Kai Domain 5 mode single AA light - first impressions

Luminescent

Enlightened
Kaidomain 5 mode Light - First Impressions

Kaidomain recently upgraded thier previous 4 mode light to a full 5 mode light for only 15 dollars.

I ordered the standard round single AA version (without the fluted front lens hood).

https://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=2436

I have to admit that I started to get a slight case of 'buyers remorse', while waiting for it to arrive, when I read some nasty comments about similar lights from Kai and DX here on CPF.

One fellow cut his light up into tiny pieces with bolt cutters and posted the pictures.

Fortunately, all my queasy feelings only lasted until my light arrived, then I realize that this inexpensive little light can actually perform pretty well for the money I spent.

If you would like to see an internal breakdown and read another perspective, here is a review of the simalar Kaidomain 4 mode light:

http://www.lightreviews.info/kai_cree_4modes/review.html

Note that my model is the Kaidomain single AA 5 mode light (not the 14500 light reviewed), so there will be some differences in output and runtimes.

Also my light seems to be an updated version which has fixed many of the issues mentioned.

Here are my impressions of the Kaidomain 5 mode single AA flashlight . . .

OVERALL
The Kaidomain 5 mode light is a pretty standard five mode, tail switch reverse clicky light.

The mode sequence is HIGH, MEDIUM, LOW, STROBE, SOS.

Mode switching is by a partial press on the rear clicky, and is fairly reliable, though the light occasionally fails to recognize a click (on the other hand, it almost never skips modes, which sometimes happens with other lights).

This light also features 'mode memory' and will start up when first turned on in the same mode as was last used (this is a nice feature that even some of the heavy-hitter high end lights lack).

OUTPUT AND BEAM QUALITY
The beam quality and brightness are pretty incredible for such a low cost light.

In simple terms, this light is one of the brightest single AA lights I own, easily matching some much more expensive CREE lights at the high end that cost three or four times as much.

Roughly equivalent brightness to a Fenix L1D with a really nice pure white tint [with no green, blue, or purple overtones]. It may be just 'luck of the draw' but this light seems to have both the best brightness and best tint of just about any of the CREE lights I own so far (regardless of cost).

I have a couple luxeon lights that are perhaps a little warmer [color temp wise], but they don't have anywhere near the output of this light.

The Kaidomain 5 mode light has a good quality reflector that focuses to a very nice spot and spill beam. The only lights I have with more throw than the Kaidomain CREE 5 mode are much larger multi-cell lights like my 3 D-Cell 3W.

SOME NIT-PICKS
I notice that the CREE LED in my Kaidomain 5 mode light is very slightly off center on it's starboard mounting.

The reviewer in the above link, in reviewing a similar Kai 4 mode light also noted this issue, and some have really used this to knock the quality of these lights, so let me give you my take on what I think may be going on here.

I think the cagey Kaidomain folks may have simply made a engineering tradeoff here, because the large reflector in the Kai light tolerates the centering issue well (with ZERO effect that I can see on the beam pattern), and because quite likely the 'off-center' issue with these emitter stars allowed them to get these [otherwise] top quality P4 LED's at a good price, and therefore to give you a much higher brightness and color bin rated CREE than you would normally find in a 15 dollar light.

For example, looking closely, I can see that my CREE P4 LED in my Kaidomain 5 mode light is the newer 4 bond wire type, which is not something I would necessarily expect to see in a 15 dollar light.

In fact, in perfectly fairness, as I noted above, other than this insignificant centering issue, the P4 in my Kaidomain light is not only better than any other low cost light I own, it easily equals the brightness and tint quality of the 50 and 60 dollar lights I own as well.

I have a CREE Q5 bin emitter on order for this light, but the color and brightness of the original CREE P4 emitter is so good that I may end up swapping it into another light.

MECHANICAL QUALITY
I guess there have been some quality issues in the past with DX and Kai lights, and my light did arrive with slightly loose head and reflector assemblies in addition to the above-mentioned LED centering issues.

I think the reflector is intended to be slightly adjustable, with the o-ring providing the friction to keep it in place, but the o-ring is a little skinny to do the job, so I just snugged my light's head down all the way, which took care of the looseness and gives a nice perfect tight clean spot with good throw and also a very nice uniform spill beam.

