100 lumen 1AA Luxeon Rebel torch @ DX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_T

Newly Enlightened
I ordered one a couple hours ago. 100 lumenny goodness. mmmmm

I'll make some comments when it gets here.

jeep44

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the single-mode one yesterday. My first buy from DX. Probably not the last,I'm sure.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't look like it will tailstand... and I still prefer HAIII.. but looking forward to some reviews... especially about regulation, current draw and runtime. :D

musicalfruit

Newly Enlightened
The weird thing is that DX is still selling the other MTE Rebel 5-mode (070 bin) and it's a nickel more. The single mode MTE Rebel is also using a 070 bin, I think.

jb1219

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the single-mode one yesterday. My first buy from DX. Probably not the last,I'm sure.
the greatest thing about DX is that you get free flashlights in mail!! Well...they aren't "technically" free...but when you order them and forget they're coming a couple of months later, it's like free!!

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, the C2 (#4862) is a "070 bin" (thanks musicalfruit) and this new one is a "100 bin".

How much brighter would it be?

If it's much brighter, I'm buying a single mode one as soon as it is listed!

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, the C2 (#4862) is a "070 bin" (thanks musicalfruit) and this new one is a "100 bin".

How much brighter would it be?

If it's much brighter, I'm buying a single mode one as soon as it is listed!

If the drive currents are the same, it'll be 30% brighter.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
ooohh...

Impressive. Thanks Luke.

Now I have 2 questions.
1) Does the bin number coorespond to the output in lumens, perchance?

2) Is the response to light of the human eye linear or logarithmic (or other)?

To rephrase the question with an example, if light A puts out 50 lumens, and light B puts out 100 lumens, does B APPEAR to be twice as bright as A?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
ooohh...

Impressive. Thanks Luke.

Now I have 2 questions.
1) Does the bin number coorespond to the output in lumens, perchance?

2) Is the response to light of the human eye linear or logarithmic (or other)?

To rephrase the question with an example, if light A puts out 50 lumens, and light B puts out 100 lumens, does B APPEAR to be twice as bright as A?

1) The numbers refered to in this case are the number of lumens the emitter produces at 350mA.

2) Logarithmic. So the light will put out 30% more light, but it won't look like quite that much.

bspofford

Enlightened
To rephrase the question with an example, if light A puts out 50 lumens, and light B puts out 100 lumens, does B APPEAR to be twice as bright as A?[/quote]

I'm an ear doctor, not an eye doctor, but I can tell you that most of our senses work on log scales. Twice the sound or light energy is typically perceived as only a little bit more. When I went to medical school, I was taught that the human eye has a 100,000X sensitivity range. Our eyes and brains adjust so much that we can't rely them when it comes to hue or brightness for photography. Film more accurately captures the yellow of an incan or the green of a fluorescent light. And without a light meter, our photos would almost always be over or under exposed. I have the 070 C2 model and think it is very nice because it is bright and has a nice warm-white tint. Don't know for sure if I'll notice any increase in brightness, but I ordered the 100 model this past week.

Status
Not open for further replies.