I need an extra red dome light for my truck

Kraeken

Newly Enlightened
I would like to find some type of flat, "touch light" type of red LED that I can stick to the top of the inside of my truck. I have been doing a lot of nighttime photography lately, and I think it would be great to have an auxiliary dome light that wouldn't ruin my night vision while changing lenses, etc.

The closest thing I could find is the "Dot It" light. I saw a site that had red LED's, but I can't find it now.

Any ideas?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheap and quick fix is to use red brake light repair tape from an auto parts store so you can use any light you want. Don't get the cheap stuff or it will look like a pink light and not red. Using more than one layer can easily dim the light to a better level to help keep the night vision going.

Bogie

Enlightened
Ted I have some larger domes used in the sector cars that switch between Red & White all they are is a Red Sleeve over 2 of the bulbs. I have found more of them in truck stops.

The newer ones use Red Led's I can ask my buddy that works at central to get me one of the newer ones do you know what type of bulbs you truck uses ?

Kraeken

Newly Enlightened
Hey Rick, I think I am going to go with the red tape option for now. I don't even know how to get to the bulbs on my new truck! I also have an LED tail light from a bike that may do the trick as well. I'l let you know what type of bulb it is as soon as I can.

Thanks!

Kraeken

Newly Enlightened
I saw those lights as well, but not sure about their quality.

What I actually did was figure out how to access the map lights, and replaced the driver's side with a red bulb. It works great! I can change lenses without ruining my night vision, and I can also look at maps and directions at night without being blind to the road! And the passenger side is still plenty bright and white for the whole front.