Diffuser for Fenix P2D?--success!

GregWormald

Enlightened
Does anybody know of a diffuser that will fit a P2D. I'm really looking for either a 'fit-over' the lens/bezel, or a piece of plastic that adheres to the lens and can be removed and re-used.
This is to make the light a 'floodie' for close work and yet be easily removed for longer range light.
Thanks,
Greg

See post number 21 for results.
Greg

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Diffuser for Fenix P2D?

the cheapest way, put a tab (fold over) on the end of a piece of scotch transparency tape (the stuff you can write on), and stick it on the face of it. its just the right ammount of difusion for things like headlamps and to spotty lights.

what might be cool is a piece of VINYL, as long as it stayed clean it would stick on and off easily, and protect the lens while on. with a sheet of the right difussion vinyl sombody could make them in all shapes and sizes and sell them for very little.

along the same idea of the vinyl, is a screensaver, the ultra glare reducing (not clear) screensavers for pdas and p2ps and stuff, you could make many non-adhesive stick ons from one piece. problem with them is they would have to stay meticulously clean, and would be harder to remove.

find a Plastic cap (its in your junk drawer) or find one at the hardware store, preferably the clear ones, white is way to much difussion.

Clear Heat shrink tubing is the right ammount of difusion.

overhead transparencies designed for inkjet printers have microperfs that make them diffused lightly

the white plastic bags from the grocery store work.

the clear top on food products, is just the right ammount too. plastic clear lids

Last edited:

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened

The frosted plastic used in the tray of white translucent CD/DVD jewel cases makes a good diffuser. Unfortunately, it's difficult to mount temporarily and not easy to cut without good tools.

tomL

Newly Enlightened

What I put on my 3D Mag would probably work here.

Fellowes WriteRight

This is a screen protector for a PDA. It adds just the right amount of diffusion to the 3D to take out all the rings. I stuck it on the inside of the glass lens.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast

An idea:

Leuchtaufsatz.jpg

LeuchtaufsatzinAction.jpg

Best regards

_____
Tom

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast

lmao, Hmm do you smell strawbery? Oh ... thats right its my "diffuser" lol :thumbsup:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast

ya i dont see anything with "fast" or "review" as i said.. you lost me. Cant you just post a simple link to something?

gunga

Flashaholic

Fastcar's diffuser rocks, now if I can only find a way to mount in on a P2D without having to remove the reflector etc...

:confused:

GregWormald

Enlightened

Keep the ideas coming guys, I haven't seen the ideal yet.
To be more specific the diffuser should be easily removable and re-attachable, and leave some sort of beam. What I want is to turn my P2D into a semi-flood.
My best bet so far is a translucent soft plastic 2CD case. This has 2 levels of translucency. (Ideally I'd like something like the clear but patterned fluro diffusers.) I'm going to try cutting out a circle the size of the inside of the reflector with 3 or 4 small "ears" that I'll try and wedge in the O-ring gap under the bezel. I hope this will come out with a flick of a fingernail and then snap back into place.
I like the glove fingers and will use that for candle mode--thanks Long John.
Greg

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast

Keep the ideas coming guys, I haven't seen the ideal yet.
To be more specific the diffuser should be easily removable and re-attachable, and leave some sort of beam. What I want is to turn my P2D into a semi-flood.
My best bet so far is a translucent soft plastic 2CD case. This has 2 levels of translucency. (Ideally I'd like something like the clear but patterned fluro diffusers.) I'm going to try cutting out a circle the size of the inside of the reflector with 3 or 4 small "ears" that I'll try and wedge in the O-ring gap under the bezel. I hope this will come out with a flick of a fingernail and then snap back into place.
I like the glove fingers and will use that for candle mode--thanks Long John.
Greg

Your concept of a diffuser is same as mine. I have seen the surefire ones and it softens the beam so you get a light that works close range but still has a light beam. What most people refer now to as a diffuser is designed into making the light an omni-directional light source for super close work illumination. not really my thing. I want something to soften the beam so i can light someones face to take a picture withought them being like "AGhhHHhh bright light" ya know?

gunga

Flashaholic

Again, fastcar's diffuser material.

Ghetto way would be to cut a circle or square, with 2 tabs. Tape the tabs to the side of the light bezel for use.

The only convenient way I can think of now. The meterial is great for a soft flood with no real hot spot. It's works as you describe, but perhaps is even too floody for you?

FASTCAR

Banned

Even with my diffuser,you cant shine a 170 lumen light in the face.
Maybee at 20L you can