Don't over tighten the head though, or it will pinch down onto the CREE P4.

A little tension will be more than enough to keep things snug, but too much could cut through the round disk of reflective insulating film that protects the CREE (and possibly short out the emitter).

I have mine fairly snug, and had it even tighter before I realized that there could be problems if it was too tight, and I haven't had any problems, so if you don't get too crazy, then things should be fine.

If in doubt, others have suggested that you can also make the head threads tighter with a few wraps of Teflon plumbers tape, then it will stay put without being tightened all the way down against the CREE star board emitter.

All together, the total time I invested in fiddling with the light to get everything spiffed up was only about 10 minutes, and I consider it time well spent considering how well the light now performs.

I think one reason that my Kaidomain light arrived with a loose head is that the head is NOT POTTED like some others.

This means things can get loose, but on the plus side, it makes it a lot easier if I want to get into the light to replace the CREE emitter with an upgraded one later.

Speaking of upgrades, another great thing about this light is that it uses a standard full sized luxon style star mounting board for the LED emitter ('luxon star' is obviously just the style of the mounting board, the LED can be a CREE or Seoul P4, Rebel or anything you want). This makes it really simple to replace the emitter, even for average guys that don't have access to a machine shop. You will have to unscrew a couple screws and unsolder and resolder a couple wires, but that's about it (you won't find a light that's easier to get into and modify).

Overall, other than the slightly loose head and really minor LED centering issue, the overall mechanical quality of my Kaidomain 5 mode light seems to be really nice.

The outer black finish is perfect without a single nick or imperfection of any sort, and seems quite tough (not HA3 but quite nice none the less).

Some have complained about the tail switch, but I have had ZERO problems with the tail switch electrically or mechanically, and though it was a little stiff at first, it has gotten better with use, and is now quite nice.

The light also comes with a very nice holster, and a pretty silly 'wist strap' (which won't fit the wrist of anyone older than about 5 years old). I have found that the strap will fit snuggly around the palm of my hand, and then it would be able to perform it's intended purpose of keeping you from dropping the light, but I finally decided to simply remove it.

RUN TIMES
The run times are quite good on standard AA's considering the output levels available. This light doesn't have a really 'Low-Low' level though, so you are limited to about 4 hours in the lowest mode. I didn't try any higher voltage Lithium cells, and don't know if this model light will tolerate them (kaidomain has other lights specifically for lithium cells),

Because of the low voltages in a single AA cell design, some have noted that similar lights have had problems with not starting back up with mostly depleted cells, but that seems to be fixed in my light. It will suck the cells down to maybe 1% or 2% in 'moon' mode before the 'no restart' situation occurs, and even then if you wait a minute or two for the cells to recover to 0.8 volts or so, the light will fire right back up and run the last little bit out of the batteries (not so great an idea with L-ion rechargeable, but fine for Alkaline and NiMH)

Here are the specifics of the runtimes at the various power levels:
Run time on my light in the highest 'Turbo' mode is a solid 1 Hour and 10 minutes before the output starts to fall off (and about another 20 minutes or so at gradually reducing brightness). In this mode there is up to about 20-25 degrees F temperature rise (11 to 14 degrees C). This is enough to indicate that the light is driving the LED emitter pretty hard, but not enough to be cause for concern.

Run time in the middle 'medium' mode (which is really closer to high mode on most lights) is about 2 hours which sounds a little short until you consider that in this mode it is just as bright as my Jetbeam C-LE (ver 1.2) running in it's HIGHEST mode (which also runs about 2 hours). The modes on the Kaidomain light are all a bit brighter than most of my other multi-mode lights (You could say the light runs Turbo, High, and Medium rather than High, Medium and Low) In this mode the light is not working nearly as hard and only heats up by a couple degrees.

In it's lowest power mode the Kaidomain light is still pretty damn bright, easily matching most of my 1 Watt luxeon lights in brightness, but blowing them away on runtime at about 4 hours. For example my single AA luxeon light only runs about 2 hours, but the Kaidomain gives about the same overall light output for twice that long. This is exactly what I would expect from a light based on the twice as efficient CREE P4 LED emitter, and indicates that the boost regulator is actually turning in very respectable performance in the Kaidomain 5 mode light.

