Best performing tiny torch

jameswalker

Newly Enlightened
Afternoon all, first post here so bear with me!

Firstly is this in the correct place? I am after a tiny torch with an amazing output - Non standard torch though, so should this possibly be in the modified section?

Anyway, I had a look at this link that milky posted about his arsenal of tiny torches:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/167368

This is the size of torch that i require but like everything in my world, it must be modified, like these!

My first question is that for a torch of this size (remember, can be any possible mod/hybrid torch) will an LED or varient, or bulb produce the highest output of light? I need a decent throw so i can use it outside at night, but not to the extent where i will be unable to inspect the underneath of my car!

Secondly, can you get me staretd and recommend a few torch setups for me to take a look at? There are obviously so many (just look at milkys) and there is no clear way of me looking into which mod would be good - a point in the right direction would be great. e.g. should i go for a cree opposed to something else? Battery life is unimportant but obviously to power a bright tiny torch, a nice battery will be required - 123A?

Thanks,

James

PayBack

Enlightened
It's not modified but I'm a recent convert to the Fenix P1D CE. Very bright for its size.. or not, if you don't want it to be.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi jameswalker, welcome to CPF. :)

I agree with PayBack, Fenix P1D CE is an excellent starting point if you want a really powerful and compact flashlight. Get one, use it for a while and then you'll be ready for more exciting adventures.... :cool:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a Milky Mod for sale in B/S/T : https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/171474 There is an SSC led in there, Nice leef body and TC. Runs on 18650 cells for max runtime.

Another is from the stables of McGizmo. These by far is not cheap but....need to own one to understand why it so good......some do crop up in B/S/T or marketplace and sometimes there is a small wave being sold at McGizmo's own section.

BTW welcome to CPF

smcharchan

Newly Enlightened
For the ultimate in "tiny" torches, I would recommend Modamag's Draco or Drake. I have a Draco and it produces a ridiculous amount of light for such a small torch. It can easily be out-thrown by torches with larger reflectors, but it has a great beam for general use. I carry it as a backup to a HDS modded with a SEOUL by Milkyspit (HDS SEOULmation). The runtime of the Draco isn't all that impressive, but carrying spare batteries is really easy because they are ~ 1/2 AAA size. Further, the emitter is very easy to access, so you can upgrade it as more efficient versions are released.

-Shawn

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forums James, and yes you and your post are in the right place!

Looks like you are about to be bitten by the single 123 cell bug. Probably best if you can be a bit more specific about your requirements as there are so many, production, modded and custom models out there.

What runtimes are you happy with?
What interface do you want, clickie, twisty, multi function?
Are you happy with rechargeables or "exotic" cell types - there are quite a few lights much smaller than those in Milky's impressive fleet if you go woth smaller cells - Checkout the Draco or Orb NS RAW or NS Wee.

Draco
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/166864

NS RAW
http://www.lummi.co.uk/sor.php

NS Wee
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=167915

What beam do you want? Floody or tight?

My favourate single cell 123s would be - in order of increasing wallet shrinkage are:
Fenix P2D CE
Surefire L1 or E1L
Seoulmated HDS EDC
McGizmo TiPD-S

Hodsta

Last edited:

barkingmad

Enlightened
Liteflux LF2 or Fenix L0D-CE (with 10440 li-ion cells but can also take standard AAA's) - about $45 plus about $10-15 for the cells / charger (if you want to go Li-ion).

'Wee' (by Orb / Lummi) is tiny and 25, 50 or 80 lumen options - a lot of light for something smaller than a CR123A cell and weighs 20g (Ti version out soon will be even lighter) - about $70 (with 1 cell - about another $15-20 for a spare cell and Nano 10440 charger).

Orb 'Raw' is available as 15/120 lumen (dual output) - still small and takes RCR2 cells for better runtime - about $80 for the Aluminium version (comes with 1 cell and Nano charger).

Fenix L1D-CE (AA cells) or P2D-CE (CR123A) cells are a bit larger but have multiple modes and take larger cells for better runtime.

