Help w/ stuck 8aa-D modamag adapter

Deadshot11

Newly Enlightened
So I have one of modamag's 8aa-D adapters stuck inside of a 2D Mag loaded with batteries. It's unbored. It was moving in and out okay before, but this time we couldn't get it out. Any ideas on how to get it out? The only thing I can think of is to remove the switch assembly, but I don't have a hex wrench for that. Is that the only option, to borrow a hex wrench?

Robban

Enlightened
If you're lucky enough to find a flathead screwdriver that fits perfectly you can use that as well to unscrew it. Other than that I'd just remove anything that might break, like the bulb and start whacking the hell out of it :p

JamisonM

Enlightened
If you're lucky enough to find a flathead screwdriver that fits perfectly you can use that as well to unscrew it. Other than that I'd just remove anything that might break, like the bulb and start whacking the hell out of it :p
Slow down, slow down. I'd do that after thoroughly loosening the hex screw holding the switch assembly in. Go to your local walmart and get a set of allen wrenches. If you must, got to your local hardware store, but I'm willing to bet good money that things will be much more expensive. Take a wooden dowl and use it and a hammer to hit the switch assembly down and out of the battery tube. Make sure your light source out and the dowl goes all down to the switch housing by compressing the spring.

EDIT:
You can most likely find a piece of dowl to suite your need in the craft section of walmart too.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should get that switch out first. Then you may be able to punch it out with something like the handle of a hammer, pvc pipe...

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best way to do it with minimal damage is to use a 5/64" (AKA 2mm) allen wrench to loosen the setscrew in the switch so you can push it, and the stuck batteries, out the bottom of the light. If you use a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe to push on the top of the switch it will fit around the bulb post so it isn't damaged and it is small enough to fit past the snap ring on the inside of the barrel. Depending on how much force you have to apply to get everything out, the worst damage that might happen would be to break the little plastic braces at the bottom of the bulb post, but that won't affect later operation at all. Also, when you are pushing the switch out, make sure the button doesn't catch on the edge of the switch hole.

If you have trouble finding the stuff locally and can stand to wait a few days, PM me your address and I can send you a 5/64" wrench and a short piece of 3/4" PVC.

Robban

Enlightened
Slow down, slow down. I'd do that after thoroughly loosening the hex screw holding the switch assembly in. Go to your local walmart and get a set of allen wrenches. If you must, got to your local hardware store, but I'm willing to bet good money that things will be much more expensive. Take a wooden dowl and use it and a hammer to hit the switch assembly down and out of the battery tube. Make sure your light source out and the dowl goes all down to the switch housing by compressing the spring.

EDIT:
You can most likely find a piece of dowl to suite your need in the craft section of walmart too.
Hehe I didn't mean that he should whack the switch assembly, although it sounded like it now that I re-read my post. What I meant was that if he was impatient and couldn't get the switch assembly out that he could try whacking the battery tube against something hard to make the battery holder pop out :)

Gryloc

Enlightened
I guess it is a good thing that your battery tube was not bored out and it got stuck. Then you would have rougher surface with more friction, and also a lack of annodization! Then you could easily short out a few cells on your battery pack against the bare aluminum of the flashlight battery tube. That is the only reason that I hesitate to get my 2D bored out. I do not want sizzling batteries. :eek: Well, I guess if is done right by the right people, all should be well.

I have a feeling that a single battery was inserted crooked to wedge itself in, or something swelled or maybe shifted. Good luck! I guess be patient is all I can say.

-Tony

Deadshot11

Newly Enlightened

lol

Thanks everyone. Picked up a multi-size allen wrench tool, and used two hammers to get the battery holder out. I don't think it's what made it get stuck, but two batteries had leaked. It looks like the stuckness was just one of the batteries getting wedged against the body of the flashlight. All's well now, and the 8aa-d holder has been replaced by two 3aa-d holders and the kpr118 has been changed to a terralux tle-6ex. Happy birthday brother.

Anyone want a modamag 8aa-2d adapter with a discoloration in the small spot where the leak was? Will prolly put it up in marketplace.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be interested in it, depending on price. PM me with details or a pix of the damage if you've got one.

Gryloc

Enlightened
I, too am a bit interested, depending on condition and price. Even though I have the new black 2D body, I found that my Eneloops will fit pretty well. I forgot to check whether my Eneloops will fit when I got them last month, thinking that they were like the fat Energizer 2500s. I cannot believe that I have been making due with just 6AAs with my Quad Seoul Mag! I will just have to show some care when inserting them if I get a 8AA holder. Well, thanks.

-Tony

P.S. - That link from Fark Forums is hilarious, even though it was from last year. I was skeptical at first, until some proof was shown (unfotunately). I actually sat and read almost all the posts for an hour, until I realized that I only made it through 1/3 of the whole thread!

Lets hope that for us, someone does not get a flashlight stuck somewhere, and if so, hopefully it is just a small EDC light. However, if this does occur, make sure they start a thread about it so we "help" them through it... :hahaha: