DIY Maglite c/d led quads @ 500+ lumens with Cree XRE and SSC P4 leds: lotsa pics

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally got this one done.
Now wouldn't it be nice to have a bright and white flashlight as bright as a 60 watt housebulb that runs good on regular unleaded batteries? :wow:

The technology is here at last to put one together thanks to Cree and Seoul Semiconductor. ;)

So let's get some tools out and have some fun.

Here we have a 2C and a big 6D.
SANY0002.jpg

You may use any Size maglite as long as the power source is around 7.5 - 9 volts as these flashlights will have.
For example, a 2D with 2 lithium ion batteries, or 6AA's in it will also work. ;)
Or a 6c with regular c cell batteries should also be just fine.
Both of these will have thier Led stars series parallel wired for this one.

You may also go for an all parallel setup using a 3C, or 3D light instead based on this pictorial modding adventure I did.

Here is a video showing the disassembly of the two lights.
Broadband internet connection is recommended, and the video will automatically play as soon as you click the link.
If it won't play, grab the newest version of flash player with a google search.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v313/3rd_shift/?action=view&current=SANY0003.MP4.flv
Here is another video showing disassembly of an older pre 2001 C cell Maglite.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v313/3rd_shift/?action=view&current=SANY0088.MP4.flv

Here are the bulb holder guts removed with a 5/64rths allen wrench.
SANY0005.jpg

Make the bulb assemblies look something like this.
SANY0011.jpg

The head needs to be secured so that it won't turn anymore and tear up the wiring inside. :oops: :mecry:
Drill an 1/8 hole about a quarter to a half inch in like this and put a metal plug in there that sits flush,
or slightly below the top of the hole once inside.
This will jam the threads and stop the head from turning anymore. ;)
SANY0081.jpg

A 2D was used to demonstrate this step, but this works with all C/D Maglites that I know of.
Here is another picture with the head removed again.
SANY0080.jpg

This next segment is for the D cell

For the D cell, install 4 inch long wires, 2 red (+) and one black (-).
The resistor in the picture is a 5 watt rated 1 ohm.
SANY0021.jpg

Re-install the wired switch assembly like this.
SANY0025.jpg

Here is a video showing how the resistor was secured.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v313/3rd_shift/?action=view&current=SANY0023.flv

Put in a D cell starsink (5mm thick) for so17 minireflectors, but use khatoid 17mm's instead with thier bottoms widened out for Cree XRE leds.

Khatoid reflectors bottoms can be widened out with a small, narrow knife, or one of the blades of a small pair of sharp scissors as I did.
Just make sure it is bullseye centered over the led after it's bottom is big enough to fit.
Try to keep fingerprints and any sharp objects clear of the insides of the reflectors.

Put thermal grease under the heatsink before putting it in.
Here is a video of that part of the assembly.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v313/3rd_shift/?action=view&current=SANY0026.flv

Q4 strength in this case at over 100 lumens at 350 milliamps.
File off thier sharpest edges until they all fit inside like this.
SANY0029.jpg

There is a choice here on whether to use thermal grease, or arctic alumina adhesive.
I used thermal grease under the Cree XRE stars in this case, and then wired them up just like so.
The (-) sides of the stars are nearest the wire inlet hole in the heatsink.
SANY0033.jpg

Load in some batteries with the tailcap off and try it out with a dc ampmeter and cross your fingers. :duck:
SANY0036.jpg

830 milliamps on some old batteries is quite nice and comfy as the leds are only seeing about 415 milliamps each.
With fresh batteries, this light tops out at 1.1 amps which is still not driving them too hard. More than 1.5 amps is hitting them kinda hard.
We're aiming for relliability and runtime for this one this time around. ;)

Now let's make a mess to hold those reflectors still with.
SANY0037.jpg

I used black silicone gasket maker for this.
One may use whatever desired to keep the reflectors planted and centered with.
Give that some time to cure.

Here is a picture of the completed business end.
A little of that black stuff did ooze in, but is still out of reach of the relatively narrow beam angle of the leds. ;)
SANY0038.jpg

Here it is embarrassing a 60 watt vanity bulb. :laughing:
SANY0043.jpg

Now to tackle the C cell

Find and cut some 5/8ths heater hose from the local auto parts store and cut it to 4.5-5 inches in length, then slit it down one side.
SANY0073.jpg

3 cr123 batteries, or 2 18500 lithium ion batteries and charger from member AW in the dealers corner at cpf marketplace will also do.

