What is the REBEL I've been reading about on here?

Nathan

Enlightened
They're made my Phillips/Lumileds. Luxeon is the brand.
Last year Cree came out with the XR-E. Soon after, Seoul Semiconductor (SSC) released the P4.
Lumileds is answering back with the Luxeon Rebel.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
But the Rebel uses a new die technology that doesn't need bond wires, which enables the Rebel to have a much smaller package than its competitors, both of which use Cree's EZ1000 die.

darkninja67

Newly Enlightened
But the Rebel uses a new die technology that doesn't need bond wires, which enables the Rebel to have a much smaller package than its competitors, both of which use Cree's EZ1000 die.
So would that create less heat and thus better efficiency?

Flashlight Enthusiast
The key of the Rebel is the entire package is very close to 1/4 the size of a cree package, it's so far the smallest high powered LED around, but it's not as efficient as the cree.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Hmm... if it's smaller, wouldn't the efficiency equal a Cree if you made it the same size as a Cree? Which one will ultimately produce the best lumen/battery life ratio do you think?

Thanks guys, REALLY informative... I finally know what the REBEL is,
Ryan

Nathan

Enlightened
Fenix P3D Rebel 80 and Rebel 100 (special editions) and Ultrafire UF-R1 and B3 are the few I know of.

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
the Rebel led in its cool white flavor can give a maximum of 180 lumen when driven at 0.7 A, this is lot of lumen but also lot of current.

crislight01

Newly Enlightened
the P4 can give more lumens than the rebel and already includes some kind of thermal dissipator. The P4 gives 240 lumens at 1A

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I imagine since they are reflow soldered that would be an advantage for high volume manufacturing. Anybody know how the pricing compares if you were a manufacturer?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Rebel led in its cool white flavor can give a maximum of 180 lumen when driven at 0.7 A, this is lot of lumen but also lot of current.

What a misleading post. The 180lm is typical, not maximum, and is comparable to both other current high-flux LEDs.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
the P4 can give more lumens than the rebel and already includes some kind of thermal dissipator. The P4 gives 240 lumens at 1A

McGizmo did a little test and the SSC P4 and the Rebel 100 put out the same amount of light, 198lm at 1A.