Newbie choose advice... Fenix, Surefire or other?

Katsumoto

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys!

I live in Brazil and just to show how Newbie I am, before knowing CPF I always thought that the best flashlights were the ones manufactured by MagLite. Now, after reading some threads at CPF I am surprised with the options and the poor performance of Mag compared to others.

I found CPF after I decided to research before buying a brand new SERIOUS flashlight. Since I am newbie here, I would like some advice from someone more experienced.

I can only afford a limit of USD 100 to buy my new flashlight and I would like to buy the BEST flashlight that this money could buy.

I would like a flashlight with good focus range and a good "survival" runtime. I also would like that this flashlight could be compact and useful at urban environment and at work (General Information Technology issues).

So, I ask you guys: Should I buy a Fenix P2D-CE, a Surefire G2 Nitrolon or any other option?

Thank you very much for your help!

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys!

I live in Brazil and just to show how Newbie I am, before knowing CPF I always thought that the best flashlights were the ones manufactured by MagLite. Now, after reading some threads at CPF I am surprised with the options and the poor performance of Mag compared to others.

I found CPF after I decided to research before buying a brand new SERIOUS flashlight. Since I am newbie here, I would like some advice from someone more experienced.

I can only afford a limit of USD 100 to buy my new flashlight and I would like to buy the BEST flashlight that this money could buy.

I would like a flashlight with good focus range and a good "survival" runtime. I also would like that this flashlight could be compact and useful at urban environment and at work (General Information Technology issues).

So, I ask you guys: Should I buy a Fenix P2D-CE, a Surefire G2 Nitrolon or any other option?

Thank you very much for your help!

I think everyone thinks that Maglites are top of the line before they join this site. That's the main reason why Mags are still selling like hotcakes.

Anyway to answer your question I think you would LOVE any of the new Fenix Digital models especially the P2DCE. The Surefire G2 was impressive 5 years ago but the Fenix P2D has the same brightness (on high) and runs for over twice as long on only 1 cell. I have one and carry it everyday. It is my go to small light because of the incredible runtime on low and the very high brightness on high. I don't think anyone out there has topped it yet.
If you order one make sure to buy one with a textured reflector. This will make the beam very smooth and ringless. It will however deminish the throw slightly, but I personally think it is well worth it.

jbosman1013

Enlightened
fenix is a great light but surefire is higher quality. if you want multi mode get a fenix and if you want endless upgrade options get a surefire. the fenix light will fit better in you pocket than the surefire but the best light is the surefire.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF :wave:,
well if I had to choose just between a G2 and a P2D, then I would definitely take the P2D. Both of these lights run on CR123A - they are usually very expensive in retail stores, can you get them cheap?
If you want a light that runs on cheap AA batteries then a Fenix L2D CE (or smaller L1D) is a good option.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
both are nice lights but theres better choices. like the p3d-ce. the quality of that light is more than most will ever need. surefire quality while top notch is rather over built for the average user. a fenix will suit you fine and fenix-store will take care of you like no other.

Lumalee

Newly Enlightened
Hey Mossyoak, you look mighty cute in them jeans !!! sorry couldnt resist, but yes yes yes I know the truth, lol

Regarding the lights though, G2 is very impressive and good throw with incredible brightness, but the longer runtime on the P2d I think swings it for me, so really depends on how you think you will use your light, plus as Daniel_SK says, CR123 cells can be quite expensive.

Just my 2c
Regards
Lee

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
Get an L1D-CE from the Fenix-Store..Runs on common AA batts and is plenty bright! Four levels with strobe and s.o.s.. By the way, welcome to CPF!! :thumbsup:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome to CPF!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Daekar

Enlightened
It depends on the availability and price of CR123a cells where you live... If they're cheaper (about 1USD each) then the P1D-CE, P2D-CE, or P3D-CE are great choices depending on what particular interfaces you size you want. If rechargable AAs are more your style then I highly recommend the L1D-CE or L2D-CE. I would say the L2D-CE is the most "useful" in generic flashlight terms because it's size makes it easy to handle, it has good battery life, and it's bright! Unless you're planning on using this light for short amounts of time where you need to blind someone in combat conditions, I would shy away from the G2... they're good, but for general use the Fenix lights are far superior.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, more of the above.....except that I would go with this combination......get the Fenix L2DCE and a spare P2DCE body/tailcap. This way you can use the 2x AA body for normal planned use and if you need a back up pocket carry light, change to the P2D body (1x CR123). Remember, if its not with you when you need it then its useless.....or something like that...:)

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Need 2 stages, Low/High. LED SSC P4 or Cree Q2/Q5 able to use rechargeable for Guilt free lumens. Have a look at the CPFMarketplace, there is quite a number of lights available with your budget.

I went the wrong way. I bought many many lights before and had to sell them as unutilised. So take your time in deciding, there is alot of information within this forums, be patience and you willbe rewarded........to me every light/brand have its pros and cons, just don't invest for the wrong reasons!

ensile

Enlightened
p2dce-q2, the wow factor.

tiny, tough, bright! New OP for fenix, smoother, wider flood, but nice throw still intact.

Good luck..

Or pay extra $50 and get a nova 120p, superb light.

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
I would if it was out yet say to get the SF G2L (LED) but since its not then I guess the fenix would be better depending on your usage. The G2 will be better build quality. But the fenix is brighter. The SF is water proof to 33 feet if i remember right. the fenix was rated as "dunkable". It also depends if you just want to turn the light on and thats it (that simple) or if you want to click through different modes. (Low, Medium, High, SOS) It also depends on the price of CR123A's in your location. The SF will be more expensive to feed if you don't have any small stores that sell SF cells in bulk or you can't get shipping to your location online without paying alot of money. But that will effect both of them. So depending on your situation of use then i would say the Fenix first for a light thats just about being bright. or the SF thats about having better build quality and not as bright but not "dark" either.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Katsumoto, welcome to CPF!

In my opinion, the first step is to decide if you want incandescent ("yellower" output) or LED (white light). To me, both have their place and usefulness.

As others have said, consider carefully if you want a light that uses expensive CR123 cells. I would also suggest that you search CPF for information on lithium batteries. Lighter in weight than alkalines, and with a longer shelf life, lithium batteries are my favorites, but use them cautiously and wisely, as they have been known to explode.

The bottom line however, is how/where (what conditions) you're going to use the light. You mention "good focus range"--are you talking about the ability to "focus" the light beam, or are you referring to how far the light reaches, more commonly known on CPF as "throw?" (Keep in mind that SureFire lights are not focusable. I have no experience with Fenix, so can't comment there.)

You also mention "survival runtime"--if you need the light to run endlessly on a set of batteries, the G2 and like lights won't cut it. There are other options that can provide for extra long runtime, but at much reduced light output.

I can't comment on the Fenix, but if I were you and buying SureFire, I'd go for the E2e. Smaller in size, and you can save up for the KL4 head, which would give you the choice of incandescent or LED to meet specific conditions. The are also a number of other accessories/attachments for maximum flexibility.