Now cut and reshape the tailspring about a quarter inch shorter so it won't squash the batteries quite so hard.
SANY0074.jpg

File, or lightly grind off the sharpest edges off of some SSC P4 led stars.
An adjustable heatsink from member download is used this time.
Mount and glue the stars with thier (-) closest to the center hole with arctic alumina.
Let that cure.
Then file, or shave off any overhanging edges from the stars so that the heatsink can drop right in.
SANY0046.jpg

We need to find out what height to adjust the heatsink to.
Put some heatsink grease into it's threads to improve thermal contact between the 2 pieces of the heatsink.
Here is a video of it being adjusted in another, but older pre-2001 2c Maglite.
Even I'm still a bit new to this. ;)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v313/3rd_shift/?action=view&current=SANY0089.MP4.flv

Loosely assemble everything like this and adjust the heatsink height until everything fits ok.
Be careful not to damage or destroy the fragile gelatin domes from doing this.
Some older obsolete luxeon1 stars can be used instead for this step if preferred.
SANY0049.jpg

Once that's done and everything fits good in the Maglite head, we need to stop the heatsink from turning any more.
I used blobs of silicone gasket maker for this and let it cure.
SANY0050.jpg

Now apply plenty of heatsink grease at the bottom of the Maglite head, it's threads and the sides inside for best possible thermal contact and conductivity from the heatsink's bottom and top pieces.
SANY0052.jpg

Perfect. There is heatsink grease there to catch and transfer heat from the top piece of the 2 piece adjustable heatsink assembly. ;)
SANY0053.jpg

Reinstall the wired switch assembly (see the D cell assembly for more on this) with your 5/64ths allen wrench and arctic alumina a 2 watt rated 1.5 ohm resistor just like so.
The two 4-5 inch long red (+) wires are coming from it.
It's other end is soldered to the center tab contact of the switch assembly.
SANY0055.jpg

Too much heatsink grease just isn't enough is it? :laughing:
SANY0056.jpg

Here is a blurry photo of the C cell's wiring. :huh2:
See the D cell assembly for a clearer picture of the same series parallel wiring, my bad. :oops:
SANY0060.jpg

Load in some batteries and try it out with a dc ampmeter.
This one pulls about 1.2 amps from 2 lithium ion 18500 batteries.
This is a healthy power draw for this light with these leds at 600 milliamps per led. :)
This light is close to 600 lumens and can still be left on for quite a while without getting too hot. :twothumbs

This next step is a good idea to keep those metal 17mm reflectors from sliding around and scraping off the soft gel domes from the SSC P4 leds. :green:
Regular 2 part epoxy was used in this case.

SANY0061.jpg

Apply it to the tops of the emitter flanges without it getting onto the domes themselves.
Then apply it to the bottoms of the reflectors and set them down on top of the led shoulders and "bullseye" center them as you do.
Let it cure hard 1st with the flashlight standing straight up.
Do not install the bezel yet.
If some excess runs down onto the stars, that is actually good.
We want that to happen in this case for a good adhesive grip to hold the reflectors still and centered when the bezel is put back on later. ;)
SANY0062.jpg

Beamshots! :naughty:

Here it is also embarrassing a 60 watt vanity bulb.
SANY0068.jpg

On the right is the 6D 4x Cree XRE at 9 volts x 1.1 amps.
Center is a 2c MiniMonsterQuad with 4 WWOT Luxeon5 leds at 7.5 volts x 3.5 amps.
Left is the 2c 4X USWOH SSC P4 led at 7.5 volts X 1.2 amps.
SANY0071.jpg

Same lights versus a Thor 15 million candlepower rated cordless gelcell spotlight. :p
SANY0072.jpg

Happy modding! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Maglite c/d led quad modding with Cree XRE and SSC P4 leds: lotsa pics

Thanks for the good pictorial...I've been wanting to make a 3 or 4 cell Seoul- with 2 18650 cells in a 3 c cell mag. I didn't understand what to do with the switch to make it work. Usually no one says where to get various parts..but all I guess I need is the heatsink from Download (?) and reflectors from (?). What are and where do the reflectors come from? Everything is easy once you do it, but it sure is confusing first time around.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Download has the reflectors too.
Otherwise member Photonfanatic in the cpf marketplace dealers corner has 17mm reflectors for the SSC P4's and they can also be used with the Cree XRE's once thier bottoms are widened out with a small knife, or even a good scissor blade works.
I'll update this thread with a few more pictures and tips as time goes on.
Yes, by all means, if there are any questions, let me know and I'll be happy to try to clarify things more.
I have some spare parts to take pictures of if I need to back track any in this DIY guide. ;)

Last edited:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks 3rd shift. Nice job (nearly as good as my own mag tutorial :poke:)

Joking aside, it was your first tutorials (Mag with a cree or K2) that gave me the idea to write my own.

I'm going to have to save up and make a tri or quad mag soon, there's just too many ways to make these, I can't decide what to do.
Cheers again.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fry's Electronics had it and the 2 watt unit as well.

The reason I arctic alumina glued the resistor to the aluminum flashlight body was because I lost a ballast resistor to overheating in my 1974 Dodge Dart.
When that $3 part fried, the car would not start until I installed another one. :sick:

Here is what a google search turned up on these resistors after I finally entered the right keywords. ;)
http://www.google.com/search?client...cial&channel=s&hl=en&q=NTE&btnG=Google+Search

Last edited:

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks 3rd shift. Nice job (nearly as good as my own mag tutorial :poke:)

Joking aside, it was your first tutorials (Mag with a cree or K2) that gave me the idea to write my own.