Last edited:

Rob187

Enlightened
Not sure if it fits your definition of 'tiny' but the new Novatac EDC range are out. I think they are going to set a new benchmark.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
James welcome to CPF.most tiny lights have been mentioned here.but alot depends on what run times and lumen's out you are hoping for and battery availability.good luck with your search.

jameswalker

Newly Enlightened
wow, nice response time! Thanks for the warm welcome

Battery life is completely irrelevant - the more exotic the better!
beam - would prefer a tighter beam than a wider one, but no laser!

So from all the responses - its looking like an LED based torch rather than a bulb. OK

I do like milky's torches, might be tempted to pm him (again) i guess he doesnt come here much :p

Is it possible to see over 100 lumens from such a tiny package?

The usage is non essential - roadside inspection of car/bike at night, getting from A to B in the dark, but more importantly to wave around something which looks good - hence the lack of battery life required

Does this new info change the views on what to get?

I have a long research step ahead of me now, so many to look at!!

One other thing, a standard torch will not do - must be modified (i NEED 100 lumens minimum :p)

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

So from all the responses - its looking like an LED based torch rather than a bulb. OK

I do like milky's torches, might be tempted to pm him (again) i guess he doesnt come here much :p

The usage is non essential - roadside inspection of car/bike at night, getting from A to B in the dark, but more importantly to wave around something which looks good - hence the lack of battery life required

One other thing, a standard torch will not do - must be modified (i NEED 100 lumens minimum :p)
james click on the link in post 6 orb raw.that puts out 120 lumens.i had the raw ns and it was very bright for its size.my pals thought it was awesome.check it out.

jameswalker

Newly Enlightened
wow that is a nice little piece of kit, still must do some looking before i buy though :)

is the orb raw ns the brightest tiny torch possible? I want the brightest light for a small package

is the 123 the best battery to use for its size? Id rather a higher output than a longer life

Does the orb out perform all of milky's? not a competition, just a comparison so that i can get the brightest!

Will consider anything up to single AA in size really

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, I think the form and look of the Surefire L1 is hard to beat. And, with a momentary clicky and 2 stage operation you've got the makings for an excellent pocket light. For the finishing touches.... extreme brightness... and your pick of beam patterns .... Milkyspit offers the rest of the package:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2068490&postcount=183

I'm saving for one now. :)

GregWormald

Enlightened
Try the fenix-shop for a P2D with high end Cree or the new Rebel options. I recommend the lightly orange-peeled reflector for a better beam at the expense of a bit of throw.
Greg

jameswalker

Newly Enlightened
after spending many hours last night looking at all those mentioned here and more, I am leaning toward a drake / Draco however i also stumbled upon the aleph series, very nice little lights however they seem a little hard to obtain?

Still not ruling out the orb though :)

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Draco and Orb RAW series are, to me at least, very different lights to the Aleph series and the rest in Milky's impressive fleet. You could fit the Orb Raw/Draco inside the battery compartment of most of the lights in Milky's picture. For this reason they make great backup and keychain lights (and for showing of with!), but they wouldn't be my first choice in a primary light intended for frequent long use.

However as your intended use is likely only to be for limited time and for showing off with :nana: - I would go with the Orb RAW Ti or Ag with 3 tritium locators. Titanium or Sterling silver bodied torches have got to be a winner in the look at me stakes. Will run @ 120 lumens for 25 mins and at @ 15lumens for hours if you really do need it.

There are quite a few Alephs in various guises on B/S/T at the moment or you can go direct to the Sandwich Shoppe;

http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php?cPath=43_93

I'd spend some time researcing all the lights reccomended in the previous posts as I haven't seen one that someone has put forward that I wouldn't be happy using.

As just a little more food for thought, check these out;
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/171553

Last edited:

barkingmad

Enlightened

Well the Orb Raw (Aluminium, NS or Ti) I think can all do 120 lumens (and look fantastic) - the Wee is available up to 80 lumens - so not far short and has got to be about the most light for it's size... :)