The Most Ideal Flashlight!

nightstalker101

Enlightened
I just got back from a high adventure BSA trip. We went on a 50+ mile canoe trip down the White River in Canada. There were over 20 portages so I convinced myself only to bring ONE flashlight. I ended up bring my L2D-CE with two lithium AA's. I can't think of any other light that would have better suited my needs. I had a low mode that would run for 80+ hours and a very bright mode that could shine around the campsite at night. This came in very handy one morning when we broke camp 2 hours befor sunrise. Everyone else was running around with their ican Minimags and swaping batteries every other night. Does anyone else have any ideas on a more Ideal Flashlight for this purpose?

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
A headlamp is probably the most ideal camp light I have found, it allows you to use both hands and have light where you need it.

nightstalker101

Enlightened
A headlamp is probably the most ideal camp light I have found, it allows you to use both hands and have light where you need it.

I actually had along a headband that hold a minimag and my L2D fits in it great. However I don't actually have any headlamps, I've never seen the need plus I don't know of one that can stand up to the L2D-CE in brightness and runtime.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
I'd rely on a headlamp for my primary light and a hand-held for backup with extra batteries for both.

By the way, there is no "ideal flashlight." What's ideal for some won't be for someone else.

nightstalker101

Enlightened
I'd rely on a headlamp for my primary light and a hand-held for backup with extra batteries for both.

By the way, there is no "ideal flashlight." What's ideal for some won't be for someone else.

But now your talking two flashlights. On this trip we were trying to minimize weight considering we ended up carrying all of our stuff over 7 miles. I was refering to ideal for a trip similar to mine.

ginaz

Enlightened
i'd say you did quite well for yourself. how did you find the low? some have mentioned it being actually too bright for a low mode. of course an HDS or a novatac would have served you quite well also. my seouled HDS is the light i would reach for in that situation

PayBack

Enlightened
You get 80 hours from it on low? They only advertise it as 55 hours. I'm curious as I'm considering getting one despite the ugly body.

For me, and what I've got now, I'd have taken my P1D CE and a spare battery.. or 5. weight be damned.

Though to be honest I've have taken 2, maybe my Bushnell with the P1D as backup... I just couldn't go with only one.. I mean I might have lost it or somthing and then it would be NO! Not like this! Not like this! NOT IN THE DARK!

Excuse me I think it's time for my medication...

Supernam

Enlightened
Great choice of light. I would have gone for the P3D personally for the reason that it packs 6 volts in a shorter body. As with all fenixes, the low setting is most appreciated in those "single light" situations where you are seeking long runtimes.

Burgess

Flashaholic
the OP's statement of "80 hours on LOW"

is obviously due to the Energizer L91 Lithium cells he's using.

According to Chevrofreak's fantastic runtime graphs,

Low mode lasts 55 hours on Duracell 2650 NiMH's,

and also with Alkalines.

Sounds like the Fenix L2D-CE performed fine on the canoe trip.

Glad to hear all went well. :thumbsup:

PS: did you field-test its "dunkability" ? :whistle:

-

nightstalker101

Enlightened
i'd say you did quite well for yourself. how did you find the low? some have mentioned it being actually too bright for a low mode. of course an HDS or a novatac would have served you quite well also. my seouled HDS is the light i would reach for in that situation

I thought the low worked great, it was still plenty of light to find your way around however there were a couple of times that I turned it on in the tent after my eyes were adjusted to the dark and it appeared very bright. But you cant argue with the benifit of the 80+ hours of runtime on low (this was with the lithiums)

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A headlamp is too bulky to stuff in your pocket unless you plan on wearing it everywhere you go...(to go eat, walk around places you don't need a flashlight, etc.)

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot think of a better light myself. My LP M3 is not that versatile. I will have to pick up one of the fenix lights. Also...Lithium AA's are the coolest batteries out there..They run cree flashlights, but unlike 123a's... they also run cell phone rechargers, gps units, digital cameras and swiffer wet jets. Not sure why wou would need a swiffer wet jet mop on a hiking trip... but your AA lithium flashlight battery would power it...how cool is that!

carrot

Flashaholic
The Arc PD (or as Gransee calls it, the "new Arc LS") looks like it could be "the most ideal flashlight" if it does all it's claimed to be.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd use a L2D-CE around home, but if I was only taking one flashlight up the creek, I might break down and buy a surefire or the new novatac type of thing. Something over-engineered for reliability. I think adding a headlamp would be better all around for functionality. They have some nice combination ones now.