new fenix or inova, help choose **went with inova t2 review inside

houtex

Enlightened
I lost my L1dce this weekend and need a replacement by thursday.If oyu had to choose between a fenix p3d or inova t3 which one and why.I loved the brightness of the l1 but it was small and kinda slippery which is why i lost it.Aren't the new t3 rated at 100 lumens?I have an inova xo also but would like something brighter.suggestions?

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: new fenix or inova, help choose

If the Inova's offered something over a P3D I would have one. I'd go with the P3D. :)

Oops, missed the part about it being slippery. Maybe you could wrap some friction tape or something around the P3D. :)

Last edited:

ginaz

Enlightened

it's brightness vs build here. if slippery grip was bad before maybe the texture of the t3 will serve you better? t3 uses 3 cells, not 2. i have the new t1 and have been very pleased with it.

Barbarian

Enlightened

it's brightness vs build here. if slippery grip was bad before maybe the texture of the t3 will serve you better? t3 uses 3 cells, not 2. i have the new t1 and have been very pleased with it.
+1

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd take quality over lumen quantity everytime...I've owned Inovas...built like tanks. Go with the Inova T1.

CFU

gunga

Flashaholic

I personally really like the P3D. I put a piece of slim inner tube (road bike tire) on the hex body section of the P3D. No longer slippery!

I actually have this on all my AA lights too!

z96Cobra

Enlightened

I'm not knocking the P3D, but overall the T3 is better, unless brightness/throw or bells and whistles are what you are looking for. I used to carry a T3 (old version) until I got my U2 and L4 for Christmas. I carry the L4 on my belt and the U2 in my right front pocket. I also carry a P2D in my left front pocket, and have everyday since I bought it, mainly because of its size:brightness ratio. If I'm dressed where I can't carry the U2/L4, the P2D is still with me! All of my Inova lights have been put in places easy to get to (backpack for the T4, T3 and T2 in vehicles) but I don't EDC them on my person. Price is basically = IIRC.

Inova T Series:

Quality
Tough - Built Like a Tank
3 Batteries (for the T3)
Bright, but not the brightest
Made in USA! (important to me, but is not required for me to like/use it)
"Real" Clicky
Simple - on or off

Fenix P3D:

Quality is good, but not the best.
Not as Tough as Inova
2 Batteries
One of the brightest LEDs out there
Made in China
Reverse Clicky
Lots of Bells and Whistles... 6 Modes

On edit: Forgot to mention that the next light I'm ordering is going to be the P3D, since I like my P2D so much!

Just my $.02,
Roger

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I were choosing between the P3D and the T3 I would probably go with the P3D.The T3 is fairly large in comparison to the P3D and I don't care for the fact that it uses 3 batteries.That being said I have a new(2007) INOVA T1 that I love.The T1 isn't going to be as bright as a P3D and is still a little bigger but I really like the T1.My T1 compares favorably to my P2D and the beam quality is a little better.The INOVA T series and the Fenix P series are really two different animals.The T series lights are geared towards law enforcement with a single brightness mode and forward clickie that can be used as a momentary switch.The T series also use the K2 wich is less efficient than the CREE.The P series lights use the latest LED technology with better efficiency.The P series also have multiple modes that extend the battery life.There is no momentary on the P series as it uses a reverse clicky and it doesn't have the same build quality you will find with the T series.Sorry I didn't have more info. on the 2 lights you asked about but I chose the P2D and T1 over the P3D and T3. ;) Hope this information helps. :grin2:

zk188

Newly Enlightened

I would take the p3d fenix build quality is just fine it also has a long running low mode for when not much light is needed a reverse clicky should give you no problems unless you require momentary.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would select the P3 because of the more efficient emitter, size and multiple output levels.

It really is too bad because I would consider Inova to be a contender for the title of finest production flashlight if they would just use the more efficient LED's and and adopt a 2 stage design like the L1.

Long running, dual level, single battery, small lights are king in my book and right now, Inova doesn't have an offering to make me want to purchase.

-Goatee

houtex

Enlightened

okay first off thanks for the replys.
if i go with the fenix Lighthound is just down the road,i'll go there but for the inova(now considering the t1 or t2) where to go or order from?

ddgarcia05

Newly Enlightened

I would go with the P3D. If your lucky you might still be able to get the P3D thats on sale in the market place for....$45. It's been on for a couple days, you might want to try to offer $40. They only used it for about a minutes to write a review. Good Luck.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=167472

copy paste it if you can't click

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

+2 for Batteryjunction definately the best place I have seen to get INOVAs. Most of my INOVA lights were purchased there and he(Matt K) always seems to have the best prices. :twothumbs

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice. All those "built like a tank" messages from ppl who dont even have any clue about it :rolleyes:

I have just modded an old and new T1, and the thickness of material at large parts of the body is in no way other than Fenix.
+ dont ask me about how the switch works (+ have probs with the high resistance, lights are more dim than the modded SF 6P, only because of this)

Sure it feels better with its larger diameter body and not slippery with the good knurling
but in no way more rugged than Fenix!
Fenix is brighter and multilevel, the Inova is much behind!

lets say it that way: as with most other very high quality and dim lights (= smaller SFs and such), these make good hosts
(but the T3 is too long for a modded 18650 light and two 18500 wont fit)

houtex

Enlightened

so then what Yellow.It's gotta be fist sized,able to acess and return to holster quickly,durable,bright and not too expensive.If no one remembers I work at a nightclub.It's dark and it can get tough.AA's would be best for me but I'm open to others.The reason I thought of the inova is that my bedside is an XO.I love the size but it lacks the brightness needed.Also more times than i can remember I often return the L1dce to its holster or my pocket still on,so a real clicky is a plus.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an X1 gen2 and used to own a P3D. I use all my lights. Without doubt the P3D has a stonking performance and it has many useful modes trown in into a small form factor, however in the long run, quality of finish is always in my books. The inovas are constructed with quality much much better than fenixs. They have better thread, better anodising and thus would last you for donkey's years.
Having to choose and have used a P3D, IMO go for the inova...