NovaTac 120P - Internal Parts - Graphics heavy.

Esthan

Enlightened
Time is no friend of mine, but here are few pics of the 120P internals.
1. EDC 120P
hds_1.jpg

2. Internal spring used to connect the "-" of the batt to the head.
hds_2.jpg

3. Contacts on the head
hds_3.jpg

4. Battery Tube
hds_4.jpg

5. This part around the spring is made from rubber - thanks to it the batt will not rattle inside the flashlight.
hds_5.jpg

hds_6.jpg

hds_7.jpg

strideredc

Enlightened
great pics, i take it you have just recived it?

looks very much as expected, will be interested in some beam shots...

Robban

Enlightened
have the start to ship them out now?.
can't waith to receive mine.

sorry for my english i'm from sweden:crackup:
Hej på dig du ;)

Are the contacts in the head plated at all or just plain aluminium? Seem to remember someone mentioning they were just plain in the Novatachs but that picture makes it look like they are slightly brass coloured?

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
are all these i have read about without clips,give aways.its funny i read the EDC AND P models come with a clip,it fits over the threads,and the switch is then screwed down.

aceo07

Enlightened
Thanks for the photos.

I think I like the old HDS design better. The new Novatac led module connections look cleaner, but not by much. I like the old tail portion better. I don't see why they used the rubber ring. HDS never rattled before. I wonder why they decided to go with the spring to make the negative connection. What are the chances that it will fall out during battery change? I also don't like the website url on the tailcap.

I'm one picky *******. However, for the price, it's hard to complain much.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Thanks for the photos.

I think I like the old HDS design better. The new Novatac led module connections look cleaner, but not by much. I like the old tail portion better. I don't see why they used the rubber ring. HDS never rattled before. I wonder why they decided to go with the spring to make the negative connection. What are the chances that it will fall out during battery change? I also don't like the website url on the tailcap.

I'm one picky *******. However, for the price, it's hard to complain much.
If you had an HDS, you would know that it used exactly the same system with a spring.

Esthan

Enlightened
This new spring is a marvel.

In a very highly unprobable case, that this one gets damaged or broken or whatever, one can stretch the rests in a manner that would allow a quick fix in the fields (IMO this spring allows at least 3 such fixes) and gain enough time to get a new spring from NovaTac.

A clever solution to a possible problem.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the newbie question, but what exactly IS that spring for, and what are these 'in-the field fixes' you are referring to?

BTW, thanks for excellent photos!

Esthan

Enlightened
1.As far as I recall - please correct me - this spring is used to transfer the signals from the switch to the head - in simple words for programming.

2. As for in field repairs - IMO (for I think such a weird spring must have a purpose)
The old spring was simple (constant wrap, not as this one tight-wide-tight-wide-tight), compared to the one on the photo. Now, imagine You are in the wood exchanging batteries (spring is a loose part and can be pulled out of the flashlight) You put the spring somewhere and by some accident it gets damaged, cut in half, broken, twisted or whatever. A normal spring (without such tight wrapping) would become useless. This one can be stretched to many times its length without a problem.

If two policeman have same flaslights and one looses this spring during a batt change. The other can cut his one in half and give to the first one as a quick fix. Then both have a functioning flashligth and enough time to order new ones.

View it as a build in, very low cost spare part.

Last edited:

aceo07

Enlightened
If you had an HDS, you would know that it used exactly the same system with a spring.

I think I should have rephrased. I was referring to the long spring in the new Novatac that connects the negative from the tailcap to the head, not the short spring that touches the negative part of the battery.

The HDS uses 2 n shape loop wires to connect from the tailcap to the head. I think the picture on this webpage shows the connection well. http://members.aol.com/qn9513/myhomepage/flashlightu85.html It's too early in the morning for me to pull out camera, take my own pictures and upload them. Also I'm doing runtime test on level 10 now. :)

I hope this clears it up. I bought and received my HDS EDC U60 in August of 2005 and wrote a review of it here. Except for the button sticking out more and the clip coloring rubbing off on the edges, it's surprisingly the same condition as when I got it. :)

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
1.As far as I recall - please correct me - this spring is used to transfer the signals from the switch to the head - in simple words for programming.

2. As for in field repairs - IMO (for I think such a weird spring must have a purpose)
The old spring was simple (constant wrap, not as this one tight-wide-tight-wide-tight), compared to the one on the photo. Now, imagine You are in the wood exchanging batteries (spring is a loose part and can be pulled out of the flashlight) You put the spring somewhere and by some accident it gets damaged, cut in half, broken, twisted or whatever. A normal spring (without such tight wrapping) would become useless. This one can be stretched to many times its length without a problem.

If two policeman have same flaslights and one looses this spring during a batt change. The other can cut his one in half and give to the first one as a quick fix. Then both have a functioning flashligth and enough time to order new ones.

View it as a build in, very low cost spare part.
cut my spring in half,no, he seaches in the dark.for not ordering a spare spring.

DM51

Flashaholic
I think I should have rephrased. I was referring to the long spring in the new Novatac that connects the negative from the tailcap to the head, not the short spring that touches the negative part of the battery.

The HDS uses 2 n shape loop wires to connect from the tailcap to the head. I think the picture on this webpage shows the connection well. http://members.aol.com/qn9513/myhomepage/flashlightu85.html It's too early in the morning for me to pull out camera, take my own pictures and upload them. Also I'm doing runtime test on level 10 now. :)

I hope this clears it up. I bought and received my HDS EDC U60 in August of 2005 and wrote a review of it here. Except for the button sticking out more and the clip coloring rubbing off on the edges, it's surprisingly the same condition as when I got it. :)
My B42 has a + to - spring, as do my U60GT/18650 tube, and 2x123 tube. But I see what you mean in that pic of the U85 - I haven't come across a loop wire thing like that before in an HDS. AFAIK the springs are more common.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I miss one thing in this design, something that is quite important for me (especially in outdoors) - a lanyard ring...

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is not a production model :D
Yes, but they are not going to make a lanyard ring even in the production model. I am curious about the clip, if it holds the light safely then I might start thinking about this light (or I better wait for Henry's version? :confused:).

aceo07

Enlightened
My B42 has a + to - spring, as do my U60GT/18650 tube, and 2x123 tube. But I see what you mean in that pic of the U85 - I haven't come across a loop wire thing like that before in an HDS. AFAIK the springs are more common.

hmmm.. I guess we're both right. :)

When did you get your lights? I guess this changed after they changed the tailcap design to keep the button from protruding.