Got my Novatacs Today!!!

Optic Nerve

Newly Enlightened
Today was like a dream. I live close to Lighthound, so I went there today and picked up 2 of Novatac's edc flashlights. The day started like this. I woke up from a rested sleep since I had to work late into the night. I called lighthound and asked John if I could come over and see his store. He said YES! I then proceeded to sweet talk my wife, so I could go to lighthound instead of going grocery shopping. She said YES! At this point, I realized that I do not know how to get there, so I call back to get directions. I get in my car and put the address in the GPS, and 30 minutes later I am in HOG Heaven! The only way I can describe how I felt is when I was a kid and I would walk into Toy's R Us. The store has flashlights and ascessories all over the place. He lets you try any flashlight you want, and there is even a dark room to do white wall hunting and ceiling bounce tests. I actually got to hold and test many of the flashlights that I only read about. The Pelican LED's are pretty nice lights. However, that was not the reason I went there today. I wanted the new Nova Tac EDC 120P. He told me the shipment just came in and I would be the first in Houston to get one of these lights. I was thrilled!! I walk into the testing room and there are three Novatac lights on a table to test at will. First, I tested the EDC 85T. It was awesome. The light was very bright and the tint was nice and white. I really like the protruding switch too. This light did not have that purple hue to it. The strobe was the best strobe I have seen on a flashlight to date. The flicker rate appears to be faster than the Gladius. I felt the strobe on this light had more effect on me than either the gladius or Fenix L2D-CE. I next tested the EDC 120P. I liked this light also, but it did not seem that much brighter to me than the EDC 85T. This light had a purplish hue to it. I like the fact that you can program this light. The recessed button is nice to have if you want to tailstand this light. I originally paid lighthound in a preorder for the EDC 120P. But, After playing around for a while, I changed my mind and bought the EDC 85P and EDC 85T. Today, I am really happy with my purchase. I visited my dream store and got to try a bunch of lights, and I met two really nice people, John and his wife, the owners of Lighthound.

Last edited:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the story. I have thought about visiting brightguy. I live about 40 minutes away and always wondered if they allow flashaholics in the store? Maybe I will just have to give them a call someday.

houtex

Enlightened
That's so cool.Iwas just there yesterday.Those guys and gals over there are all about customer service.I bought a couple of items.Josh is so cool and very helpful.I think he should change the name to light heaven.John has his personal collection on display there.The variety of lights is overwhelming.Unless I can't get it anywhere else,me and my money go to lighthound.
By the way,when I was there Josh was expecting UPS to deliver the novatacs around the same time.If i hung out a little longer I would have seen them.I'll go back next week and try them out.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on getting 2 Novatacs!! And you lucky dog you to be able to actually go and visit Lighthound!!

Optic Nerve

Newly Enlightened
Congrats on getting 2 Novatacs!! And you lucky dog you to be able to actually go and visit Lighthound!!

TKC,
I am a lucky dog. I love lights, and I got to visit my dream store. My mother once told me the first word out of my mouth when I was a child was "ight", but I think i was trying to say light.
By the way, I have an english bulldog and he is extremely faithful and devoted. I agree with your quote. It is pretty amazing how devoted dogs can be to their caretakers.
ON

The optic nerve is the second cranial nerve

AWGD8

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info Optic Nerve . I was thinking of getting the 120P but since it has little purple tint (is it like the Cree Q5 BIN?)
I`m turned off...

I wonder if the 80P is similar to the new REBEL 100 tint?

I really don`t like the bluish tint. It`s hard to see outside, just like when you use a bluish tint headlight. Not good for harsh weather visibility also. I prefer a yellowish or whitish tint headlight. I guess this observation applies to my flashlight tint selection also.

drew2001

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for sharing your stoke OpticNerve! That's the kind of romance story a true hobby collector loves to hear. I really enjoy it when i've had chances to go and view top collections, just not had a killer flashlight store/collection visit experience yet. I am very pleased to have ordered a 85p from John yesterday after I read of the arrival news. He responded early first thing this morning with my good news... going out in with the first batch on Monday... can't wait! :D

-drew

Last edited:

Optic Nerve

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info Optic Nerve . I was thinking of getting the 120P but since it has little purple tint (is it like the Cree Q5 BIN?)
I`m turned off...

I wonder if the 80P is similar to the new REBEL 100 tint?

I really don`t like the bluish tint. It`s hard to see outside, just like when you use a bluish tint headlight. Not good for harsh weather visibility also. I prefer a yellowish or whitish tint headlight. I guess this observation applies to my flashlight tint selection also.

I am not really sure if it like the cree Q5 bin. When I compared the edc 85p to the 120P, it just seemed the 120p had this purplish tint to the light that I did not like. I am wondering if it is like that, because it is driven harder. My decision on buying the 85p was based more on the fact that the 120p was not that much brighter than the 85p. Atleast when I did a ceiling bounce test, it seemed that way.

BBL

Enlightened
How does the P vs. T switch compare? Same switch, just protruding, or is it entirely different?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
the 120 might not be that much brighter then the 85 but you will get better run time at 85lm with the 120.

SaVaGe

Enlightened
optic nerve,

i sent u PM. im in Houston for business trip, and i emailed Lighthound to visit and they said its ok. If its ok, let me know if u wanna meet some where and maybe we can go together. do they still sell the HDS 85??

Optic Nerve

Newly Enlightened
How does the P vs. T switch compare? Same switch, just protruding, or is it entirely different?

That is correct one protrudes and the other doesn't. There is no difference in function. However, John at lighthound told me that Novatac will be making a EDC 85/120P version with a protruding switch in the future.
ON

Optic Nerve

Newly Enlightened
optic nerve,

i sent u PM. im in Houston for business trip, and i emailed Lighthound to visit and they said its ok. If its ok, let me know if u wanna meet some where and maybe we can go together. do they still sell the HDS 85??

I sent you a PM.

mraymer

Newly Enlightened
That is correct one protrudes and the other doesn't. There is no difference in function. However, John at lighthound told me that Novatac will be making a EDC 85/120P version with a protruding switch in the future.
ON

I contacted them about the different switches. I was told the tailcaps on the T & P models are interchangeable and at some point in the future you'll be able to purchase them from NT. So, if you want the 85/120T model, but prefer the recessed button or you want a 85/120P but prefer the protuding tailcap, you'll be able to purchase either switch.

The question that wasn't answered however was - when will they be available?