Newbie want lites for 20

xcel260

Newly Enlightened
We had a power outage the other day and were in total darkness, the backup systems came online 3 minutes later and we were lit up again. However this freaked out some folks, SO I wanted to get them a flashlite for EDC. Of course I don't want to spend hundreds, a little thumb light would be enough. BUT if I could get a cool 5 watt mini for the same price that would be cool. Any ideas?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Since most everyone you're buying for is probably a non-flashaholic you might just want to get them something like the Rayovac 1AAA penlight. Shorter than most pens with a pocket clip and rear clickie switch, it can easily be stashed in pockets or purses. Dim, but adequate spot beam for lighting up dark windowless bathrooms and stairways. It seems to have good runtime. Best of all, it's just $2.97 at Walmart and comes in three colors (dark blue, grey, and orange/red).

Geoff

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me... there's the good stuff. Hotwire mods, HIDs, Surefires.
For everyone else there's "Fauxton"

+1
These are absolutely great, and I have a few stuck about here and there on my stuff as well.

For a more substantial light at a cheap price surf around DX a bit more. Not military grade quality but generally decent.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
When a guy at work needed a low cost light, I bought him a 12 LED, 1AA Light for $6 from Lighthound. It put out a very impressive wall of light, on a par with an Innova X5. The tint wasn't the greatest, and I have no idea of what the runtime on a single cell might have been, but it was of fairly decent quality. Definitely not a flashaholics light, but of all the lights I've tried, this is the one I would go for if I were buying 20. But then again, I'm cheap.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Non-flashaholics would not deliberately carry an EDC.
Best to stick to keychain lights. At least if they have their keys with them they got light.

The MXDL and 12LED 1AA are too big for pocket carry especially for non-flashaholics. Or people wearing tight jeans. If you want to give a more traditional looking light than a fauxton go for an AAA light.
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1644
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2195
Note the above 2 are actually less bright than a 2x2016 fauxton. If You need brighter:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4796

carrot

Flashaholic
Those Fauxtons are good (Photon clones) for giveaways. They won't cost you much to give to a bunch of people, they work reasonably well, and if they're on people's keychains they'll always have light. OTOH I only have real Photons on my stuff.

Latest posts