that still has one of these in stock, somewhere? Any help appreciated.

coors

Low_Rider

Newly Enlightened
The website seems to work fine for me? Check the out Distributors page.

If you are wondering why Jon (J.S. Burlys) isn't currently selling lights through his shop or eBay, check out this thread here.

As far as I know Stenlight are still going strong. ;)

coors

Enlightened
Thank you very much for the working link and other information. I'm very glad that the Stenlite is still available! I was keeping tabs on one of the caving forums, where they were passing one of Jon's modified Stenlites around... but it made no sense to me because I really thought that Stenlite was gone. I'm no caver, but I want one for my bicyling times that I'm out after dark. My Petzl Myo XP, on high, still leaves a lot of room for improvement. Any idea how I might afix one of the Stenlites to a headband.

coors

jhscaver

Newly Enlightened

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any idea how I might afix one of the Stenlites to a headband.
coors
Basically you just have to get creative:
5zcql3b.jpg

4mn6owh.jpg

4xzcvaw.jpg

coors

Enlightened
Of course you are exactly right, here... at some point I forgot how to spell Stenlight and that's why "stenlite" went out of business, for me:confused:. Thanks, both of you, for the additional links.
Being new to this site, I was not aware that different stock headlamps could be modified, with aftermarket parts, to improve performance. I found the Myo XP upgrade review and found that to be quite interesting. I also have a Princeton Tech EOS on its way to me and I saw the Seoul 5watt LED upgrade review for that as well. My real reason for wanting the Stenlight is for using on my winter bicycle touring/expeditions, as it uses the rechargable Lith-Ion battery packs that last a long time. I don't know much about lights, but I've always known that I couldn't use even the AA lithium batteries in my Myo XP... because it's not "regulated" (that's why I recently purchased the PT EOS). Can anyone tell me... if I upgrade my Myo XP to the 5watt Seoul LED, will it then be regulated for using lithiums and NiMHs?

coors

coors

Enlightened
Dave,
That's exactly what I want to do! It looks like you removed the lamp assembly from a Black Diamond headlamp and somehow mounted the Stenlight in its place. Is buying a used BD headlamp the best way to go to do this? I mean, you can't just buy a headband from BD and start there, can you?
Also, how well does that Stenight work mounted in the vertical orientation, on the handlebar? Is that better than the normal/horizontal orientation?

coors

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being that the Stenlight uses Lux 3 LED's. A modded Apex with a SSC P4 will put out almost as much light. The Apex can run off Lithiums.

I'm not sure I would recommend the Stenlight for for your use at this time. It's very expensive, not designed for bike use, and its using old technology LEDs. By the time winter comes around again I think that there will be much more viable options. I would not buy it over again if I had to do it now.

If you are dedicated to getting one PM me and maybe we can work something out on a used one. For a new one try to get the Stenlight from JSB. He is the only one selling it with reflectors installed. Most CPFers prefer reflectors.

coors

Enlightened
Thank you for sharing your own thoughts on this lamp, Dave. I'm kind of surprised, in a measure. Back during the last winter when I was reading glowing reviews and cavers glowing reports, I was under the impression that this was THE light to own. I did read about folks having troubles with the switch when it got dirty, while caving, and some folks were cracking the lens during reassembly from changing optics/collimators (or something like that). Would you mind expounding on what things about this lamp you do not like? (besides the outdated leds, which you already mentioned).
I was not even aware of the Apex. I just bought an EOS, but I'd have gotten an Apex instead if I'd have known it existed. I see that there are 2x Apex models, one that uses AA and one that uses CR123 batteries. Why would they make this same light with these two different battery options? Would you happen to know what kind of light the Apex can put out, both stock and modified, compared to my Myo XP? I find myself wanting at least twice the brightness that I'm getting from the XP.
Thank you for the offer. I'm the kind of guy though that likes brand new, never touched by others hands before me, stuff. And I like warranties, too... if troubles should spring up.

coors

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont get it. :thinking:
all other headlamps mentionned are dedicated to backpackers, so (rather) dim with longer runtime + MAIN POINT: small and no weight.
Stenlight is not meant for this application.

Do You wonder any cheap small car does not get as fast as a Porsche?

For biking, I would stay with a light for biking. Best of breed in the moment: Lupine Wilma new model
(but I say: build Yourself a light with 4-5 Seouls/Cree and a suitable Li-Ion pack. Way cheaper than anything else and could be modded for a beam that You like)

bendlite

Newly Enlightened
Would you happen to know what kind of light the Apex can put out, both stock and modified, compared to my Myo XP? I find myself wanting at least twice the brightness that I'm getting from the XP.
coors

Coors

You can get a great deal of valuable information and comparison data from www.flashlightreviews.com. Even tho the site is not adding new reviews, the existing ones are very balanced, careful and useful.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
On highest (non-burst) setting:
Myo XP about 30 Lumens
Apex 4AA or Pro about 50 Lumens
Stenlight about 120 lumens

Replacing the LED emitter with a Seoul P4 will about double the lumen's on any of these. However your eye sensitivity is logarithmic. So it won't appear double bright. The mod for the Myo is super easy, slightly more difficult for the Apex, and I dare not risk the S7.

You ought to stick around CPF for a while before you purchase anything. Hang on to your wallet though.:devil:

Some links:
P4'ed Myo XP - worlds easiest mod!
Apex as Bike light w/pics

coors

Enlightened
Yellow,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yes, I'm interested in lightweight headlamps only, for cycling at night. I've owned Niterider dedicated bicycle lights in the past, but for my intended purpose these are too heavy and inconvenient. I'm not even certain that I will be able to modify my PT EOS yet, let alone think about building a light from scratch. I'm a newbie to all of this, so maybe after (if ) I get my legs I might be able to step and think about something more advanced.

coors

coors

Enlightened
Dave,
Thank you for the very useful info on these lights output. I just ordered 2x Seoul SSC P4s, one to mod my new PT EOS and one for the Petzl XP. After seeing that the Apex is putting out nearly twice the Lumens of the XP, I'm kind of wanting to get one of those to modify also.
I am not in a rush to get the Stenlight, just yet, so maybe I will get an Apex to see what it can do.
Thanks for welcoming me to stay around. I think that I will as there seems to be a whole lot of knowledge being shared here. I appreciate the help that I've gotten already.

coors

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
good luck on the EOS, its so small ...
dont like the Apex (imho silly light levels), not the EOS (there should be exactly this model but with the Apex' battery compartment, aaa's are not good) and surely no Petzls, which I hate (comes from the incan times, but the led ones are same league)

In the moment, I'd say: look for the Streamlight Argo HP.
Emitter swap (lux star out / SSC star in) is a breeze,
and runs on a rechargeable Li-ion also.
Needs added optic/reflector, the original wide one gives You heavy rings (which I dont even notice in use, but they are there)

an 17650 fits in without modification and there is a tread of modding a HP to run on 18650 (much more power inside, at just slightly more size)
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/144418&highlight=streamlight+argo

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why I wouldn't recommend the $310+ Stenlight for bike use:
NiteRider MiNewt X2 2008 model. Available at REI for $189

LiIon, higer efficiency LED (over Lux3, not sure what they will be using though).
150 Lumens claimed.
Designed for biking. Dual model and tri newt also available.

I also noticed Performace.com has a NiteRider Enduro HID on sale for $300. Although LED's have some advantages they still can't compete in total output with HID.

Of course if you are a flashoholic it might make more sense to get some twofish blocks and use what you've got.

Last edited:

Latest posts