Inova X1, runs for a long time (anti-turbo mode)

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had my second Inova X1 for a while now (returned my 1st one since I thought it was deficient). But here is what I am finding. The LED in the X1 draws a lot of current that when using alkalines, once the voltage drops to a certain level, the LED start blinking. This signifies the battery is having a hard time supplying the LED with current, dies, get's a fraction of a second of rest, comes back up again and does this repeatedly, resulting in a blinking LED. I observed this issue in both X1's when using alkalines BUT not when using rechargeables.

What I found is that if you screw-in the switch to the "on" position BUT not all the way in so that you have some electrical contact but not a full contact, you are able to draw power from the battery to the LED at a reduced rate. Since you are drawing a lesser amount of current from the battery, the LED does not blink since the depleted alkaline battery is able to sustain the current. The LED does not shine as bright but it does produce a useable amount of light.

Now what I found is that if you maintain this low current draw with the screw-in switch partially screwed in (not all the way) and drawing a small amount of current from the alkaline, the X1 runs forever on a regular depleted alkaline - 10 hours so far and counting. The light is definitely not dim and is bright enough for use in a dark house or campsite.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
But if you are going to use it in this manner, why not just get the gen2 instead of the gen3?

I've got the gen2 as well :) I got both. Just thought I'd share my findings with everyone whose got a gen3.