I dropped my Fenix

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L2D CE slipped out of my hand from about five feet and fell onto concrete head first and made a loud thud when it hit. I thought it was probably damaged pretty bad but it only suffered tiny nicks in the finish. I checked the circuit board inside the head and it looks as good as the day I recieved it. The finish of the L2D CE is slippery but it is tough also, and yes I know I should have had the lanyard on my wrist :) .

Cody,

==================================================
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12
Jesus Christ

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Cody,
Sorry to hear about the slip, but I'm happy to hear the L2D-CE survived with only minor nicks. The first thing I noticed when I got my light was how slippery it was.... so following advice I found here on CPF I went down to my local bicycle shop and asked them if they had any old tire inner tubes (which they did, and gave me for free). I cut a piece off and wrapped it around the center section and secured it with a couple of thick rubber bands.

It looks a bit funky, but the grip now is excellent. I suppose if you could find a small enough tire inner tube, possibly it would just slip over the light and fit tight enough to grip.

Of course a lanyard is a good bet too.... but all to often the one time you need it is the one time you didn't use it ha.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
... I went down to my local bicycle shop and asked them if they had any old tire inner tubes (which they did, and gave me for free). I cut a piece off and wrapped it around the center section and secured it with a couple of thick rubber bands.

It looks a bit funky, but the grip now is excellent. I suppose if you could find a small enough tire inner tube, possibly it would just slip over the light and fit tight enough to grip.

I bet you could find heat shrink tubing that'd fit, that could look quite nice.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Cody,
Sorry to hear about the slip, but I'm happy to hear the L2D-CE survived with only minor nicks. The first thing I noticed when I got my light was how slippery it was.... so following advice I found here on CPF I went down to my local bicycle shop and asked them if they had any old tire inner tubes (which they did, and gave me for free). I cut a piece off and wrapped it around the center section and secured it with a couple of thick rubber bands.

Of course a lanyard is a good bet too.... but all to often the one time you need it is the one time you didn't use it hah.

Hey Derek, that is a good idea, thanks. I have been riding bikes for most of my 35 years of life and have spare tubes.

Last edited:

BlackDecker

Enlightened
What about 'plasti-dip'? Take off the tail cap, wrap the threads in electrical tape, dip the L2D CE as far up as you like, let it dry, then remove the tape and replace the tail cap.

drew2001

Newly Enlightened
whoops, hate it when that haapens!

glad it still working !! I have a slippery P3D ce body in natural finish that i have trimmed out grip tape inserts to fit the flats, grip tape from skateboard decks. Sticks well onto the flats for really secure psuedo knurling effect. You can trim it with sissors into any shape to stick and fill in any number of the flats, two or three, and leave the printing brand visible for looks if you care.

You can also use the 3m brand rubber grip tape sold by the foot or inch? at hardware stores that also comes in black or grey color. Just pre-clean the flat with alcohol wipe first and dry it. Decide of course before if this will affect the carry method, as in it is then possible to snag it a little bit on the holster material. The rubber grip tape does'nt seem to bother snagging as much as silicates

tygger

Enlightened
I use 2-3 layers of narrow tire innertube on the mid-section of my fenix L2D and it works great.

Biggoggs

Newly Enlightened
How do you guys stop the L2D from rolling around? I use the pouch, so a Mag-esq rubber bezel probably wouldn't work.

gunga

Flashaholic
I'm like many people in that I use inner tube. I use the thinnest road bike inner tube I can find. The light still looks great, it doesn't roll (L1D or P3D) and the greip is much improved. It's a pain to get the skinny innner tube on, but worth it. I only use it on the hex secton in the middle. I've also done this on L2Ds. Improves grip, but the lihght can still roll.

Should be $5 or less at any bike shop that deals with road tires (most do).

Oh, and I'm really glad to hear the Fenix is tough enough to handle some drops n such!

BlackDecker

Enlightened
How do you guys stop the L2D from rolling around? I use the pouch, so a Mag-esq rubber bezel probably wouldn't work.

It doesn't roll around much if you have the lanyard attached.

I noticed the carry pouch on mine is VERY tight. I mean I have to force the light into the pouch to get it inside.

Jeff H

Newly Enlightened
What about 'plasti-dip'? Take off the tail cap, wrap the threads in electrical tape, dip the L2D CE as far up as you like, let it dry, then remove the tape and replace the tail cap.

Actually, this is available in spray cans now. I have a can but have not tried it yet. I hate the idea of adding to the girth of one of these slender lights but, in the case of the L2T, with it's "Wasp-waist," it may be helpful in that matter as well.

Jeff H

looman

Enlightened
My L2D CE slipped out of my hand from about five feet and fell onto concrete head first and made a loud thud when it hit. I thought it was probably damaged pretty bad but it only suffered tiny nicks in the finish. I checked the circuit board inside the head and it looks as good as the day I recieved it. The finish of the L2D CE is slippery but it is tough also, and yes I know I should have had the lanyard on my wrist :) .

Cody,

==================================================
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12
Jesus Christ

I visited my local key cutting centre. They sell little circular retractable line devices with a sprung steel clip so you can attach it to a belt or a loop in your jeans. I then got a mobile phone laynyard and introduced all three to each other that way I have not lostkit in the field, and have not dropped it. If I need to go moibile, it is easy to slip the clip from my belt and use or pass it to a buddy. it is really small and neat and cheap.

Buckeye

Enlightened
I tried some tape we bought for my son last year. It is 3M tape used to wrap around braces and splints. It sticks to itself, but not skin. It does not stick to the finish on my L2D CE either. I had to wrap it around itself a couple times then it stayed put. It makes the middle of the light as thick as the ends and is a nice cushoned grip.
Doug

Biggoggs

Newly Enlightened
It doesn't roll around much if you have the lanyard attached.

I noticed the carry pouch on mine is VERY tight. I mean I have to force the light into the pouch to get it inside.
I find cords hanging around a nuisance, I think I could use something similar though, perhaps a ring or knotted material.
I remember my pouch was rather tight when I first got it, but after use it fits rather snugly. The pouch itself has started showing minor signs of age already- a few threads at the top of the elastic have fallen off from pouching/unpouching the light.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the replies and advise. I put some Friction Tape on my torch and it works well. I got a 3/4x60' roll #8 for about $1.50.

Cody,

==============================================
The path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
Proverbs 4:18

Latest posts