For those that hate the PWM flicker that some lights show on the lower modes, the Kaidomain light does not show any flicker at all, even when the head is waved back and forth quite quickly (most likely the light is using some kind of current regulation, not PWM, to control brightness).

The strobe function is very intense. About 8 - 10 Hz at full brightness (VERY annoying). Most think this mode is pretty much useless (ideally suited for fending off hordes of attacking epileptics, but not much else), but it might be quite useful on a boat or in the wilderness as a unique signaling device to help someone pick you out at a distance after establishing contact by radio. For example, if someone breaks their leg while backpacking and you need to help a helicopter pinpoint your location, this strobe will do a great job of NOT looking like any other light sources in the surrounding area.

The SOS function on the Kaidomain 5 mode light gets high marks with me for NOT playing by the strict technical morse code rules and using slightly exaggerated dot-dash and inter-character spacing. Some lights use the 'computer correct' 3:1 ratio and correct [barely noticeable] increase in time between characters. This is fine if you are a computer or expert in morse code, but I think the exaggerated sequence used by the Kaidomain 5 mode light is much more likely to be quickly and correctly recognized by the average person who only knows the basic . . . - - - . . . SOS sequence.

Sorry I didn't check the run times in STROBE or SOS mode.

CONCLUSIONS
I like the Kaidomain 5 mode light a lot, there are a couple minor issues with quality that you can nit-pick, but nothing I couldn't straighten out in a few minutes, and overall I think it's a very good value for the money I paid.

There are a few minor things I would change:

First, I wish the medium and low modes were a little lower, because the light is so bright and efficient that it would still give good output with a lot less drive in the lower modes, and I would really appreciate the longer run times that would result.

Second, I would rather see this light use the now pretty common MEDIUM, LOW, HIGH, STROBE, SOS sequence that is used by the Jetbeam C-LE, Fenix L0D and others, because I find this sequence more useful than the current HIGH, MED, LOW, STROBE, SOS sequence. Also the current sequence makes it a real pain to try to see the small difference between HIGH, and MED on this light, so you can't select between these modes very well. With a MED, LOW, HIGH (or alternately HIGH, LOW, MED) sequence you can't so easily confuse adjacent modes, so these sequences are much better for most clicky switch and twisty switch lights were missed modes can be confusing.

Last edited:

KWillets

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I ordered on of these a few days ago, and it looks like a decent design. A low-low mode would be better, especially if I swap in a Q5, but 4 hours on an AA is hardly bad.

FWIW I'm also still happy with my Kai Venture. It has had one problem with water getting into the tail switch(?) and corroding the contact, but easily fixed. All of these lights seem to benefit from an application of ProGold or electrician's contact grease (Oxy-something, used to prevent aluminum wiring from burning down your house).

Luminescent

Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I ordered on of these a few days ago, and it looks like a decent design. A low-low mode would be better, especially if I swap in a Q5, but 4 hours on an AA is hardly bad.

FWIW I'm also still happy with my Kai Venture. It has had one problem with water getting into the tail switch(?) and corroding the contact, but easily fixed. All of these lights seem to benefit from an application of ProGold or electrician's contact grease (Oxy-something, used to prevent aluminum wiring from burning down your house).

I think the runtime is probably a function of the voltage bin on the emitter, mine seems to be a little better than spec, so I guess I lucked out (I'm sure the 4 bond wire CREE P4 with the lower Vf bin helps).

I have some Luxeon 100 Lumen Rebel emitters coming from Future. Most of the Rebel 100's that others have been getting are in the lowest Vf bin of only about 3 volts, so that may be a good choice for this light (though I'll have to machine up a star mount that puts the surface mount Rebel at the right height for the reflector in my light).

It's pretty easy to upgrade the o-rings at the head and tail switch end, and I did go inside the head on my light and snug up the circular ring that retains the reflector in place. This puts pressure on the front lens o-ring in order to ensure that the light will be a little more water tight (again don't overdo the torque here).

I wish I knew how to get the tail cap open, so I could also do a better job of sealing that up, but I think that the tail switch is a problem on lots of similar lights, limiting them to 'dunkable' as opposed to 'waterproof' status.

