Good second light for when your HID runs out.

PayBack

Enlightened
Hi,

I have one of those Power on Board 35w HIDs and they're a great light for longer range use. However they last an hour and sometimes I need light for longer than that. Carrying 2 of them or a second battery isn't really an option so I was wondering what a good backup light would be?

Main need would be throw/output out to about 100 metres so I'm guessing an LED light wouldn't be an option? Please don't shoot me LED people as I haven't bought an incan for years for use at ranges under 50 metres so I'm sold on them normally :)

I know LEDs can throw to 100 metres now but do they still have a usable spot?

Next is runtime... I would like the longest runtime possible. Hours would be nice if possible.

Finally size would preferably be no begger than a 3 C cell mag.

Price of around US$ 100 I guess.. less would be better but if someone found the "perfect" light I'm dumb enough to pay twice that :D

Anyway I am considering the light below...

- Ultrafire Torch x1
- Ultrafire 18650 Rapid Charger x1 (AC100v-240v 50-60Hz Worldwide voltage) with NZ plug
- Ultrafire Protected 18650 3.7v 2400mAh batteries x2

Does anyone know the runtime for the above?

Thanks for any advice/info offered.

Cheers,

PB.

Last edited:

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
I guess I start with the assumption that you are looking for a back-up light, that your HID does not run flat all that often.
As such I suggest a Streamlight TL-3 and a couple of sets of 17500 cells. Well within you budget, small/compact as a backup, quite bright with good throw. IIRC, it comes with a spare bulb in the reflector module. The TL-3 is no HID throw monster but as backup it is not very burdensome --> i.e it will get carried/packed along on a regual basis. There are also a few TL-3 mods, Carley 1499 Halogen bulb comes to mind that pump it up a bit.

If on the other hand your HID runs out on a regualr basis and you are looking for that level of output/throw then I would look into a Mag mod or ROP. Not as easily to cart around as a TL-3 but probably the only thing short of another HID that will trick the do.

I, like you, have become a LED fan for most tasks ( especially due to runtime ) but still prefer an incan ( M3T or TL-3 ) when I need throw and/or sheer output.

PayBack

Enlightened
Hi,

Nope I don't run the HID out often but it would be nice to have something with more output than my Pelican Supersabre when it does (the sabre has good throw but I'm looking for something brighter).

Thanks I'll have a look at the TL-3. :)

waterboiler

Newly Enlightened
I think you will find the TL-3 out throws the Pelican by a good margin ( not huge ) but puts out way more light. Run time is also much better since it is CR123/Li-on based but unless I have got my pelicans' crossed the TL-3 is way smaller. The head on the TL-3 is big (2-2.5" IIRC ) but the body is not much larger than a mini-mag.

In fact the TL-3 now comes with me on weight/size critical bush trips over my M3T. Too me that says a lot about the light :thumbsup:

The TL-3 may be the best back-up throw light around, BTW I am talking about the incan version not the LED. The LED version leaves a lot to be desired, especially these days.

frogs3

Enlightened
The answer depends on how much output you want: a 3 D Mag with a Malkoff dropin and smooth reflector is good for several hours and has great throw for an led. If you want nearly five times this amount of light, a 3C Mag-based mod driving an 1185 bulb, especially with AW's soft-starter, will give nearly an hour of runtime, a small form factor, and the AW protected LiIon C's are reliable. Both are waterproof and easy to assemble.

-HAK

PayBack

Enlightened
Hi, Thanks...

I'm trying to avoid modding as I don't have the gear or knowhow and tbh I'm a lazy mofo. :D Though even I could handle a drop in bulb and reflector and I already own 2 maglites (shuddup we were all noobs at one time :)).

Frogs what do you mean by great throw for an LED? would it still have a spot of sorts at 100 metres?

PayBack

Enlightened
Yeah that looks pretty cool... and if there were pre-made ones I'd go for it, but I don't really have time to find the right lens etc. Damn impressive beam though, looks like a HID.