Problem with Dexlight X1 exiting Advanced Mode

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Hey guys, I seem to be having a problem exiting the Advanced mode on the Dexlight X1. I can enter the mode just fine from the General Mode but when I switch it off in Advanced Mode, it just comes back on in Advanced when I turn it on. I think it just keeps on doing that unless I switch it off in SOS or something and then maybe it'll go back to General Mode. I have to try multiple times to switch out of Advanced Mode. And is there a simple way to switch the switch covers? It seems pretty hard to turn the little retaining ring in the switch and the holes are tiny. I tried with thread needles and it doesn't budge.

And on a side question, Do you guys replace the battery through the switch end or the head end?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I know of the Dexlight/Jetbeam, that IS the way to exit of advanced mode. Switching it off from one of the SOS/Strobe modes after all the levels. That's why I haven't bought one till today :D

johnny13oi

Enlightened
From what I know of the Dexlight/Jetbeam, that IS the way to exit of advanced mode. Switching it off from one of the SOS/Strobe modes after all the levels. That's why I haven't bought one till today :D

Oh I had no idea, the booklet just says to switch it off for 2 seconds and it'll get out of Advanced mode and it actually says that it won't switch out of Advanced mode on strobe. I just tried it out and gets out of advanced every time in strobe. Much thanks.

FatManTechno

Newly Enlightened
Consider yourself lucky. Today I turned on my Dexlight X.1 to find out I only have 1 mode. I have been clicking away all day and I still only have that one same mode which happends to be High mode. I run a 14500 so I can't leave the light on for very long either so its gone from good to horribly bad for a edc.

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Consider yourself lucky. Today I turned on my Dexlight X.1 to find out I only have 1 mode. I have been clicking away all day and I still only have that one same mode which happends to be High mode. I run a 14500 so I can't leave the light on for very long either so its gone from good to horribly bad for a edc.

Have you tried to see if the modes come back using a normal AA? I am planning on using 14500's in this light but am afraid to damage such an expensive light.

FatManTechno

Newly Enlightened
I have tried using a regular AA and the light still doesn't change modes. Of course I'm sure I can use the light for longer periods of time with the AA because its not as bright and doesn't get as hot as when using the 14500.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I had no idea, the booklet just says to switch it off for 2 seconds and it'll get out of Advanced mode and it actually says that it won't switch out of Advanced mode on strobe. I just tried it out and gets out of advanced every time in strobe. Much thanks.

Its so confusing they've confused themselves :D
Maybe they meant it won't exit on the 15hz strobe (the 2nd option after high in advanced mode).

But from reading about this interface, I remember it exits Advanced mode on the strobe modes after all the light levels. That's a lot of clicking to get out of Advanced mode should you accidentally activate it (which is very easy, by switching the light off in low (basic mode) for more than 2 secs).

Give me the old MKII interface but with a Cree/Seoul/Rebel anytime, with a low mode first. Can you believe that a simple

- HAIII Nat
- Clickie
- low/med/high/strobe/sos (always resets are switched off)
- AA/14500
- Cree/Seoul/Rebel

doesn't exist?? The L1D CE is nice and I like the bezel turning feature, but am waiting for it to come out in something other than their ugly semi-glossy HAIII black.

Rexlight, dexlight, MKIIx, L1DCE, Transformer etc.. all dun fit my bill :(

johnny13oi

Enlightened
Its so confusing they've confused themselves :D
Maybe they meant it won't exit on the 15hz strobe (the 2nd option after high in advanced mode).

But from reading about this interface, I remember it exits Advanced mode on the strobe modes after all the light levels. That's a lot of clicking to get out of Advanced mode should you accidentally activate it (which is very easy, by switching the light off in low (basic mode) for more than 2 secs).

Give me the old MKII interface but with a Cree/Seoul/Rebel anytime, with a low mode first. Can you believe that a simple

- HAIII Nat
- Clickie
- low/med/high/strobe/sos (always resets are switched off)
- AA/14500
- Cree/Seoul/Rebel

doesn't exist?? The L1D CE is nice and I like the bezel turning feature, but am waiting for it to come out in something other than their ugly semi-glossy HAIII black.

