CREE 5W

worldedit

Enlightened
Did i get this wrong or is the Power of a LED only limited by the produced heat? So a Q5 would be able to take more Power since its more efficient.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
So why only a 3W ?
Well, from my observations, I see it like this.

3W = bright light
4W = really bright light
5W = :poof:

Actually, in my experience, you can run Cree's at 5 watts, not too sure how long they'll last. Seoul's can't take that much overdrive without complaining. For me, the Cree has too crappy a beam at whatever level and the Seoul's just can't take the heat in the 1200-1700mA lights I'd like to use them in.

If your question is why they haven't come out with a LED designed for 5 Watts, I suppose they just aren't there yet. I'm sure their working on it.

Dave

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lumileds LuxeonV (5w) was just a way to get more light out of a single package at the time. Now we have more efficient LEDs so no need to stuff 4 dies in one package like the LuxeonV. The luxeonV also has a shorter life and 2x the voltage requirement of a normal single die led. Also since it's series/parallel setup there is the risk of a die failing due to vF miss match. They could of gone all in series to avoid this, but the voltage to run the led would be 4x of a normal led.