Last edited:

Luminescent

Enlightened
No, I'm not witty, alas. And I'm not a connoisseur when it comes to mundane objects like flashlights. I also seldom harbour exalted expectations, and when I do it's never about material objects. And lastly, although I'm 1.92 metres tall and above average in muscle strenght I certainly do not consider myself mighty in any way whatsoever. I do, however, appreciate when products work as advertised. When not I tend to have a slight affliction of the old temper.
Please edit your post, as I feel that it could be interpreted as a tad offensive towards my person.

Edit. "Was", grammatically that would be mentioning me in past tense. Or? I'm still about and around.

If you got a lemon, you got a lemon, and I guess you are entitled to express your feelings about that as you like, but I have no wish to offend you by being critical of the way you expressed your opinions on your Kaidomain light, so I have edited the post to remove the comments you found offensive.

Sorry if you thought the comments were a bit sarcastic.

I agree that sarcasm is generally not appropriate.

Imagine for example, that you are running a web site, and you try to market some reasonably priced lights that are tailored specifically to flashlight fans.

You have lights with CREE LEDS because some are fans of CREE, you have lights with SSC LEDS, because some are fans of SSC, you have lights with several kinds of Lithium cells plus good old AA batteries just to try to make everyone happy.

You even try to post run time and output graphs on some of your lights to show that you are trying to make them competitive with the high end lights from other companies.

You do your best to deal with the quality issues that come up when you try to compete with high-end products like Fenix at less than a third the cost.

You are proud enough of your lights, to put your site name proudly right there on the side of each of your creations.

Then one day you log into CPF and find that someone has totally trashed your light, not only with some extremely sarcastic language, but trashed it in the literal sense, by chopping it to bits with bolt cutters.

No, I am not the nameless engineer at Kaidomain who's light you trashed, I have no relationship to the site whatsoever, but I am an engineer who has had to deal with the headaches of trying to turn out a quality product in our new 'global economy', and so I was just a bit irritated by your post, and should have perhaps contacted you privately to express my feelings on the matter.

Based on my comments above, I think you must admit that Kaidomain, for whatever faults you may think they have, is at least *trying* to be a flashlight fan oriented dealer, so they should be encouraged and given constructive feedback to help them build better products, not discouraged to the point that they just decide to drop their flashlight product line entirely.

Those are my feelings on the subject, but like you, I guess I tried to be a little witty and pass along the message in a less serious (if slightly sarcastic) way.

Probably not the best idea, sorry.

Last edited:

NickBose

Enlightened
Would this Kai 5-mode light out-throw the MTE SSC P4 A42180 (4200 lux overall, 58 lumens, 3000 center lux)

633120314880312500.jpg

kanarie

Enlightened
Last week I got one of these from Kai in the mail (Canceled the order months ago)
and I have to say it is rough but very decent and functional.
the led is off center and if you twist the head it flickers. it also has some sharp edges. but all in all it is pretty Ok; pretty bright, pretty solid and the different modes work fine . I emailed them about their mistake and asked if I could keep it; they said yes but only if you pay the full price. So I think I will send it back...(but first they have to pay the shipping costs :nana:)

Luminescent

Enlightened
beamshots contender from left :-
Jetbeam CLE V.1 / Kai AA 5 modes / DX cree.
all on hi mode.
( this imageshack is giving me problem again while uploading it )

clekaidxcreeja0.jpg

kaidxcreecle2wv3.jpg

kaidxcreeclety5.jpg

I fixed the image links so your pics will show up as inline images.

That's about how my Kaidomain5 mode looks compared to my Jetbeam C-LE.

Before I got the Kaidomain light I thought the C-LE was incredibly bright, but I have to admit that the Kai light is even brighter (both total output and throw).

I still also like my C-LE a lot though, because it has better options on power levels with longer run times, and is more pocketable.

Luminescent

Enlightened
Thanks Luminescent,
How do you fix it?

I really like what this forum represents, and all the fine folks here, but the forum web server software is pretty quirky.

I use photobucket.com and they have preformatted url's for different uses, and I noticed that the preformatted 'forum' crosslink that they provide simply wraps the normal http:// URL into a couple of [ I M G ] tags.

The image url gets tags that look like this [I M G]http://your.image.url.here.com[/I M G]

Actually I added some spaces to the IMG tags inside the square brackets above to make sure that the server would show them only as text and not try to process them, so just take out the spaces and show them as IMG and /IMG with square brackets around them.

These special bracketed 'tags' trigger the server to insert your image URL as an inline image.