I'm going to have to save up and make a tri or quad mag soon, there's just too many ways to make these, I can't decide what to do.
Cheers again.
The triple led versions are more forgiving and easier to drop in.
Plus these can be driven in series with every led getting the same exact current with a simple badboy, or Fatman type of boost converter installed.
There is much more coming this weekend as I get time for more photos and another video, or two to make this look even easier and more fun.
I'll simply update the 1st post with the updates.

Cheers. :)

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
With this wonderful mod display, I'm starting to see the day when I might begin thinking about doing some LED mods. Still addicted to incands, but this post moved me down the field a lot. Thanks!

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fry's Electronics had it and the 2 watt unit as well.

The reason I arctic alumina glued the resistor to the aluminum flashlight body was because I lost a ballast resistor to overheating in my 1974 Dodge Dart.
When that $3 part fried, the car would not start until I installed another one. :sick:

Here is what a google search turned up on these resistors after I finally entered the right keywords. ;)
http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=NTE&btnG=Google+Search

Thx 3rd_shift,
when i look at the parts number,
you must have used the silicone
coated wirewound resistor then.
and also do you think 19mm fraen reflector would fit?
what about these resistor is it the same?
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Watt-Power-Re...oryZ4660QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:

FredM

Enlightened
Could you post a few places where I could aquire these items such as the drivers (that you mentioned but did not use) the reflectors, and heatsinks?

I think I can figure the rest out.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx 3rd_shift,
when i look at the parts number,
you must have used the silicone
coated wirewound resistor then.
and also do you think 19mm fraen reflector would fit?
what about these resistor is it the same?
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Watt-Power-Re...oryZ4660QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

These resistors in the link are .1 ohm instead of 1.0 ohm.

From FredM:
Could you post a few places where I could aquire these items such as the drivers (that you mentioned but did not use) the reflectors, and heatsinks?

I think I can figure the rest out.

Will do. ;)
I should have that mostly done this Saturday afternoon.
I'll be spending an hour, or two polishing up post #1.
Any questions, or suggestions will be welcomed before I sit down then and make it into an even better read. :)

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks 3rd_shift for the great tutorial,

I saw your MiniMonsterQuad at the DFW meet, and it sparked my LED interest. I never thought a LED could throw such a nice white blanket of light, I only own one LED for close-up things, a Coast LED Lenser V6

Once I gather some funds, I will have to build one of these using your tutorial, and hopefully have it in time for the 2007 DFW meet.

Great Job!

my-smokepole

Newly Enlightened
Need some Ideas tryed to remove the gut of my 4c mag as discribed. but had no luck on the remove part. Does the ellan sreew come out or just lossen up.
Thanks
My-smokepole

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The allen screw inside only needs to loosen up counterclockwise, and then the bulb assembly can easily drop right out the bottom of the light.

If your light is older and lacks the "C" in front of the serial number, it's an older pre-2001 unit who's assembly comes out the front.
There is a retainer ring in there on top that needs to be taken out before the bulb assembly can come out the front of the light.

Both lights featured in this are newer than 2001. ;)

Update:
The 2c actually pulls about 1.4 amps with 3 disposable, primary cr123 batteries.

Last edited:

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonderful pictorial! :twothumbs
Here is the picture from head side, see the different from old & new C size.
OldnewC.jpg

my-smokepole

Newly Enlightened
Iguess that is a good reason for it not to come out thanks I do have the pre 2001 Thanks
my-smokepole

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bumped back to the top for an important update.
The 6D is back in my hands for repair after it's owner handed it to someone else and came back teary eyed to him and said; "I broke your flashlight!" :(
After I looked at it, I found the head was turned and it had torn up the wiring inside.
Now the light does not function.

So, I added this to post #1
The head needs to be secured so that it won't turn anymore and tear up the wiring inside. :oops: :mecry:
Drill an 1/8 hole about a quarter to a half inch in like this and put a metal plug in there that sits flush,
or slightly below the top of the hole once inside.
This will jam the threads and stop the head from turning anymore. ;)
SANY0081.jpg

A 2D was used to demonstrate this step, but this works with all C/D Maglites that I know of.
Here is another picture with the head removed again. :p
SANY0080.jpg

Now I'm off to fix the 6D and do the same step to it.

Edit: done ;)

This all just came right out without a fight.
SANY0086.jpg

Here's the inside of the light.
SANY0088.jpg

Made an 1/8 inch diameter plug out of a nail.
SANY0089.jpg

Here it is installed after drilling a hole for it.
SANY0090.jpg

Fixed it. ;)
IT'S ALIVE AGAIN!!!! :wow:
Here it is versus 3 60 watt equivalent 13 watt cfls.
3 mediocre fixtures versus one good handheld light evened things up a bit. :p
SANY0091.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts