Huntlight FT-01 SE vs Fenix P1 CE....better throw

alexnego

Newly Enlightened
Hello, Guys!
I am a night hiker so I'm using a Petzl Tikka Plus for flood and a Civictor V1 for throw. Now I'm thinking upgrading the flashlight with a new one much powerful and better throw. Between following options which one is better for rough outdoor use: Fenix P1 CE or Huntlight FT-01 Luxeon III U bin ?
Both have same price on Lighthound webshop and almost same brightness (90 lumens for Fenix and over 80 for Huntlight) Runtime das'nt matter to much, only throw. No other options to consider.
Thanks much !
Sorry for my poor English.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
I can't compare them directly.

I can tell you that my Huntlight FT-01 p4 cree has the most beautiful beam/with smooth spill of all my lights, and throws as far as my Q5 P3D.
My P1Dce Q2 from fenix-store has beam and throw similar to the Huntlight.

The P1 is solid, the Huntlight bombproof. The P1 is small and light, while the Huntlight is considerably bigger and heavier.

If you are limited to these two lights, make your decision based upon size and weight preference. But if you can splurge another $12 I would recommend the fenix-store special edition Q2 version of the P1. With op reflector you could get slightly better throw in a small solid package.

Personally, I prefer night hiking with a handheld as opposed to a headlamp, and I like a lower level of light for following trails and most cross country....Eyes stay more adapted and runtime increases. The P1Dce is my preference for small and light weight, but with big throw for route finding and extended runtime (lower modes). The P2D has lower "low", slightly less throw, but even longer potential runtimes.

My 2 cents, mortgage the wife and dog and get the P1Dce Q2 or P2Dce Q2 from fenix-store. Great hiking lights.

wild68fury

Newly Enlightened
I like the Fenix over the Huntlight for your application. I use a Fenix P1D CE (similar to the P1 CE) every day and I love it. It took a little while to get used to how small it is. I also bought a Huntlight FT01SXE (similar to a FT-01) for a co-worker and he likes it. It is quite a bit heavier but you could use the bezzle as a weapon.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumen "ratings" measure nothing but the imagination and wishful thinking of creative marketing departments. The FT-01 puts out less than half the total light (lumens) as a P1D CE.

The P1D CE also has more throw. Lux measurements show:

P1D CE (high) 2486 lux at 1 meter
FT-01 1570 lux at 1 meter

The P1D CE will light things as brightly at 126 feet as the FT-01 does at 100.

But it's a really easy job to replace the emitter in the FT-01 with a Seoul P4. If you do that, you get just very nearly the same throw and same lumen output from the two lights.

The FT-01 is built like a tank. The P1D CE isn't, but it isn't what I would call fragile, either. The FT-01 is much larger and heavier. You'll get more run time from the FT-01, especially with an 18650.

c_c

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between the two, I prefer the Huntlight. Yes, it's a bit heavier, but it's not a heavy light. Huntlight also has a XR-E version of the FT-01 that's considerably brighter with great throw.