The CPF web server editor should also wrap your URL in these same tags when you use the 'insert image' feature of the editor but for some stupid reason this function is all fouled up, so just add the tag text manually before and after the URL that points to your pics, and things should be fine.

KWillets

Newly Enlightened
BTW this light is now upgraded to a Q2 bin. I think my order slid over to the new version, as it spent most of the week on hold. The photos seem to indicate that it's a black Elly, with all the joys and sorrows that that implies.

As far as fixing tailcap switches go, somebody posted instructions. I can't remember exactly, but the switch body is a pressure fit in the tailcap, with the contact pressing against the inside surface. You pull the battery spring to get the switch out.

The reason mine leaked was that it had a significant amount of impact and vibration mounted on my bike -- it actually flickered off while riding as the contacts shook and oxidized. Normal use is probably much better.

Luminescent

Enlightened
BTW this light is now upgraded to a Q2 bin. I think my order slid over to the new version, as it spent most of the week on hold. The photos seem to indicate that it's a black Elly, with all the joys and sorrows that that implies.

As far as fixing tailcap switches go, somebody posted instructions. I can't remember exactly, but the switch body is a pressure fit in the tailcap, with the contact pressing against the inside surface. You pull the battery spring to get the switch out.

The reason mine leaked was that it had a significant amount of impact and vibration mounted on my bike -- it actually flickered off while riding as the contacts shook and oxidized. Normal use is probably much better.

Thanks for the tailswitch info.

For a good 100% waterproof light to use with a bike flashlight clip, I would grab a Jetbeam C-LE. I have tried my C-LE at the bottom of the bathtub for 30 minutes with no leaks at all.

My latest C-LE is the ver 1.2 from Emilions, and it is quite bright and has a slightly floodier beam which lights things up really great on high, and it will run for about 2 hours on one NiMH or Alkaline AA cell.

Not quite as bright as the Kaidomain light, but does a nice job, and no tail cap to leak.

Banging around on a bumpy ride may create battery rattle, and might cause the positive contact on the head to wear a little on any light, but you can always put a small blob of solder on the head to increase it's wear resistance, and wrap a post-it note around the battery to reduce the rattle, then the light should give years of service even under these rough conditions.

Luminescent

Enlightened
My order just arrived, and I'm looking at the light. It seems like the head is glued on. Any ideas?

Sorry, I don't know how much or what kind of glue they may have used.

I didn't mean to create problems for Modders, but when I received my light I sent an email to Kaidomain and mentioned that it arrived with a loose head, so I imagine that they wanted to fix this issue.

Actually I am impressed. This shows that they want to build a solid light and that their heart was in the right place.

Is it working well otherwise?

The reason I ask is that I finally decided not to change the emitter in mine because it is working so damn well (really bright, perfect color).

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
is the runtime based on alks or E2 , can the circuit handle e2 1.7v

Luminescent

Enlightened
is the runtime based on alks or E2 , can the circuit handle e2 1.7v

I used new freshly charged 2000mAh Rayovac Hybrid NiMH cells.

The runtime on high will probably be less than one hour on an alkaline AA, but you should still be able to get a coulple hours on low, and low on this light looks like about 20 lumens so that's still pretty bright.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The runtime on high will probably be less than one hour on an alkaline AA, but you should still be able to get a coulple hours on low, and low on this light looks like about 20 lumens so that's still pretty bright.
I'll be updating my multi-stage AA review in few days, but I can give you a couple of numbers now.

With this 5-stage light on Medium, you get about 1hr to 50% on alkaline. On Low, about 2.5hrs to 50% on alkaline. I haven't tested Hi on alkaline yet, but it's bound be less than 1 hour.

To put that in perspective, the JB C-LE v1.2 and Rex2.1 on Medium (which both have about the same initial output as this 5-stage light's Low mode) you get almost twice the runtime: 5-6 hours, respectively, to 50% on alkaline (and with better regulation to boot).

It seems these 5-stage lights are clearly optimized for NiMH. FYI, on Hi with 2650mAh I get 1hr 22mins to 50%, which isn't bad given that the overall output is slightly higher than my Fenix L1DCE-Q2 for most of that time (the L1DCE-Q2 lasts for over just over 2hours to 50% on the same 2650mAh NiMH).