Brightest (Throw) For under $300

Nautilus

Newly Enlightened
I've been on my enthusiast fishing tackle forum and feeding the resulting addiction for the last few months and have lost track of what's going on with all the new LEDs being offered in the new lights. So what is the best and brightest light at the moment? I'm back on lights for a few months and need to get a few......fill me in everyone! I'm really into tight beams and lots of throw but wouldn't opposed to hearing about anything that's really bright. What are the new CREE surefires only rating to 65 lumens give or take? I would also like a powerful UV light if anyone knows of a good one....kind of small would be good.

Last edited:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
aspheric mag if you can build it, which isn't that difficult.

The Pelican 7060 seems to have great throw and has cradle rechargeability for ~$100.

My 7060 comes UPS tomorrow afternoon, but I leave for Kentucky for 4 days in the morning. :sigh: My neighbor is going to hold it for me.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Newly Enlightened
aspheric mag if you can build it, which isn't that difficult.

Thanks! I'm not that into Mag Lights due to size and really like the tactical types but anything will work as long as it looks slick. Are the Mags you refer to light normal Mag lights or am I confused? I haven't got into modding LEDs yet....just IC. Any good link to a place I could learn about it?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! I'm not that into Mag Lights due to size and really like the tactical types but anything will work as long as it looks slick. Are the Mags you refer to light normal Mag lights or am I confused? I haven't got into modding LEDs yet....just IC. Any good link to a place I could learn about it?

This is a good thread. It has lots of info.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been on my enthusiast fishing tackle forum and feeding the resulting addiction for the last few months and have lost track of what's going on with all the new LEDs being offered in the new lights. So what is the best and brightest light at the moment? I'm back on lights for a few months and need to get a few......fill me in everyone! I'm really into tight beams and lots of throw but wouldn't opposed to hearing about anything that's really bright. What are the new CREE surefires only rating to 65 lumens give or take? I would also like a powerful UV light if anyone knows of a good one....kind of small would be good.
Have a look at the Lumapower MRV http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=162392 or the Tiablo A8 http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=166720. Here's a link of a comparison review by StefanFS: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169070

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with a A19 with a Cree . The first versions of this were driven at 817 MA. Very bright cost $160
Another very bright is the 27LT which Wes driven again at 817 mA. The larger reflector makes this a real thrower. The heavy duty body/ build makes this a virtual indestructible light.
You may also want to have a look at the Gotham on the bst forum and at sighthound. This is a real 200 +_ lumen at the emitter flashlight. the emitter is said to be driving the emitter pretty hard.
I highly recommend that you look for a light which uses 2 lithium rechargeable cells. Single cell lights when using primary cells attempt to pull too much power from the battery...NOT GOOD.

the available current on li-ion rechargeable cells is greater then the current available when using primaries.

The HD45 is another light you may want to look at.
Your question is unclear at best. You have said that you do not like the form factor of a mag light. What size of light are ou looking for?
What other restrictions are there besides the size must be smaller than a mag ...which mag? Have you seen a 2 cell "C" mag which has been modified? They are not that big and they make great platform for modding. I have done many. The flashlight I made for my mother with a 1000ma driven LUX III emitter is extremely bright. With today's emitters that light would be 2X as bright.
Anyway you need to be more specific about the size of light you want. What will you be using the light for? does it need to be water proof?
what do you need in a flash light? Is runtime a major factor? you can make a very bright which only runs for a few minutes...Lights which are bright for the sake of being bright are quite useless in my opinion.
If size was not a factor was going to recommend a Costco HID by far the brightest flashlight I own and it cost under $80.00 it throws a monster beam miles.
So I say again what are you looking for besides a smaller than mag light which costs under $300.00
Yaesumofo

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
TK70, Lambda lights VaraPower Turbo or for pure throw a Deere light DBS asphyric EZ900

Surefire Fury will do 500lm

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
DEFT-edc fits right in a pocket!

The one on the right (and it's from your home state (or is it the Country) of Texas;

CIMG2161Resized.jpg

CIMG2160Resized.jpg

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight SR90 is a good thrower.

Under 300$? where?????

I'm sure the OP has found his love in the last 5 years, but still a subject of actuality... I'd have to say the modern off-the-shelf king thrower under 300$ has to be the TK70... I can see the whole field now.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Silly thing duplicated the post.

Last edited:

awenta

Enlightened
:oops:, I google failed. Was looking for some information and didn't notice the date. Sorry. But I'm not alone. :nana::ohgeez: