Problem w/ Surefire L4

jhereg

Enlightened
Well, it's effectively an L4. I've got a L4 body & switch w/ a KL4 head on it. I lost it several years ago. I got it back today, but it's having switch issues. It will turn on if I rotate the switch to on, but the momentary is sporadic at best. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it comes on, but is really dim. I thought it was the batteries, but replacing them hasn't made much difference. (I used new Surefire batteries.) I've cleaned up the light, polished the threads a bit on the body to find the source of the problem to no avail.

Any suggestions?

(The light was lost in a couch, so it's not all grimy & corroded.)

edited to add: How I press the switch seems to make a big difference, but it's not consistent. Sometimes a straight push works. Sometimes it's pushing a bit to the side of the rubber button. Sometimes nothing seems to work.

Last edited:

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
Well, it's effectively an L4. I've got a L4 body & switch w/ a KL4 head on it. I lost it several years ago. I got it back today, but it's having switch issues. It will turn on if I rotate the switch to on, but the momentary is sporadic at best. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it comes on, but is really dim. I thought it was the batteries, but replacing them hasn't made much difference. (I used new Surefire batteries.) I've cleaned up the light, polished the threads a bit on the body to find the source of the problem to no avail.

Any suggestions?

(The light was lost in a couch, so it's not all grimy & corroded.)

edited to add: How I press the switch seems to make a big difference, but it's not consistent. Sometimes a straight push works. Sometimes it's pushing a bit to the side of the rubber button. Sometimes nothing seems to work.
You've probably tried cleaning the contacts on the light (I'm not sure if the L4 is like the E1/E2L series where when you take the head off it exposes the battery or has contacts. But i would try cleaning contacts like i said on the Tailcap spring, and on the bottom of the head, and if that doesn't work maybe an extra tailcap if you have one. (That might be going a bit far) I dont think its the head as it sounds like the head is working fine, It sounds like its more of a contacts / electrical issue. Probably felt good to find your L4 though :grin2:

jhereg

Enlightened
You've probably tried cleaning the contacts on the light (I'm not sure if the L4 is like the E1/E2L series where when you take the head off it exposes the battery or has contacts. But i would try cleaning contacts like i said on the Tailcap spring, and on the bottom of the head, and if that doesn't work maybe an extra tailcap if you have one. (That might be going a bit far) I dont think its the head as it sounds like the head is working fine, It sounds like its more of a contacts / electrical issue. Probably felt good to find your L4 though :grin2:

I'm reasonably certain it's the tailcap. It comes on fine when I short the battery to the case w/ the tailcap off, and it works when I screw the tailcap down for constant on. It's the momentary that seems to have a problem. I have since tried it w/ the tailcap from my E2E. It works w/ that tailcap. I think I've narrowed it down to the tailcap. :-( I talked to Surefire tech support. They are sending me a new tailcap, a new clip for my E2E, and a lens for my Z3 (which melts w/ a P91 LA for some reason. ;-) )

Gimmy

Newly Enlightened
I don't know if this is an option for you or not. If all self help remedy failed send it back.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given how frequent reports of bad E-series clickies seem to be, you'd think they'd either redesign 'em or switch back to LOTCs?

when they first replaced all the Z52s with Z57s I balked at the idea but all the ohter people told me all the wonderful advantages to the clickies, that no one has had issues with the clickies and that down the road the clickies are just as reliable as twisties.:ironic:

right.

SF, bring back the Z52 please.

Last edited:

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
jhereg,

What kind of tail cap is it? a Z-52 twisty or a Z-57 clicky.

If its a Z-52 I'd be willing to buy it if the outside shell is not scratched up.

Bill

jhereg

Enlightened
jhereg,

What kind of tail cap is it? a Z-52 twisty or a Z-57 clicky.

If its a Z-52 I'd be willing to buy it if the outside shell is not scratched up.

Bill

It's a Z-52. It has a few scratches. I'm not going to sell it. It appears the problem is corrosion on the contact inside it. I've disassembled it & cleaned it up a bit. I'll see if that works until they get me the spare.