Looking for a Submersible Light

tomcat017

Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a submersible light. I don't really want (and can't afford) a real dive light--this would only be for swimming 10 or 20 feet down in a lake or pool. From what I read in the other water-light related-threads, the water resistance depends largely on the maintainance of the O-rings; I even read that some of the waterproof SF lights are no longer considered waterproof after the light is open to change the battery, or something along those lines (I'm sure I'm misquoting that a bit). I guess I'm just looking for something that I can swim with without having to worry about leakage and shorting out--to be confident that it wont hurt the light. Thanks everyone for any help you can offer. Sorry if this was covered already and I missed it in the search--thanks! -mike

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I don't know if it's bright enough, but the PT Attitude (less than $20) will handle the depths you're considering. In a pool it should work fine.

Geoff

DM51

Flashaholic
There are plenty of inexpensive dive-lights on the market. LukeA has mentioned Pelican; other good dive-light manufacturers are Underwater Kinetics and Princeton Tec. All have a good range of lights and prices. Look up some online dive stores and you will see what I mean.

I really wouldn't advise you to use a Surefire. Although they are waterproof, they are not dive lights and aren't designed for continuous underwater use. Besides, flooding a Surefire would be expensive.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might consider the Pelican SabreLite. (3C) http://pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=2000.

It is rated to 500'. Very bright with a tightly focused beam which is an advantage underwater due to the natural diffusion of the water.

I have used mine many times to inspect boat bottoms without problems.

Under $30. There is also a 2C version called Pocket Sabre.

Most, if not all Surefires, are not rated as submersible. They would probably be OK in 10-20', but why chance an expensive light when there are others made for the purpose.

Mark

Pher

Newly Enlightened
I would say a princeton tec 40. Cheap, bright, and waterproof to 100 meters. If you want to make one brighter just put in a 3cell mag bulb. Also you can order a older model from campmor for ten dollars.

Windscale

Enlightened
I started a similar thread some time ago and ended up getting a Gentos. It is waterproof with magnetic switch which is lockable and Luxeon 1 Watt LED. It is not expensive and worked very well with 4x Eneloop AAs. Very good runtime as well. Comes with a strap. The 1 Watt LED is smooth and bright enough for most purposes. I have used this light underwater (less than 10 feet) and have no complaint whatsoever.

http://www.chubu-plot.com/gentos/sd120/

(The site is in Japanese but I have done the translation above)

tomcat017

Enlightened
Wow, thanks for all the info guys--it was really helpful. I found a bunch of lights that I had never even noticed before. I'm leaning towards the PT lights, though the UK ones look pretty good too. Anyone know of any metal-bodied submersible lights out there? I guess it doesn't really matter, it's just what I'm used to. And as several people pointed out, I don't think I want to risk the $$ bringing a SF with me. Thanks again for all the help! :)