Strange Weather

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
It's currently 21 degrees and falling, lightning, thunder and SLEET! No rain, all sleet. Warning of possible HAIL (!?) to go with the thunder and lightning. Two to three inches likely by tomorrow morning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cars are spinning their wheels trying to get up the hill in fromt of my house. At least the sleet covering the ice is giving a little bit of traction.

Staying home tomorrow... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I used to live by a bad hill...quite often during the winter one would hear the whining of tires spinning...too often, at all hours of the night, folks would come to my door and hope that I would help them. Quite often I did, sometimes I didn't, but would let them make a phone call (with some "personal protection" very handy on my person, I may add..not that I didn't trust people, but in today's world...)

I have to admit I'm glad I moved away from that spot..."Location, Location, Location..."

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
Our weather in south-central Alaska is now the second warmest on record, couple of years ago it was -45 this time of the year, now its getting up to the lower 40's above.

Its really put the brakes on a LOT of winter events, right Sigman?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
Our weather in south-central Alaska is now the second warmest on record, couple of years ago it was -45 this time of the year, now its getting up to the lower 40's above.

Its really put the brakes on a LOT of winter events, right Sigman?

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
Oh yeah, and has hurt the local economy somewhat also! We've lost many ski events, including some national competitions. World championship sled dog races cancelled, Iditarod race in an "ever changing" status due to the lack of snow and unsafe ice conditions on the trails that cross lakes...my big snowblower "feeling all lonely" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (that doesn't bother me though), but it's definitely affected lifestyles here! And to hear about the weather they are once again having back east in the States....woo-hoo....this is the tropics!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
Daniel Ramsey said:
No kidding, imagine the restart in Fairbanks!

Got any ideas about when the Nenana will move? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
You know I've never bought tickets to that in the past, since we are having this strange winter weather...I think I'll get a couple. Have no idea what a good time is. I guess I could try and see what the temps have been up there vs the temps/times that the ice went out...shoot a dart at the board and pick a number! Watch me win! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Daniel Ramsey said:
Got any ideas about when the Nenana will move? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing March 10 at 4:45pm AST (not long before sunset), but I probably won't get a ticket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif
Then again, since I no longer live up there, I don't get PFD checks anymore either! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Latest posts