KL3 on an older 6P or 9Z?

garyoNC

Newly Enlightened
Anyone put a KL3 on either of these lights? Do you like how they work? Tell me as much about it as you can. Thanks.

Deviant

Enlightened
I have tried my KL-3 on the original 6P and it doesn't work.
as for the 9Z i have no idea.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my KL3s lives on an older 6P. I added an A19 to help it balance a little better (seemed a little nose heavy without it). Seems to work fine and lives on the windowledge over my bed for emergencies.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
How "original" is your original 6P?

I have round bezel, round barrel 3P's, 6Ps', and 9P's. My KL3 works with each (although the 3P needs at least one A19 to get the voltage up.)

Performance is regulated to be the same to my eyes (at least until battery drops below the Vf of the Luxeon) powered by anywhere between 3.7 V and 9.0 V including the following combinations:
1 @ 3.7 V lithium
3 @ 1.25 V NiMH A cells or 1.5 V Alkaline AA's
1 @ CR123 + 1 @ AA or A cell
1 @ 3.7 V lithium + AA or A cell
4 @ 1.25 V NiMh A or 4/5 A cells
2 @ CR123's
1 @ 3.7 V lithium = 1 @ CR123
2 @ 3.7 V lithium
2 @ CR123's + 1 AA or A cell
1 @ CR123 plus 4 @ AA or A
5 @ AA or A's
2 @ 3.7 V lithium + 1 @ AA or A,
2 @ CR123's + 2 @ AA or A cell
3 @ CR123.
6 @ AA or A's
7 @ 1.25 V NiMH A's or AA's (these would probably blow a P90, but not the KL3.)

I frivously decided to see how many working combinations I could put together in this voltage range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Some of these combinations required an interesting combination of 6P or 9P body plus A14s and/or A19's. I have 6 @ A19's and 2 @ A14's. With these parts you can get to the 7 AA length with a 9P + 5 A19's plus an A14. To get even longer I next substituted 5 @ 4/3 A cells for A's to add the sixth A19 and second A14. This made the overall battery length = 8 AA cells plus 1 123 = 17.4 " . If I had another A19 I could have used 7 @ 4/3 A cells for total battery length of 18.7" which is equivalent to 9 1/2 A cells /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The KL3 works very well and very flexibly. BTW, for Roy's and Klaus' benefit, I haven't performed, and don't intend to perform, a run time test with 5 @ 3800 mAh 4/3 A cells plus 3 @ 2700 mAh A cells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Deviant

Enlightened
urh...... my 'original' 6P has the round bezel and round barrel, and it's anodized inside out, even the threads and has 2 strips of bare aluminium for contact, one for the bulb and the other for the tailcap.

garyoNC

Newly Enlightened
Deviant

It should work. I went to the LEDmuseum and Craig had a good report on both the KL1/KL3. Thanks all for the replies.

lemlux

It is around 5 years old. Thanks for the time in compiling your data, very interesting. Looks like you spent some real time experimenting. I don't mess around with those extensions. I just use my 6P & 9Z the way there are. I just want another option when I go camping. Thanks again.

Azreal911

Enlightened
i've no real comment on the kl3 on the 6p but wanna shout out that i got my KL3 for my G2 and it's totally awesome! got it in black with my black g2. slick! The head is heavy so you know it's there and the pyrex lens is like very thick when you tap on it all you hear is a solid thud. I love the long runtime 4 hr constant brightness. This is definitely my camping light for the summer! So happy! Oh yeah and the light gives a pretty white light with a slight tinge of violet around the corona so it's not bad, seems about the same brightness as my LGI by just eyeing it on a white wall. Also the springs on it seems to be fixed cause it works right away once i screwed the head on.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used it on 6P, 9P, and 6Z without problem.
The anodized innards of the original 6P should be the only difficulty.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
aren't the contact springs the same as those on a P60/P90 lamp assembly? don't see why there would be a problem with the older 6Ps...

StarLite

Newly Enlightened
I have an old 6Z (?...2cells) and a 6P. KL3 works with the 6D but not with the 6Z.

Gandalf

Enlightened
I have a KL3 on an older (all round body, bezel) SF 9P with a Z41 clicky. I bought the KL3 for my older 6P, but I found it too big and front heavy for a 6P, IMHO.

The 9P with the Z41 on it makes for a nice sized light for home use. It's my most used bedside light, in fact; and there's usually around a dozen lights there.