Bounce Test Pictures! Lots!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought some of you might enjoy looking through this. I took 6 pieces of white foam core board and made a box. The final piece had a hole cut in it for the camera to shoot through, and also a gap on the right side for my light disc holder to reach in through, which worked as a great way to hold the various flashlights.

The exposure is the same on all of the shots, 1/20s, f2.8, ISO 100, WB set to daylight for the LEDs, incan for the incans. I found this exposure worked best since most of the lights I'm testing are in the 9-200 lumen range. I'm shooting with a Sony P-200.

You can view the gallery here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/wadefulpng/FlashlightBounceTest

If you look at the top right, just above the thumbnails, you can click little "Size:" buttons. If you click the largest one it makes it easier to see as well as see more of my captions. I plan to add some more test shots at some point. I figure it's a fun way to compare LED tints, light output, etc. Wish I had more lights to test, maybe in time. :)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
That rebel tint is very nice!

Yeah, it's the best I've seen yet. I'm curious to know how much the Rebels vary. Did I get lucky, or are they all about the same? From the few people I've seen talk about their Rebel tint, they seem to have the same tint I do.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
These bounce shot tests are great! Well done Wade.

Can you comment as to whether the results in the photographs match those you see by eye?

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you comment as to whether the results in the photographs match those you see by eye?

The pictures look darker than things looked to the eye. It's tough, because if I adjust the exposure for the lights on the lower levels to look like they really do, then the high modes would over expose like the UltraFire WF-500 did. :)

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pictures look darker than things looked to the eye. It's tough, because if I adjust the exposure for the lights on the lower levels to look like they really do, then the high modes would over expose like the UltraFire WF-500 did. :)

Ah, I see. I was expecting that considering how "poorly" it looks as though some of those lights performed, when they are excellent in real life.

Thank you once again :popcorn:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Nicely done, Wade. :)

Any future Bounce tests to look forward to?

Last edited:

EssLight

Newly Enlightened
That's a good idea, and a good job, thanks for the pictures.

In the future, you might choose an object with more varied colors than Mr. Utley, to better see any tinting effect of a light.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the future, you might choose an object with more varied colors than Mr. Utley, to better see any tinting effect of a light.

Yeah, I could have stuck more in there. Something with some greens, blues, etc. LED's tend to be weak in the orange/red areas. The Chase Utley (which just happend to be nearby so I grabbed it, and it was a free gift, I didn't pay for the thing) has red, white, flesh colors on teh face, sandy/brown/tan color on the base, etc.

Anyway, I just took some more bounce shots and added them. A couple of my big 12v spotlights, and my 3D mags with Terralux 6EXB LED drop-ins.

Last edited: