Wide/shallow vs narrow/deep for throw

JRTJRT

Newly Enlightened
I've heard that a wide and shallow reflector is good for throw (lanterns, spotlights), but I've also heard that a narrow and deep reflector is good for throw (SLPP4AA). Which is it?

:thinking:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflector in my SL Scorpion LED throws extremely well and it is deep relative to competitive lights. The reflector produces a very tight hotspot. The wide/shallow reflectors will have a larger, but fairly dim spill area, while the narrow/deep reflectors have a smaller spill area which is much brighter. I personally like the narrow/deep reflectors, but I don't think many people like the added length, and most people like the look of the large head thinking it will give them amazing throw and output (general consumer).

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
I know I know. Old thread, why you bring it back from dead, let it be, then I'll get the use the search function fellows. Can't win in this situation lol.

I was wondering about this recently. I just got a Pelican 3310 and it has a shallow kinda fat reflector. Yet it throws pretty darn good. It has just over 1/3 the lumens of my MT10A but has the same candela. I figured it would be pretty floody but it throws very good. A touch under 200M of (rated) throw.

The thing impresses me with the run time, no step downs. I know it's not an approved light due to PWM in low, but unless your just bouncing it off walls to write a review instead of using it to light things up you won't care, really, you wouldn't. The run time on high and no stepping down, real good user and it's easy to find in pitch black darkness. Darn thing glows bright and forever.

But back to topic. Don't care really about the math or dimensions of it. For a shallow fat reflector this thing throws. Decent tint to it too.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good bump.

If pwm doesn't bug you, enjoy that light.

I was checking out the one at the Pelican store vs the one at Bright Guy. The one at bg is brighter and has much better runtime but... the older model throws better (according to the numbers).
Pelican lights began as dive lights way back when so throwers have always been at the forefront. But their newer stuff is going max-mix'd beam like so many others are doing now. Some throw is being replaced by a broader amount of bright light.

Oh, and thanks for bumping this to mention the Pelican 3310. My wallet will be a little slimmer though....

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
as reflector diameter becomes larger the hotspot becomes smaller relative to spillbeam

reflector depth makes the entire beam including spill narrower, thus making the hotspot narrower as well

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a lot of trade-offs in reflector design, but the basic rule of thumb is that a wider and somewhat shallower smooth-reflector (commonly known as a "turbohead") will focus the light down into a spot and give you tons of throw. A deeper but narrower reflector is usually combined with some kind of light "orange peel" stippling to produce a more flood biased beam.

This can, of course, be modified by the shape of the lens, and also if the lens has any kind of diffusion coating.

Of course when you get into the monster (1000 lumen+) lights, even a deep, narrow, light orange peel, reflector can give you some amazing throw simply because the light has such a huge pool of photons to send downrange.