What's the best D26/P60 LED drop-in 4 SureFire lights now? Any Q3-Q5 bins out there?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've decided that I could use one for work to drop in my C3 or else for most likely a 6P or Z2 and I'm trying to decide whether to wait for the Sure-Fire version or go with something else. I would like it to be over 100 lumens for sure. I would prefer to run it off of a 17670. And would like something that's flexible, in other words a module that can handle 3.6-9V, depending on what type of batteries I have on hand.

I've heard of the Malkoff Devices one and the Sure-Fire ones. I've seen a few others, but I can't remember what they were called. I would prefer something that didn't have a blue tint in it and would even go for something a little warm.

Are there any Drop-ins that have a Q3-Q5 bin Cree emitter in them yet? And the brighter the better, I'm not worried about runtime.

I'm also concerned about heatsinking. I would like a drop-in that is designed to have very good heatsinking.

Last edited:

grnamin

Enlightened
Re: What is the best D26 LED drop-in for Sure-Fire lights now? Any Q3-Q5 bins out the

I would highly recommend the Malkoff Devices P60 drop-in module. It currently uses a Q2 Cree, but it's just a matter of time before Gene has them in Q4's or Q5's. It's definitely over 100 lumens. Heat sinking is good and the voltage range is within your required parameters. The best thing to do with the drop-ins that go above 100 lumens is to use them in a metal-bodied flashlight. That way, the heat dissipates throughout the whole flashlight body.

EvilPaul2112

Enlightened
Re: What is the best D26 LED drop-in for Sure-Fire lights now? Any Q3-Q5 bins out the

Hands down Gene Malkoff's P60 drop-in. Hand made, rugged, well over 100 lumens out the front. I own all the drop-ins from $8-$55. and Gene's is the best built and brightest. Malkoff also understands the importance of heat dissipation and his products show it.

Enlightened

I've owned the following D26/P60 drop-ins..

DX "12.50"
Wolf Eyes HO 170
BugOutGear Premium Plus
Malkoff Devices P60 (SSC & Cree)

By far IMO the best is Malkoff. Period. It's definitely worth the premium you pay and the customer service is top notch since it's a one man show. I have 3 Malkoff P60 drop-ins now. My main carry (Z2) uses a Malkoff module.

jbviau

Enlightened

From what I've heard the WE drop-ins in WE lights (Sniper, Raider, etc.) have good heat sinking as well.

FASTCAR

Banned

In general all Wolf Eyes lights have the best heat sinking I have ever seen.

Gene43

Enlightened

Wow! Thanks, Guys. I appreciate the kind words.

Gene Malkoff

tman11

Newly Enlightened

Another vote for Gene Malkoff's P60 drop ins. I also have both of his versions of the P60 drop ins (Cree & SSC). You can't beat them. I even bought a SF M2 specifically to house them. The Wolf Eyes HO 170 Lum comes in a VERY close second. Own these drop ins and you will be very satisfied!!

tibim

Newly Enlightened

I too am looking for the best p60 dropin and was really considering the malkoff dropin ... looks bright & great build quality but I noted one thing...

"Note: This drop-in module was intended to operate at maximum brightness for short periods of time for tactical useage similar to the origional setup. Operating the unit for more than 15 minutes at a time may cause damage to the drop-in module."

Anyone have experience running this dropin for periods over 15 minutes? I don't like to have this limitation...

-tibim

EvilPaul2112

Enlightened

I too am looking for the best p60 dropin and was really considering the malkoff dropin ... looks bright & great build quality but I noted one thing...

"Note: This drop-in module was intended to operate at maximum brightness for short periods of time for tactical useage similar to the origional setup. Operating the unit for more than 15 minutes at a time may cause damage to the drop-in module."

Anyone have experience running this dropin for periods over 15 minutes? I don't like to have this limitation...

-tibim

All LED drop-ins will have heat issues. To get light you need power, with power there will be heat, and with alot of light there will be alot of heat. Gene drives his LEDS hard and they get warm after 15-20 minutes. IMO he addresses the heat issue the best. All the other LED drop-ins I own (I own 6, from $8 to $55) loose output as they get hot. Im a Cop who uses the drop-ins installed in both a 6P and a 9P. The cheaper the light the more dramatic the lose of output over time. As a comparison, Gene's drop-in weighs more than the cheaper ones too.

Second to Gene's LED was the Wolf-Eyes, which did get hot and lost output after about 15 minutes, but didnt damage the LED. The cheaper ones really lost alot of output, and one was destroyed after about 15 minutes. Ive run MALKOFF's drop-ins for about 20 minutes without a break, and they didnt lose output and no damage was apparent.

The surefire flashlights are tactical lights that were not designed to be turned on for an hour straight. Ive carried them for over 15 years and know all to well how the incan lamps drop in intensity over time. Gene's LEDs have brought new life to these lights. His drop-ins are brighter than both the P60 and 61 lamps.

I highly recommend MALKOFF's drop-in for high intensity output installed in a metal light (to transfer heat). If you dont need alot of light output, you could buy a much cheaper, less intense drop-in, but they also will have heat issues depending on the runtime.

Talas

Newly Enlightened
+1 for Gene here too! Recently had a problem with one of his drop-ins and he took care of it right away. He's a one-man show who cares about his product, his customers, and his reputation. I will buy from him again because he backs what he sells! :thumbsup:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast

-tibim

I ran mine in my 6P for about that long (sorry, never longer) and there were ZERO issues. Light got warm, but the light stayed perfect...and ludicrously bright!

Gene43

Enlightened

The fifteen minute rule applies mainly to plastic lights like the G2. In my prototype testing I have run them for an hour or more in metal lights like the 6P and 6Z.

Gene Malkoff

Ace12

Enlightened
I got my p60 drop-in in the mail today. Its a DX $12.50. I stuck it in my G2 and compared it to my P3D. I'm not sure about runtime or actual lumen output, but the DX drop-in definately out throws the P3D and has a brighter hotspot.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

The fifteen minute rule applies mainly to plastic lights like the G2. In my prototype testing I have run them for an hour or more in metal lights like the 6P and 6Z.

Gene Malkoff

Some people might not realize, but I'm thinking it's imperative that you hold the light in your hand when using it for this long of a run, since your hand acts like a heatsink for the metal light. I'll bet if you turned the light on and left it on a table alone, it would get too hot to touch and possibly damage the drop-in.

I have turned on lights with the P61 lamp assembly and have had this happen after only 5 minutes of it running alone. And the batteries can go into thermal shutdown. But it does not happen when held in hand.

Gene tell us your thoughts on this please.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
The above endorsements of Malkoff drop-ins are tempting me in that
direction but I don't have a host for them.

Which is the nicest quality host? Someone mentioned a SF M2.
Will they fit all SF M Series?

Excuse my ignorance but up until now, I've only been interested in the
E-series.

Gene43

Enlightened

All of my runtime testing with my dropins was done with the light laying by itself on the dining room table. It gets toasty warm but not roasting hot like an incan.

Gene