Diving torch

Flyowynd

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody

I'm new here and I want to expose you my actual project.

I'm planning to build a video diving lamp, I won't mess you with building the case but if one day I finish it you will get the pits.

I want to choose LED light, it's the simplest way to have a good light output power and with the water around heat will not be a big problem (I hope).
But now how to chose which kind of LED, because I will use it underwater, I prefer have a warmer white (because water stop red first), but I also want lot of lumen.

In fact, normal underwater video lighting when using halogen bulb is around 100 W. I will have a power supply based on Li-po battery (14.4-6600mAh) and switching device in boost mode drived in intensity. So output voltage is not a problem, I could wire multiple LED.

In first I've think about new rebel, but it seem that's no optics are easily available for rebel. So I turned back to Cree Q5 (a mix of warm and not warm led).

But now i'm completly lost.

Do you have advice to help me in my choice?

I need a good output power and a good IIRC.
But I also need to find good lenses.

Thanks a lot if you could help.

Ps: sorry for my awfull english.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You could buy a Barbrolight, I'm not sure if it will be bright enough but they are built as dive lights.

I can't offer any advice on building the light.

Timson

Enlightened
It's gonna be expensive - but I'm thinking along the lines of 16 warm white Q5 Crees with McR19XR reflectors.
* (Note - Even the warm white emitters will make an Incandescant lamp look very yellow)

You could split them up into two separate light pods rather than clump them all together in one.

You could run in parallel, 4 strings of 4 series connected emitters (Depending on the Vf of your emitters you'd be at around the right voltage for a direct drive from your 14.4V pack)

Would give serious light output - Equivalent to having a pair of car headlights strapped to your camera.:D

Would love to see this done :devil:

Good Luck,

Tim