Rexlight, dexlight, MKIIx, L1DCE, Transformer etc.. all dun fit my bill :(

Actually, mine can exit on the 15Hz strobe which is the second setting in the Advanced Mode. Don't know if they all do this, but mine definitely does.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh, at least there's a nearer exit point. Although its still kinda unwieldy to be clicking all over the place just to change from basic to advanced and back.

kanarie

Enlightened
:( Actually, mine can exit on the 15Hz strobe which is the second setting in the Advanced Mode. Don't know if they all do this, but mine definitely does.
mine does also (as described in the manual..)

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking about getting a Dexlight recently. Helf off since its introduction due to the complicated UI, but I think I can simplify it by keeping it in advanced mode. For those who own one, would this work for a simplied UI where I only want high and low:

Keep in Advanced Mode
Click to turn on - Comes in 100% High
Turn off or Soft click twice to the lowest low
Turn off

Would turning it off in the High and Lowest Low level in Advanced Mode keep it in Advanced Mode? If so, I think the complicated UI may be easier for me to manage than I initially thought.

I've been trying to decide between the Dexlight and Rexlight. I like the look of the Dexlight better, but the Rexlight has a simpler UI. But the Rexlight seems to still have problems with consistency and quality while I haven't really seen any reports with Dexlight issues aside from the complicated UI.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking about getting a Dexlight recently. Helf off since its introduction due to the complicated UI, but I think I can simplify it by keeping it in advanced mode. For those who own one, would this work for a simplied UI where I only want high and low:

Keep in Advanced Mode
Turn off

Would turning it off in the High and Lowest Low level in Advanced Mode keep it in Advanced Mode? If so, I think the complicated UI may be easier for me to manage than I initially thought.

I've been trying to decide between the Dexlight and Rexlight. I like the look of the Dexlight better, but the Rexlight has a simpler UI. But the Rexlight seems to still have problems with consistency and quality while I haven't really seen any reports with Dexlight issues aside from the complicated UI.

To keep it simple, what I do, is just keep it in the general mode. Low in that mode is the same as the lowest in the advanced, and high is just 10 lux lower than 100% in advanced. Just have to watch you don't turn it off in low.

Actually after you've had it a while you get used to it and all the modes can be used without thinking.

And yes turning it off in high and low in advanced will keep it in advanced.

luigi

Enlightened
If it helps as a reference mine works with 14500 and the advanced mode can be exited in the first strobe available. So it is just light-click, off to exit advanced mode.

As far as I know this is what the small instructions sheet that came with the light said.

Luigi

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately for me, I usually use medium for the longer haul. If you can live with "2-stage", your plan sounds viable.

Rexlight is a no-no for me. Sold it the 2nd day I received it. Not only is it less bright than the other Cree/SSC lights on 14500, the 5-sec memory is just plain dumb (IMHO).

If you use your light just for a couple of secs, just to find something, the light is going to turn on in the next mode the next time you turn it on. You have to be sure everytime u turn on your light, it is going to be used for at least 5-secs to retain that mode.

And to change mode after that, you'll need to double tap as the first tap is "to protect against accidental activation", which is quite ridiculous since the tailcap switch is quite stiff and shrouded within the body.

The HA is not as nice as the Jetbeam either.

Actually if the Fenix L1DCE came with a nicer finish (and proper levels with a 14500), it would win hands down. For 2-stage use, just use the low on general mode and turn the head to get turbo on turbo mode.

Or use it as your regular low/med/high without clumsy memory functions. You can get low or turbo on first click before the light comes on, depending on the head position. Doesn't get better than that. :)

Keep in Advanced Mode
Turn off

Last edited:

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
you have to through all the modes until you reach the standby mode than you switch it off after about 5 seconds when you switch it ON it will go to general mode.
My MKIIx works that way.

johnny13oi

Enlightened
you have to through all the modes until you reach the standby mode than you switch it off after about 5 seconds when you switch it ON it will go to general mode.
My MKIIx works that way.

Thanks but I figured out that I can exit on the second setting which is the 15Hz Strobe.

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
The bit about exiting from Advanced Mode actually means the opposite of what it appears to say. Their English version manual writer was obviously having a bad day.

big_erb

Newly Enlightened
I just got my dex back from deal, I had to send mine back since it was dim no matter what battery i would use.. I put a recharge 14500 in it and, I will have to say that i could imagine using it with a normal AA.. I have found that to exit mine it takes a 3 second wait, and like everyone has been posting, strobe IS the easiest... I do like this light now.. and, the first stage, which is supposed to be "normal", is damn near as bright as the third stage "high"..

Latest posts