Surefire LED Module

I know that Surefire has released the G2 and 6P in LED versions. I'm assuming that they are simply changing the lamp module. Does anyone know if they play to release it as a standalone module to upgrade existing G2/3 and 6/9P lights?

NickDrak

Enlightened
Originally posted on 10-8 forums:

"The P60L was conceived by Surefire's Advanced Research & Development department in an effort to enable owners of Surefire handheld and weapon lights with a 1.25" bezel diameter to upgrade to the latest LED technology. The drop in module utilizes the Seoul Semiconductor LED which is the CREE die packaged in the SSI optic. The circuitry is thermally regulated and the reflector is machined aluminum with a light stipple coating. The P60L will be formally introduced on August 8, 2007 in the aluminum 6P LED and nitrolon G2 LED. The advantages over incandescent lamps are higher peak output, longer runtime, a more gradual drop off in output and no filament bulb to burn out or break. The target introduction date for the P60L is November, 2007 and it will retail for $36.00.

When handling the P60L, care must be taken to keep sharp objects, oil and particulate matter away from the surface of the LED since foreign materials in the open reflector design could adversly affect the beam quality. The beam was designed to provide a slightly diffused hot center with a large peripheral. The P60L can be used with either the Surefire 6 volt or 9 volt systems. It is one of the first of a new generation of LED products that will include even higher output derivatives."

Charles Koomruian, Jr.
General Manager, Advanced R&D
Surefire, LLC

Size15's

Flashaholic
Re: Surefire P60L LED Module

It seems that the P60L LED Module will have a 'peak' output of 80 lumens when used 'momentarily' / briefly.
Due to thermal regulation considerations - constant-on the output is better described as approximately 65 lumens regulated for 3 hours in the G2, or approximately 75 lumens regulated for 2 hours in the 6P. The output will then decrease considerably for another 9 hours or so of usable light.

I would like to see this tested by a number of CPF members output/runtime charts.

Thanks for the info, I've got a G2 and 6P that are currently running $12 DX drop-ins and i've been very dissatisfied with the reliability of those modules. They're plenty bright, but if I wanted a light that only comes on 1/3 of the time, and needs to be whacked to work, I would have bought a $3 Eveready at the market.

Size15s,
What do you know about availability of KX2 modules? I'd like to start carrying my E2e again, but I don't want to spend money on another incan when LED is right around the corner.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info, I've got a G2 and 6P that are currently running $12 DX drop-ins and i've been very dissatisfied with the reliability of those modules. They're plenty bright, but if I wanted a light that only comes on 1/3 of the time, and needs to be whacked to work, I would have bought a $3 Eveready at the market.

You should try one of BugOut Gears premium drop ins.
170 lumens and build like a tank. I EDC my G2 with this drop in,
it has never failed.

I can't see myself wanting to own a Surefire dropin with my current setup.

Gimmy

Newly Enlightened

Hi electromage

I have three of those $12 DX drop-ins, two are in G2s and one is in C2. One of the G2 was having similar problem as your modules, after screwing out the bottom of the module to have better metal contact with the G2 body the symtom disappeared. But that was only about two sets of batteries ago, hope the info can help you until the surefire P60L comes out.

As soon as the P60L comes out I am getting some myself.

Cheers

Gimmy

Size15's

Flashaholic
Size15s,
What do you know about availability of KX2 modules? I'd like to start carrying my E2e again, but I don't want to spend money on another incan when LED is right around the corner.
I think your question is - "Do you know when SureFire will make the KX2 bezel available as an accessory?"
My answer is - no I don't. I suspect that it won't be before the end of this year. I figure that SureFire will want to ensure demand for whole products is satisfied first, and it may take some time to build up sufficient stock of bezels so they can be offered as accessories.

Al

willie92708

Newly Enlightened
My suggestion is to call sales or customer service and bug them. The more demand, the more likely SureFire will do something.