ML1 Seoul and Cree L1 pics and Beamshots

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
First two pics show the first-gen-host milkyspit L1, or ML1, side-by-side with the new SureFire Cree L1. One pic shows them 'normal' and the other with the heads and bodies swapped. I also have crude beamshots of each light's high and low.

Normal

Swapped

ML1 low

ML1 high

Cree L1 low

Cree L1 high

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice shots, thanks. I don't have any beamshots, but my hands-on comparison is that the ML-1 still rules. The low is lower and the high is probably equivalent, though as the high beam pics show the new Cree (like the gen 2 L1 with the TIR optic) has a much tighter hotspot, so it looks brighter than the ML-1.

Which Seoul emitter do you have in your ML-1?

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pics.

Will the ML-1 head fire up when you put it on the L1-Cree body? Could you add the high and low shot of that to the first post just as a comparision. I would like to see if the output is any different with the new electronics vs. the ML-1.

Thanks.

Curtis

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I think that maybe the winner for me there. An ML1 "shorty". Just need to reach out to Milky to see if I can make that happen.

The ML1 "shorty" is as I suspected, brighter on both lo and hi on the L1-Cree circuit. I am not sure if he has anymore of that gen 1 L1 heads to make the setup I would like.

Thanks for going the extra mile with the photos.

Curtis

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
No prob. It will be a pretty pricey setup by the time you're done. You'll be in the $160-$200 range on the ML1 depending on options and $135ish for the Cree L1. It'll be a nice light, though, especially if it's exactly what you're looking for.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point on the price. It is really had to tell from the pics which one I would like better when in real use. I really hoped to have the L1 just a smidge shorter.... ALA ML-1 Shorty size. That appears to be perfect for my hands.

I already have the L1-Cree so the rest will be the $200 range which is awefully step for a slight reduction in size.

Is the ML1 beam more "usable" than the L1-Cree in your opinion?

Curtis

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the ML1 beam more "usable" than the L1-Cree in your opinion?

It really depends on what your intended use is. I love my ML1 indoors... it's my nightstand light. A perfect 'low' and a room-filling high. However, I can't use it to spot rabbits when I'm walking my greyhound, it just doesn't have that type of throw. I was using an A2 to walk the dog, but the L1 Cree seems to throw just as well. So if you're going into dark storerooms or basements then the ML1 is perfect. If you're going to be camping or fishing, etc., times when you need a bit of darkness-piercing throw, then the L1 cree might be better. An F04 beamshaper could also be used for those times when you need a floodier beam.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same ML-1 version that VH has and can confirm all his comments on the difference between the ML-1 and the Cree. I will add that although I like the slightly shorter physical length of the new L1, it is, as you said, really only a "smidge" shorter. Sometimes that makes all the difference - I haven't noticed it yet, but YMMV.