Surefire L1 - Lumapower M1 - Huntlight FT01XSE

Taepo

Newly Enlightened
Noob needs some advice...

First, I wanted to thank everyone on this forum for their recommendations and info. I use smaller lights in back-up/emergency situations. I keep the Jetbeam C-LE in the car now, and have a Lumapower LM301 in each emergency backpack (I feel more comfortable using AA lights for emergency needs, since AA's are easy to find.) The UI on the LM301 is great - very simple and easy to use for my wife.

Anyway, everyday I'm learning a lot about lights just by reading the forums and reviews. I learned I don't really want those no-name ultracheap lights that might put out a lot of light, but have horrible runtime and unproven reliability (though I know every light manufacturer can have issues).

I'm now looking for a solid tough light for 'around-the-house' purposes. Since this will be a house light, something a little bigger than my other pocket lights is better (easier to find when I need it). The Surefire L1 (new CREE version), the Lumapower M1, and the Huntlight FT01XSE all caught my attention. I've been weighing the pros/cons of each but I'm still a little unsure of which to get.

I will be using primary CR123 cells (not really a rechargeable guy - already have too many plugs and chargers from other devices all around the house.) All 3 are in the same price range more or less, though the Surefire L1 is definitely more (~ $40 higher). But I am willing to spend more if it means a better light.

Which light would you recommend for home use, blackouts, treks to the backyard and short walks? Should I just play it safe and go for the Surefire L1? I'm willing to wait until the issues with the light are fixed. Do the M1 and Huntlight give me more for less $$$?

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Taepo, in my view the three lights you mention are not really suited for home or low range use in general. Take for instance Surefire L1 CREE (the only one I have): it projects a very nice, clean beam but with a very limited spill, it is a round circle of light and not much more. Additionally the low level is still a bit too strong for a fridge raiding night mission.

You should go for a flooder not for a thrower, with an Orange Peel reflector and a low level that is really low. Among the CR 123 lights I have the ones I tend to use at home are SF U2, Lumapower M3 and LM 303.

Taepo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestion. Just wanted to clarify that even though the light will be used inside the home, it will also be used outside (going for walks and digging up bodies in the backyard :naughty: )

But, I will take a look at the SF U2 - the only reservation I have is that it isn't CREE and it's expensive.

So do you think the 3 lights I mentioned are more suited as a "car" light? Maybe I'll keep the JetBeam C-LE at home then.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
L1 is an awesome light - the best all around light IMO. simple interface, lifetime warranty (from a company that will be around and stand behind it), and is built like a tank. If you want more spill, you could always buy a diffuser.

I'd say the L1 is your best bet.

Taepo

Newly Enlightened
Interesting...never thought about the U-bin Huntlight. Question - I noticed that the cree version and lux version have the same advertised runtimes (4 hours). I would have expected the cree version to run longer - then again I'm assuming the 4 hour runtime is based on the 150 lumen output?

How about one that isn't a CREE, but is a luxeon special bin, and isn't that expensive ? Luxeon runtimes, but you can use rechargable batteries. A nice light for the money that you won't be too protective of.

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2419

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're considering the Lumapower M1 and Huntlight FT-01 Crees, also look at the Dereelight CL1H 2.0. It's available in the Manufacturer's Corner from Dereelight direct. I picked up a couple and really like them. The Dereelight costs 2/3rd the cost of the M1 and FT-01 Crees with equal performance and quality.

Regarding runtime, the drivers between the Lux and Cree versions are likely unchanged so they drive the LED at the same current resulting in the same runtimes. The driver does not know or care what the load is if it is a constant current driver (as long as it can meet the current demand).

CTR

Newly Enlightened
For blackouts/powercuts, in my opinion, I don't think there's much better than the 4D-Maglite with luxeon 3W conversion.

Yes, it is big and bit heavy but thats the only drawback I can see. I have 2 myself and it is perfect. The shop who sold it to me claimed that on fresh batteries, you can leave the light on continuously for about 1 week and it will be still be working. I'm not sure about the claims but I've been using one around the house for about 10-12 months now, and have never changed the batteries.

Its still very bright. Also, we had a powercut shortly after I bought it, and if you take off the maglite bezel/head the LED is exposed which was perfect as it would easily light up a small room. Not to mention the excellent focusable head on the maglite which is very handy as it has very good throw and if you adjust it for wide beam, its perfect for diy work.

It also acts as a good self-defense weapon too! :cool:

shrock

Newly Enlightened
Lumapower M1 & HuntLight FT-01x CREE

I just bought both of these. The LumaPower M1 came today so I havent had a chance to play with it outside yet.

My Impressions....

Quality of both seems great. Tint is better on the Lumapower. Truly white and I am finicky about this. Could just be my luck of the draw though.

The HuntLight has a very floody beam. It's great inside or medium range outside, but pretty crappy all the way across my back yard. With the five levels, I think it would be great for what you want (around-the-house). It reminds me a bit of a multi-level version of my Surefire L4 (Lux V) ...that is currently missing...ARGH....except the HuntLight is bigger and heavier.

The LumaPower seems like it will have much better throw (I'll find out tonight). Even with the textured reflector, it has a much more focused hot spot, but still has good spill.

So far I'm liking the LumaPower better overall...especially for an an outdoor light that needs some range. Huntlight gets the nod indoors or for closeup.

Last edited: