Beam shots of my duty lights

usnavydoc

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post. I had some time on my hands and decided to take a few pics of my duty lights - an Inova T-4 2005, Inova T-4 2007, Pelican M10, and AE Light Xenide 25W HID. I received the Pelican 7060 today and haven't had the time to play with it, but once I do, I plan to do a comprehensive comparo between it and the Inova T-4 (they are both catered to the same crowd, and us Li-Ion batteries). I have used the T-4 while in the military, and it has proven to be an awesome and reliable performer. I have used it to blind an opponent and gain the upper hand. The Pelican M10 -figured that I should include it so that you can compare the differences with LED, incandescent, and HID beams. I got the AE Light Xenide 25W recently from Pacific Tactical Solutions, and use it when I need a lot of illumination. With 1500 lumens, I feel well equipped for any situation that requires light.

Here is a quick peek on my tools of choice:

quickshot.jpg

Here is the indoor room I used to test the lights:

dark.jpg

Here is a shot of the Pelican M10's xenon bulb:

pelicanm10.jpg

Inova T-4 2005/2006:

inovat42006.jpg

Inova T-4 2007 (non-tiros):

inovat42007.jpg

AE Light Xenide 25W HID searchlight:

xenide25w.jpg

Needless to say the Xenide is the best performer (and the most expensive). :wave: I will post some outdoor beam shots along with the Pelican 7060 LAPD when I get the chance.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy usnavydoc, and welcome to CPF,
I've been seeing some fine reviews for the Pelican 7060, I'll be interested to see what you think of it. Hey, nice beam shots (we REALLY like beamshots here, especially when compared to other lights!).

Things are moving quickly in the world of flashlight technology, so..... jump on board and enjoy the ride!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF usnavydoc, Great first post and thanks for the beamshots.

Nice collection you've got there.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

An excellent first post. Only seen one other great first post like that.

Must admit, I'm a bit surprised that the new model T-4 seems to give off less useable side-spill than the older model. (I have an older T-4 so no worries for me). :D

Still, it looks like the TIROS version is better than the one with the reflector.... especially if a suspect were hiding behind the door on the left. Another CPFer compared his new and old model Inova T1s. The new model, with the reflector, had much more side-spill. Then again, could have something to do with the use of two cells in the new model.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!

An excellent first post. Only seen one other great first post like that.

Must admit, I'm a bit surprised that the new model T-4 seems to give off less useable side-spill than the older model. (I have an older T-4 so no worries for me). :D

Still, it looks like the TIROS version is better than the one with the reflector.... especially if a suspect were hiding behind the door on the left. Another CPFer compared his new and old model Inova T1s. The new model, with the reflector, had much more side-spill. Then again, could have something to do with the use of two cells in the new model.

I don't mean to be arguementative but i must disagree, the pics of the old T4 have the spill not reaching the walls on the side of the room, whereas the new T4 easily reaches the walls. In this environment i would say the new T4 definately has a more useable spill, it will be interesting to see some outdoor shots over a little more distance.

Great post and pics there Usnavydoc looking forward to some more pics from your collection

usnavydoc

Newly Enlightened
I had a defective AE Xenide light, and had to send it back to Pacific Tactical to have it exchanged. Once I get it back, I will do a better review with more pictures using the lights mentioned and add the new Pelican 7060 to the mix. :twothumbs

I plan on some outdoor shots and tight quarters shots to evaluate the spot part of the beam. In police work, the spot is just as important as the spill beam.

Thanks for all the comments!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I don't mean to be arguementative but i must disagree, the pics of the old T4 have the spill not reaching the walls on the side of the room, whereas the new T4 easily reaches the walls. In this environment i would say the new T4 definately has a more useable spill, it will be interesting to see some outdoor shots over a little more distance.

Great post and pics there Usnavydoc looking forward to some more pics from your collection

Ah, you are correct! I initially made the mistake of thinking the caption for each pic was below the pic.... instead of above it. :oops:

Oh well, still like my old T4 with the TIROS.... Good thing I recently purchased a new model T3 with a reflector. :D

supes

Enlightened
Cool beamshots and welcome mate! I really like the old vs new Inova T4 comparison. Can't wait for them to put a Cree of Seoul LED in it. Then I would really get one.

I'm wondering about the AE Xenide light, how long does it take to get to full brightness?

usnavydoc

Newly Enlightened
Cool beamshots and welcome mate! I really like the old vs new Inova T4 comparison. Can't wait for them to put a Cree of Seoul LED in it. Then I would really get one.

I'm wondering about the AE Xenide light, how long does it take to get to full brightness?

I don't have the light with me, but from what I recall it usually takes about 10-15 seconds to be at full