OMG. I never realized it was that high. (Evacuation risks)

Pistolero

Enlightened
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/topfront/3374468.html

I was reading up on hurricane preparation and evacuation and someone on another forum posted this link.

A Chronicle survey of Houston-area counties and those along major evacuation routes to the north and west indicates that at least 107 people were killed by last week's hurricane or died in accidents or from health problems associated with the evacuation of 2.5 million people from their homes.

If I evacuate, I'm going to leave AT LEAST 48hrs in advance. I've heard stories about how scary the evacuation was. It's weird hearing that people in the greater Houston area had LESS problems than those trying to evacuate.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that if you're going to evacuate, you're better off leaving of your own accord a few days early rather than wait for the droves of sheeple to watch the news.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you think about the magnitude of such a mass movement of people, 107 is an amazingly low casualty rate.

Corpus Christi evacuated for the same storm. Fortunately, we were spared any significant damage. I was totally amazed, afterward, by the number of people who were griping about "taking 6 hours to get to San Antonio since it usually takes us 2 hours".

But your plans are good. Go early and beat the crowds. Make motel reservation as early as possible -- you can always cancel. San Antonio motels were booked full 4 days before predicted landfall.

Pistolero

Enlightened
I've got family in SA, so I'm Good2Go.
Generally, I like to shelter-in-place, because even though it's an apartment... it's still "home", ya know? Not to mention the worry of dealing with the nuts on the road.

However, now that I have a small fry, I think it would be better to evac and pay a visit to the parents.

ledlurker

Enlightened
If you plan to evacuate you better make reservations before a storm even enters the gulf. Rita was estimated to be 4 to 5 days away from land fall when I tried to get a room. The only rooms I could find where in Odessa or accross the state border in New Mexico or Oklahoma. I ended up staying with friends in Austin. The problem was further compounded by evacs from Katrina. So your best bet is to have several options with family or friends. We made a mini-vacation of it.

tarponbill

Newly Enlightened
You make plans way in advance, put the plans into action when the need arises. Everyone is responsilbe for themselves. In Florida they are running adds that say just that ... you can't count on any help for at least 72 hours after a hurricane. Wilma hit us head-on, 130 MPH at the front door, it wa almost 72 hours before the guard arrived. By then we had finished most of the cleanup and road clearing ... all we needed was power.

Flashlights and AM radio were the key tools, other than the usual hammer and nails, saws and things like that. Our place had considerable damage that needed quick fixing. Roads were mostly impassable for 24 hours.

I have iived around hurricanes most of my life, the other times we were in CA waiting for a repeat of the 1989 Loma Prieta quake, which skeeeered us but didn't damage us, fortunately.

In both cases, 4D Maglites were the tool of choice, they worked admirably. Now they are plenty of upgrades to be had ... :twothumbs

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Everyone is responsible for themselves." Can we get an Amen?

Every critical tv or print spot, the interviewee was concerned that they had to wait for someone to come help/feed/cleanup/provide fuel.

Once had an flight attendant tell me that when people boarded planes or elevators, their IQ dropped 20 points. Maybe it's like 50 when they are threatened with something out of the ordinary.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well for now I won't evacuate for anything - I just go underground. Even some heavy monsoon type rains didn't cause any problem for this shelter. No Tornado, hurricane, wildfires, pillaging wildmen, nuke or just about anything else is a problem at this time if I go under. Just see the link in my sig line to see what I mean. :tinfoil: :laughing:

Pistolero

Enlightened
Once had an flight attendant tell me that when people boarded planes or elevators, their IQ dropped 20 points. Maybe it's like 50 when they are threatened with something out of the ordinary.

You are exactly right. In a tragedy/disaster/WTFevent, the brain drops into a very simplistic mode looking for a model that fits the event. Finding none, the response is just to freezeup.

A FANTASTIC ARTICLE THAT EVERYONE SHOULD READ.
Monday, Apr. 25, 2005
How to Get Out Alive From hurricanes to 9/11: What the science of evacuation reveals about how humans behave in the worst of times By AMANDA RIPLEY
http://deconsumption.typepad.com/deconsumption/2005/05/how_to_get_out_.html