P3D-CE 80L, whiter beam then P2D

ddgarcia05

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a P3D-CE 80L Rebel LED and when I place it's beam by a P2D-CE (both new lights they just came in today 8/3, w/ new batteries) the P3D beam is alot more white/clearer and the P2D has a slight blue tint. Why is that? But boy do I love the lights I can't wait for sundown.

Stream

Enlightened
I think there's always going to be a slight tint difference in LEDs, even with the new Cree type LEDs. With Luxeons we used to call it "the Luxeon lottery".

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully when they developed the Rebel's they were able to improve the tint. It will be interesting to see if they vary much in tent from Rebel to Rebel. My P3D Rebel 100lm is much whiter than my P3D P4, and slightly whiter (warmer) than my P2D-CE Q2.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current crop of rebels seem to be on the warmer tint side. In the test threads it was reported to have the warmer color, and it seems the Fenix lights with rebels seem to share the same warmer tint. Some folks don't like the warmer tinted LEDs, and prefer the colder ones. Since no two LED's are exactly the same in the amount of phosphor applied to them, some tint differences will be apparent after they are made. Warmer tinted LEDs seem to bring out reds and warmer more natural tones like an incandescent. Colder LED's seem brighter to others and make white/etc "pop" more without looking dingy.

The P2D likely has a cooler tint and you are seeing two extremes. There are LED's out there that might end up right inbetween. I have some P4 Cree's that are on the warm white side, and are much warmer appearing than my L1D-CE. The next crop of rebels may not be warm white, but something else..

It all depends on the "Luxeon" or more appropriate "LED lottery" and not the brand of LED so much.

However companies are keeping the tint variations much tighter now and there aren't such nasty extremes of tint now.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my P3D CE 100L and compared it to my P2D Q2 last night and it makes my Q2 look pretty green. It also makes my original L2DCE look blue.
I would say the tint on my P3D Rebel is the whitest LED I have ever seen. I used to compare everything to my original L1P which I had modded with a SXOH Lux 1, but now it looks like nothing compared to these new lights. How the times change. :twothumbs

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the LED lottery. LED's are like apples in the store, no two alike. It has nothing to do with the model. You could buy 2 P2D's and they would look different. In the case of LED's its different tints, different efficiencies and different Vf. If you see bare emitters on CPF for sale they will generally tell you the bins, because we are picky like that. But manufactures usually just use what they can get.

Here is a chart of Lux 3 color bins. Colors are a bit over exaggerated for effect. Cree is similar but the codes are different.
4poz6tx.jpg

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it premature to say Rebel's will also suffer from the LED lottery? Is there a possibility they have found a way to keep the tints closer, or exactly the same? So far it sounds like everyone with a P3D Rebel is reporting the same results. I've yet to hear someone say their Rebel is blueish, greenish, purplish, etc.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I put my P3D Rebel 100 alongside the P3D Q2 WD it is hard to tell the difference in tint. When I add the P1D Q4 WC, I can see that it is a shade cooler.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have a Rebel from another manufacturer to compare the tint to ?