CR2 ION, Original or XR-E??

DDS

Enlightened
I'm in the market for a small pocket flood light and have been eyeballing the ION. I am interested in a smooth flood light for EDC. I have read about the differences between these two versions and see that the XR-E model is more efficient and therefore, has longer runtime. I was leaning towards this model until I read that it has beam artifacts and does not have as smooth or wide of flood as the original "X" model( I am sensitive to artifacts...I hate my U2's donut). For you owners of both lights, does the "X" version have a nicer flood albeit, less bright/runtime? Is it more than adequate for general purpose lighting? I would like to be able to see things clearly across a standard size bedroom. I was worried if I chose the XR-E model that the hotspot on low would be too distracting for reading at night or close up work. Which models do you owners like best?
Thanks! Dave

speederino

Enlightened
I own both an original Ion and an Ion with an XR-E. I have a strong preference for the original Ion. For indoor and up-close work, including reading (all of which you mention!) the original Ion is king. There is almost no hotspot to speak of, just a nice smooth wall of light. The XR-E version has a defined hotspot that isn't too strong (warmspot?) but it does have artifacts and is not smooth. If you need more throw than the XR-E upgrade is for you. Otherwise go with the original.

I do not notice a major difference in runtimes between the two. On low it runs forever (~40 hrs) and on high I get a little more than an hour.

DM51

Flashaholic
Same here - I have both versions too. The original has about the nicest flood going, with hardly any hotspot, while the XT is much brighter with a distinct hotspot and very good throw (no artifacts on mine - a very good clean beam). I have had the XT on my keychain since before Christmas.

It really depends on which beam characteristic you want, and how bright you want it.

DDS

Enlightened
speederino and DM51: thanks for the replies :) I really don't need throw so I'll probably go for the original model. I have found over the years that for daily use the most important thing to me is general illumination indoors and at night outdoors, finding my way around in dimly lit areas. I like the form factor of the ION since I plan on carrying it everday. I've had my Arc AAA(original model) on my key chain for years and it has saved me many times. I hope to have the ION serve those needs and more as a pocket EDC. Thanks again. Dave

Latest posts