Ultrafire Lights Question

jaybiz32

Enlightened
Iwas looking at the hong kong based ultrafire lights and was wondering if anyone had any expeiance with them. Which lamp assembly's will work with them. Will the lumans factory high output bulb work with their 12v(4xcr123) cells and if so which model?
Thanks

mdocod

Flashaholic
many of us here have experienced ultrafire lights.

The general consensus is that they are a pretty good "value". For $10-20 you can get ultrafire/superfire brand lights, that support "surefire" style 26mm lamp assemblies.

Now... There's a few issues that crop up when dealing with them... The main thing is that there are so many variations of the ultrafires/superfires out there, that there isn't any way for me or anyone to guarantee what you are going to get when you order one...

what I mean by that more specifically is this:

1. Some ultrafire/superfire 2, 3, and 4 cell "tactical" lights, will fit 18mm cells, while most seem to only fit 17mm cells.
2. Some ultrafire/superfire 2, 3, and 4 cell "tactical lights, will fit LumensFactory lamp assemblies, some have a thicker metal up around the head and will not fit the larger girth of the LF assemblies.
3. Some ultrafires/superfires come with a plastic lens, while most seem to come with glass lenses.
4. Some ultrafires/superfires come with a switch that seems to work pretty well for a long time, some switches seem to fail quickly.

From my experience around here, there is no rhyme or reason behind any of these variations, I can NOT say "order a 501D because it will work with 'x' " because ordering a particular model number doesn't even really guarantee that it will be the same as the last person who ordered that model number.

I "own" 2 ultrafires. Bought one for my father-in-law to use, and one for me. I have an older 4 cell version, that I ran a P91 in on 2 17670s for a long time without much trouble.. recently I have been having contact and shorting problems with it. I've set it aside and plan to replace with something better. It served almost 2 years of daily use. Not bad for $20. The 3 cell version my father-in-law uses does fit the LF lamps and has a pair of 17500s driving an HO-9 in it. It has been running with minimal trouble for almost 2 years as well. My old 4 cell version did not fit LF lamps (well, I "fixed" that problem with a roto-zip).

If you are really looking for a budget light, but want to alleviate some of these issues... Spend a few more bucks and buy a Surefire compatible G&P branded light.