In honor of Lava Lite lamps...

Talk about the ones you own.
I got a generic red was in clear liquid in 32 oz from a dumpster. It's pretty groovy.

I guess it's been around since 1960s. I'm thinking of getting a different one.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Sometime between 1989 and 1996, I had a traditional lava lamp; I believe it had blue liquid with white or light green "lava".
Size was I believe 32 oz.
I never saw it after late-1996, so I'm assuming it got left behind after a move I made on 09-30-06.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I've been wondering for a while how bright a LED light could be, to equal the correct amount of heat for one of those. I think it'd be _really_ bright. And imagine changing colors too.

As long as the total heat output was correct, there are all sorts of neat light effects that could be playing through the bottle.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think an LED will work since the heat doesn't get projected out the front, like an incandescent bulb... You'll need to figure out how to get the heat from the heat sink BEHIND the LED to the lava container to get it to heat up... :)

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one of the original ones from waay back. Red lava, gold base. Lately I have one of the Spencer's mix-n-match kits, opted for all red. Wally World had some Lava Lite branded battery units that sport a rotating inner triangle with flashing leds. Runs off of AAA's, don'ty know why. I can watch it slow down. It does have a port for a wall wart.

There was an episode of Mythbusters not that long ago that dealt with lava lamps exploding the way this one was said to have exploded.
I believe the myth was "plausible"; neither "confirmed" nor "busted".

It was confirmed.
http://www.mythbustersfanclub.com/mb2/content/view/208/27/

That idiot put it on a stove top though. 35W HID makes 35W of heat (the light, when trapped in that manner, all turns into heat, just like 40W lightbulb makes 40W.