MRV - Forward Momentary/Constant On clickie?

Veovius

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I just got my MRV from a guy on here, and it rocks :D The only question I have is that I want to get a new switch, as I'm not too fond of reverse clickies. I'm looking for something like my Inova T3, where a half-press is momentary, and a full press is constant on. Is there an assembly I can swap in?

Thanks!

jki

Newly Enlightened
Lumapower was working on a forward clickie switch module as of a month ago, and I am sure that they will come out with one sooner or later. It seems their recent re-organization is delaying new product introductions temporarily.
I just received the OP reflector for my MRV from BatteryJunction yesterday, and I am extremely happy with the beam quality. The central hotspot is still intense, but not quite as focused, and the spill is significantly brighter. No more rings or yellow bands. Make no doubt, even with the OP reflector, the MRV is still a throw monster. I lit up a neighbor's chimney about 50 yards away with very usable brightness. But the great thing is that the brighter spill makes the flashlight much better close in. The MRV now lights up my backyard like no other LED light I own, and still has incredible throw. Best of both worlds. I would say that the OP reflector really enhances the utility of the MRV within the "usable" limits of its reach. It may throw a bit further with the smooth reflector, but does it really put out a usable intensity at 100+ yards? At those distances, the benefits of throw from a single cell flashlight are perhaps more theoretical than real. The OP reflector really enhances the performance of the MRV out to 100 feet or so, and still maintains usable throw out to double that, at least. For most of us, I would bet that this is a good tradeoff. Highly recommended!

readyme

Newly Enlightened
Lumapower was working on a forward clickie switch module as of a month ago, and I am sure that they will come out with one sooner or later. It seems their recent re-organization is delaying new product introductions temporarily.

I am interested in the M1, but I also want the foward clickey switch. I think I will wait until it is actually out.
I have never heard of the Lumapower company...are you all pleased with their products? Any problems?

What really seperates all the the seemingly endless flashlight companies?

They all seem to turn out the same looking lights with many of the same features.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll let some others post their reviews of the products themselves but I'd like to address 'what makes LumaPower different.'

LumaPower, as a user noted a few days ago is the "Surefire of China." They build or more truly overbuild well engineered, finely crafted flashlights made for rugged duty. High quality Aluminum, thick aluminum walls, hard anodizing and heavily heatsinked. LumaPower responds quickly to the marketplace and has shown their agility by releasing 7 new Cree or Seoul based poducts in the last 6-7 months each of which is or was a market leader at the time of released and all of which remain relevant, interesting and appealing products. Lumapower believes that drive currents for emitters must be matched to appropriate heatsinking for the best lumen stability and product life. Lumapower also has tried to keep their older Luxeon models from becoming obselete by offering a product upgrade paths for most of their legacy products - something pretty much no other manufacturer has done. Another hallmark of LumaPower lights is their uncomplicated interfaces; no irrelevant modes no overtly complicated interfaces and on their lights with multiple output modes (standard or available for 6 of their 7 products) the lows are actually low and usefully extend the runtime. Lastly; LumaPower believes in providing good pre and post sales customer service either directly or through quality (ahem) resellers.

jkl - can I post your mini-review above on the MRV OP reflector page on our sites? :)

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll let some others post their reviews of the products themselves but I'd like to address 'what makes LumaPower different.'

LumaPower, as a user noted a few days ago is the "Surefire of China." They build or more truly overbuild well engineered, finely crafted flashlights made for rugged duty. High quality Aluminum, thick aluminum walls, hard anodizing and heavily heatsinked.

I agree. Really good stuff are coming from LP in HK. I have bought eight lights from them, never a problem. A number of them has been given away as gifts, always happy faces on the receivers.
Stefan

readyme

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the great information...I love all the info I get from this forum.

:thumbsup:

Looks like a Lumapower M1 is going to be joining me....though that MRV looks like a winner too.

Can somebody post pictures of the MRV and the M1 in hand. Just wondering if the MRV is too big to carry.
Thanks.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my MRV today from MattK. Very nicely made light. I have to agree that it is of superb build quality. It also throws like crazy. I'm impressed by both the build and performance. The surface and finish are really well done. The HA looks great. If you really want a great throwing light that's also built tough, the MRV is it in my opinion.

Now I'll wait for the Tiablo's to come in :grin2:

Veovius

Newly Enlightened
The MRV really isn't that big, it's just the head that's a little unwieldy. Definitely not for a pocket carry, but I'm going to throw it on my duty belt and see how it works. I anticipate no problems, just a lot of blind people at midnight :D

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matt,

What type of switch comes with the MRV?

Thanks

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitro,

2 switches come with the MRV :)

A reverse clickie and a tactical switch (press for momentary, twist for constant)

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some silly marketing fluff - but I guess 210 lumens is/was pretty revolutionary from an LED.

Oh, I thought the Revolution was a new version of the light.

What's the best batteries to run with it? I read somewhere that running 2 x RCR123 is brighter then 1 x 18650.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 RCR123A's is brighter than an 18650 by 10-15% but 1 x 18650 has about 10x the runtime - use what makes the most sense for your needs.